PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Gas Cap

Scooterhead
09-26-2009, 2:03 AM
Hi, I'm currently getting around on a circa '64 TR6 (unit) and can't seem to fix a leaking gas cap problem. I have to get around with only half a tank of gas because any more and it leaks (drains/floods/pours) out at an alarming rate any time there's a bump, etc. I bought a new cork ring for the cap from the trumpy parts supplier but it did'nt make a bit of difference, I also tried using two in there, one on top of the other but they wont allow the cap to go on. Any suggestions, and the tank is a Wassel.

TRUMPNUT
09-27-2009, 1:49 PM
Is it a big cap or little cap tank ? I would just replace the cap with a new one and make sure the sealing surface is flat on the tank if it is not file it flat . If it is a little cap tank just get the Triumph oil tank cap for a late 60's unit .

Scooterhead
09-27-2009, 4:44 PM
Its the big cap (standard Triumph), Im going to try another seal, failing that I'm going to put a heavier spring in there and see if that works.

framus
09-28-2009, 9:29 AM
The heavier spring should help, I would check to see if there isn't a spot of rust or irregularity under the flange lip itself.