PDA

View Full Version : My first chop - 1980 KZ750 Twin

SteveO
09-21-2009, 9:48 PM
I picked-up a 1980 KZ750 twin on Craigslist for $300. This is going to be a budget build ($600 or less). It will be a locked swingarm, extended 4" and hardtailed. Still up in the air about my tank choice. I want to keep the mid-controls, but I may have to move them forward for more leg room but I'll wait and see how it feels when I get the seat mocked up. Here is what I have so far......

I'll post more pictures as I progress.

oldschoolsoldier
09-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Throw that black and green tank in the background on there....Looks good

SteveO
09-22-2009, 3:02 PM
That is my intention, but I will have to re-work the tunnel due to the motor mount bars on the frame. I think a flat side sporty tank with a low tunnel might work better. I just haven't found one cheap enough.

SteveO
09-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Here are some shots from tonight's work.

junkyard2
09-24-2009, 10:38 PM
cant wait to see more...gotta love these beautiful kzs....

SteveO
09-25-2009, 9:21 AM
Here is a pic of the hardtail that is pretty much done. I say pretty much done, I got a little excited and shot it with some rattle can primer before welding in my cross members.

billybiltit
09-25-2009, 10:40 AM
wow,this is going to be killer!
i have to commend anyone who has enough sack to cut up such a nice clean bike to build there dream.twins lend themseves so well to the chop treatment.good job and keep us posted.

leon holmes

SteveO
09-25-2009, 1:25 PM
I don't know if it is sack or stupidity, but I thought what the hell. There was a certain amount of pucker factor the night I was sitting there with a saw ready to hack the ass end off. My bailout was to ebay everything and get my money back out of it, if I screwed anything up.

junkyard2
09-26-2009, 11:41 AM
yea i know the feeling your talking about..where your just standing there looking and thinking if i fuck this up im never gonna hear the end of it.lol

SteveO
09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Here's a little progress. Got the tank and rear fender mocked up tonight.

billybiltit
09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
lookin good!
keep us posted,

leon holmes

dirtyd
09-30-2009, 7:46 AM
YES !! 750 twins are the rockinest kz's out there for choppin. Ive got one right now im working on. Tig Man is hard tailing the frame. I like how you extended the swing arm, where do you buy your tubing from ? I need to get some but dont know where to get it from. Your build is comin out really cool if you want to get rid of that black and green tank im looking for one like that pm me a price and i can pay pal you if its affordable. Hey more dough for the build right ? . man post up some more pics !!

SteveO
10-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I bought my tubing from Reeve's Engineering here in Wichita. If you are ever through Wichita, I have about 19' of 1.5" and about 10' of 1.25"! I had to buy 20' lengths. I can't sell the green and black tank, it was a gift from Robzilla. I'm planning on using it on the next build.

SteveO
10-05-2009, 9:59 PM
Got the seat pan and handle bars on it. Needs a headlight, tail light, plate mount and battery box, then I'm going to ride the shit out of it until winter. I'll worry about the details later. I'm ready to ride!

SteveO
10-11-2009, 1:55 AM
Finished her up tonight! Fired up with 3 kicks!

Here is a picture. Actually took this before I terminated the wiring tonight.

I can't believe it's done and it runs.

lobstermobster
10-11-2009, 9:11 AM
that is going to be one fun bike to ride.

Joe666
10-11-2009, 2:15 PM
more pics please :)

SteveO
10-11-2009, 5:57 PM
Here are some more pictures. Only thing left is to fab a plate holder, hand grips, leather for the seat, and paint (I'm kind of liking the raw metal look now). She runs strong and is loud as hell with the open pipes.

junkyard2
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
yet another beautiful kz....looks rad man

billybiltit
10-13-2009, 9:55 AM
damn,with all the duramax chevelles people been turning out i knew it wouldn't be long before someone built a bike with one :-> !always figured they would look more "portly",hehe.
great job man the bike looks good,keep us posted.

leon holmes

NHMike
10-13-2009, 9:58 AM
A thing of beauty man, great work!!

dirtyd
10-13-2009, 6:11 PM
that came out cool as shit man !!! hows she ride, looks like it would track like a stinger missle. Did you rejet for the air pods pray tell

SteveO
10-13-2009, 6:31 PM
You know, it handles much better than I had anticipated. I've only ridden it maybe 10 miles (no insurance or tag until tomorrow so I wanted to stay close).

I went through the carbs and gave them an overnight soak in solvent. Blew compressed air through everything. Drilled the main out to 140, using a kit of tiny drill bits from Harbor Freight. I put new pilot jets in and someone had already shimmed the needle valve. There are three shims installed now, I will probably take at least one out. Plugs are sooted up after cruising around the hood so I think it is running a little rich in the mid-range.

dirtyd
10-13-2009, 6:47 PM
interesting, where did you get the data on drilling the mains out to 140 and where did you get the jets, reason I ask is Ive got a kz 750 twin I will start putting back together this winter and Im going to pods from the big azz air box. thanks , oh and did you ever decide what you were gonna do with that tube >?

corydjarman
10-21-2009, 7:03 PM
how many miles did the kz have on it when you bought it? im looking at one with about 40k and im wondering if it will go much longer. Advise me

SteveO
10-24-2009, 7:25 PM
Cory - The odometer said 23000, but the title said the mileage was beyond the mechanical limits, so who knows. It doesn't smoke and starts with a couple kicks. I say buy it, then chop the hell out of it. It is fun and therapeutic.

Here is the final product on my build. Came in just over $700 total spend (including bike - bike was $300).

billybiltit
10-24-2009, 8:59 PM
the bike turned out nice,good job.

leon holmes

corydjarman
10-24-2009, 11:27 PM
thanks for the dig man! ill go for it. Booyah on the build!

dirtyd
11-06-2009, 8:22 AM
cory dude them bikes are like the old datsun cars man milage dont mean a thing to em, if they are taken care of they run forever. But i think its like anything else, its whoever had it how they treated it and maintained it. im with Stevo get that thing and chop the fuck out of it. Ive been getting into the jappers more and more. they are easy on the wallet, and look bad as hell and dont leak all over the fuckin place. Stevo, your twin came out kick ass man. I dig the shot of it with the train rollin behind it, makes me think of the crazy train HA!! great job man.

wheels4
11-16-2010, 10:36 PM
yup... i'm bringing this thread back to life. picture was out on the net and I snagged it up for inspiration. can't believe i found it on here... back on page 33 of 38. :D

it's actually my avatar. hope you don't mind SteveO. great build!! :cheersmate:

EricWoodward
11-18-2010, 8:58 PM
Man, I love this thing too, I can't wait to get mine torn down and start hacking it up even more!