PDA

View Full Version : To Chop or to Brat

dannyb
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
So i'm about to get a 78 yamaha xs650 with mag wheels and am conflicted on which way i should take it.

A. Throw on a rigid hardtail, peanut tank, dirt track bars, solo seat, etc

OR

B. Do a streettracker/bratstyle type bike like the SR500 featured today.

PLEASE SEND ME SUGGESTIONS! I VALUE ANY AND ALL OPINIONS!

independentrider1
08-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I personally like the looks of the weld on tail section. To me is really says chopped.

TRUMPNUT
08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Well how about you just do somthing custom then .

Isn't a "Brat" style just a form of chopping but without making it a hardtail ?

TemeculaTerry
08-02-2009, 1:11 PM
Yeh man,
You want a cruiser or a racer, what do you feel when you look a the bike...

I always go the route of doing what you like and if you cant figure it out then maybe the bike isnt what you like.
Trumpnut said it best...

The new bobber = bratt, lol

TRUMPNUT
08-02-2009, 1:47 PM
Yeh man,
You want a cruiser or a racer, what do you feel when you look a the bike...

I always go the route of doing what you like and if you cant figure it out then maybe the bike isnt what you like.
Trumpnut said it best...

The new bobber = bratt, lolDanm now the yuppies will be saying that one at Bike Night instead of " nice bobber bro "

deucepjd
08-02-2009, 4:21 PM
Street tracker all the way for that ride. Chop your next sporty.

Bloodhound
08-02-2009, 4:54 PM
So i'm about to get a 78 yamaha xs650 with mag wheels and am conflicted on which way i should take it.

OR

I don't either is the wrong or right way to go. If I get another xs it will be a brat. You will just have to decide which you like more.

Isgro
08-02-2009, 5:40 PM
In the end I think that's a decision that you'll have to make yourself. Do you have a style preference? Either direction is great so get working and make it happen.

dannyb
08-02-2009, 6:42 PM
I know i want both, but can only have one at a time. My inital thought is that if i built the rigid first and ride the hell out of it for awhile, i could sell it and then build the tracker. For some reason, i think the rigid would be a easier sale for me than the tracker style here in minnesota.

dannyb
08-02-2009, 6:44 PM
I'm also the only guy in my neck of the woods who rocks the metal flake helmet, wears Taylors and dickies instead of leather chaps and vests.

Halwade
08-02-2009, 6:55 PM
I'm also the only guy in my neck of the woods who rocks the metal flake helmet, wears Taylors and dickies instead of leather chaps and vests.

Hey--what's wrong with chaps? I'm just getting ready to do a ChopCult Shootout on concho chaps vs. one-piece ballistic nylon riding suits.

If you build a bobber, I'd go with the chaps.

If you build the Bratstyle bike, I'd go with the jumpsuit.

NO matter which bike you choose, the metal flake helmet is perfect.

dannyb
08-02-2009, 7:20 PM
my daily rider is a 2002 bonneville america, and for some reason, i think chaps would look really gay on that bike. Thats just me though. my harley friends swear by their chaps, as they help alot up here in frozen minnesota.

TemeculaTerry
08-02-2009, 8:15 PM
Assless chaps look ghey on any bike, but talking about what you wear when riding beats the gheyness factor in any arena...

Although I am a supporter of equal rights so go for it and fucking homo out...

CaptainBob
08-02-2009, 8:50 PM
Are you asking which trend to hump?

FlashMotorWorks
08-02-2009, 8:52 PM
Assless chaps look ghey on any bike, but talking about what you wear when riding beats the gheyness factor in any arena...

Although I am a supporter of equal rights so go for it and fucking homo out...

no to highjack a thread about whos bike to copy but....

I never understood the term "assless chaps"
I mean if they are chaps they automaticly dont have an ass.
chaps with the ass installed would then just be pants am i wrong?

dannyb
08-02-2009, 9:08 PM
I didnt mean to insult anyones infatuation with leather, i was just looking for some bike advice. thanks to those who gave it.

PoorBastard
08-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Well, whatever you do. Just remember that "bratting" a bike out isn't a cheaper or easier way to make a bike cool. I get so frustrated by guys who throw a solo seat and a stock tank from another bike on their's and call it done.

Look at everything on the bikes from Japan and see how much work goes into those things. Virtually every piece of sheetmetal is different, the frame modified, and there are so many subtle mods.

The reason why they are cool is specifically bc they do not have one particular mod which makes them stand out. Its a grouping of subtle mods that make them just emanate coolness rather than poking you in the eye with a particular look.

Not trying to call you out or anything, just a general thought.

superflysnow
08-03-2009, 12:38 AM
x2

i have often thought about attemting to do the jap custom look, but have decided against it for 1 main reason. Parts are readily available and interchangeable to build a narrow tire chopper out of anything. rigid frame swaps, double whitewalls with speedmaster fronts an old sporty tank and you are good to go.

with the "bratstyle" bikes, it is not as easy as a quick seat swap and lowering kit. worse off i know that i will continue to ride it as long as possible while trying to achieve "the look" thus, in actuality, be pretending to be riding something its not....

I would be a "brat poser"

If you are going to do it, do it right, take it down to nothing, then rebuild it using proportions, overall look, etc... dont just paint it black and throw a $90 la pera solo seat on it

just my $ .02
-josh

willythepirate
08-03-2009, 3:31 AM
find a bunch of pics of each style that you like the most pics wins, or you could flip a coin, play rock paper scissors with a friend or arm wrestle. either way its up to you

onigoroshi
08-03-2009, 4:53 AM
the style this season is sweatpants boners and uggs ftw

nico
08-03-2009, 5:02 AM

OR

why don't you go for something wild...but rideable
maybe a mix of board-tracker and cafe-racer?

jason43
08-03-2009, 9:09 AM
Well, whatever you do. Just remember that "bratting" a bike out isn't a cheaper or easier way to make a bike cool. I get so frustrated by guys who throw a solo seat and a stock tank from another bike on their's and call it done.

Look at everything on the bikes from Japan and see how much work goes into those things. Virtually every piece of sheetmetal is different, the frame modified, and there are so many subtle mods.

The reason why they are cool is specifically bc they do not have one particular mod which makes them stand out. Its a grouping of subtle mods that make them just emanate coolness rather than poking you in the eye with a particular look.

Well put, I don't think a lot of people get exactly how much effort it takes to actually make one of those bikes look the way they do.

If you are going to do it, do it all the way... and do it right. I'd say build it for the type of riding you plan on doing rather than limit yourself to a style. If your bike is quality and you pay attention to details, you are going to love it and its going to get noticed either way. Best of luck on the build!

dannyb
08-03-2009, 9:51 AM

i could not agree more, it takes a fine eye to make a cool brat bike. way to many sprung bikes with solo seat, flat black paint and hacked off exhaust. Although i could "work on it as i go" i actually think it would take more time and money to do the brat bike up right as compared to a chop. Both are such cool styles though.

Nick
08-04-2009, 4:55 AM
here is a peek at my XS brat build....I went w/ the brat look just because in my city there are a zillion hardtailed XS's and I just wanted to do one a little different but listen to these guys it takes a whole lotta more work and money than buyin a hardtail to weld on....
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x80/nicholai568/DSC007191.jpg

dannyb
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Good Advice all. Nick and the guys are absolutely right, it is tough to make a good bratstyle bike, especially one that stands out becuase of its subtle custom tricks. In my town (pop. 75,000) i have seen 1 xs rigid, and the rest of the "choppers" in town are the mass produced v-twin kind, like Iron Horse or Big Dog. You know the type. I think i am going to go with a rigid this time around, with the idea of selling it in a season or two to finance a brat type build, with the hope that my fabrication skills will be a little more dialed in by then.

Thanks again to all those that offered their two cents.

HOTROD
08-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm having the same debate about what to do with an XS400 project i have. I have done the generic weld on hardtail on a couple of XS650's, and its a fun and fairly quick process. Has anyone seen a "kit" for the 400? I have only come across 1 on the internerd and it looked pretty ehhh. If i can't find one I might give a go at keeping the swing arm.

VonFuct
08-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I was having the same debate on my XS as well; chop, bob, or brat... or boardtracker? I ended Up going with a new frame all together and it's looking like it's gonna be more of a chobberat. But the frame was exactly what I wanted, 32 degrees of rake, 2" stretch, single downtube, low, and best part it was cheap. So yeah, I see my bike when being done having touches of most of the above... when applicable.

FlashMotorWorks
08-04-2009, 11:09 PM
^^ chobberat???
that hurts my head. mabee you meant well.

onigoroshi
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
it's difficult to put together any bike that looks coherent, doesn't matter if it's swingarm or not. i'd start from the perspective of the guys in japan who are building them and think about what would pass a japanese inspection. you can't ditch pretty much any part the bike originally had, and your bike will be inspected based upon its original spec from the factory. ie if it came from the factory with a swingarm you have to keep the swingarm. so in a way the bike has to stay true to its original form even though you're chopping it. if you can make it look cool and still keep everything it had originally, you are basically 9/10 of the way there. that's not to say it's the only way a cool bike or there aren't any other ways to do it but that is the environment shops like bratstyle are working under.

XbrooklynX
08-05-2009, 1:46 AM
I love the mistake of the two.

tommybored
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
i found this swing arm on line and went from there had a 83 xj 650 hard tail bobber and sold it now i have a flattrack bike if u need any web sites let me know

Nick
08-06-2009, 12:09 AM
it's difficult to put together any bike that looks coherent, doesn't matter if it's swingarm or not. i'd start from the perspective of the guys in japan who are building them and think about what would pass a japanese inspection. you can't ditch pretty much any part the bike originally had, and your bike will be inspected based upon its original spec from the factory. ie if it came from the factory with a swingarm you have to keep the swingarm. so in a way the bike has to stay true to its original form even though you're chopping it. if you can make it look cool and still keep everything it had originally, you are basically 9/10 of the way there. that's not to say it's the only way a cool bike or there aren't any other ways to do it but that is the environment shops like bratstyle are working under.

oh wow I didn't know that....so in Japan the bike has to be factory specs to pass inspection? or atleast the frame

eightthirtysixcc
08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Somebody complimented me on my "brat style" bike the other day. I had no clue what he was talking about, still don't.

FlashMotorWorks
08-06-2009, 12:36 AM
fuckin retards saw the flag painted on the tank and figured, "it must be bratstyle....look at the flag" haha

philbey
08-06-2009, 12:57 AM
That's pretty funny. Turkeys.

VonFuct
08-06-2009, 2:52 AM
^^ chobberat???
that hurts my head. mabee you meant well.

i almost never mean well.

KawiDave
08-06-2009, 4:14 AM
If I were building another bike right now it would probably have a swing arm, as my back is hurtin like hell today, but if you ask me next week I would say hardtail it.

captainawesome
08-06-2009, 8:30 AM
i want to ride one of these "bratstyle" bikes to see how well that whole whopping 1/8" of suspension travel feels to your kidneys. most don't look like the shocks would even compress without locking the rear wheel up against the fender. i am pretty sure a hardtail with a sprung seat would absorb more road energy than most of the "brats" i see.

jason43
08-06-2009, 8:36 AM
i want to ride one of these "bratstyle" bikes to see how well that whole whopping 1/8" of suspension travel feels to your kidneys. most don't look like the shocks would even compress without locking the rear wheel up against the fender. i am pretty sure a hardtail with a sprung seat would absorb more road energy than most of the "brats" i see.

I also have wondered about how the fenders don't rub on those slammed bikes. I could see if you attached the fender to the swingarm, but a lot of them don't look like they are mounted that way... I had 11" Progressives on my sporty and had the fender mounted stock height and it rubbed every time I hit a pothole... with the mounting a half inch off the tire, its gotta be terrible... or they like buying those firestones at $250 a pop...

Doc22
08-06-2009, 9:01 AM
Just got me an '80 XS 650 and I'm really diggin' the swingarm "brat" stuff personally. I think I'll hump that trend for my build but to each his own. I stole this pic from XS 650 dot com for some inspiration.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/Doc22HAMB/XS6502.jpg

josh
08-06-2009, 9:12 AM
brat is not a verb.

mplsdave
08-06-2009, 9:23 AM
either way you go, you will be one of few around here. whether you build it to be bratstyle or a chopper, you built it, and thats more than alot of people can say. looking forward to seeing the build thread, and then riding in our metal flake helmets around mn when its done!

gravelveins
08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
with the mag wheels...
i say brat all the way!

delete the battery..shave the seat..fat tires...the rest is history!

swiffer
08-07-2009, 4:25 PM
My 2 cents:If you are going to ride it more than a hour at a time brat over hard tail any day.If you are bar hopping hard tail over brat any day.Just ride everyday.

Yamahad
08-07-2009, 5:36 PM
Don't be gay, do what you want.

It's like asking if your butt looks big in your jeans.

leadfootedkid
08-07-2009, 5:58 PM
Go for the brat style, hard tails are cool and all. But there is something to be said about rear suspension even if its old a crappy.

nickle
08-07-2009, 6:03 PM
Brat Style is a shop, and leaving the rear suspension or your bike doesn't eliminate classification as a 'chop'.

CutterXcore
08-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Let's see a mono-shock !

dannyb
09-01-2009, 7:50 PM
will do Mpls Dave, probably wont be done until spring, but for the time bein i always got my 02 Bonneville america with mini-apes.

dannyb
09-01-2009, 7:57 PM
By "brat style" i meant the ones with the long flat seats, and more of standard shock length, not the ones with super short suspension (used to pass Japanese inspection). Something like the Erwin sr500 or this...

Boylecomm
09-02-2009, 7:25 PM
Junk pile!

minority
09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
go for the super minimal "cafe" check out "Bike Exif" for some ideas of style, never heard this"brat" term before, where does that come from?

sure
09-04-2009, 8:00 AM
I find this whole thing funny coming from a guy who has such strong opinions about what others should or shouldn't do with their own builds.
Just proves you are just as clueless and unoriginal as running a sportster tank..

dannyb
09-07-2009, 8:01 PM
I find this whole thing funny coming from a guy who has such strong opinions about what others should or shouldn't do with their own builds.
Just proves you are just as clueless and unoriginal as running a sportster tank..

Geez, so i make one critical comment on a bike, like 2 weeks ago, which had more to do with the jab to biltwell than anything else, and you cant let it go. Fine. In my opinion sporsters tanks are a tad overused on xs650 choppers, its just my opinion.

dannyb
09-07-2009, 8:08 PM
and i agree, as the poster, this post needs to be moved to the junk pile or deleted completely so i can quit looking at it. i posted this soon after Chopcult launched as a way to spark some conversation, and its done its job.

Allen
09-12-2009, 7:09 PM
Nothing wrong with a little bump and grind on a humper. Like the start of your XS. Can't afford a hard-tail = so what in my book. Ride what you got and enjoy!