PDA

View Full Version : I need a Sportster Tank education

djturnz
02-08-2011, 7:23 AM
I want to go with a Sporty tank on my KZ750. I have seen enough bikes running these with the triple backbone that I know how it will look.

I have also looked at some sporty tanks. It seems that they are not all the same. I guess different years had different mounts and tunnels and petcock locations? Is there a specific year range or configuration that works best? Just looking at various pics online, it looks like the biggest issue will be if the petcock ends up right over the frame rail.

Some tanks look more triangular from the side and some look rounder.

Also, are they all the same capacity?

Where can I get schooled on sportster tanks so that I know what I am looking for on ebay or at a swap meet?

IS THERE a "geneology" of the tanks, or did they just make them however they needed to each year?

cros36
02-08-2011, 7:49 AM
with a triple backbone your gonna have to do so fab work on it, so petcocks, mounts and filler could be done then. usually 2.2 gal to 3.1 or something around there for capacity off the top of my head. not really giving an education, but hopefully it helps a little.

Tigman
02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I've got a 3 gallon one with a flush mount pop up cap installed. It's a modified tank. Has flat bottom and widened 3". Use to have it on my sporty but I put a 5 gallon on there instead. The petcock sticks out the side down by the seat.... body work has been done to it and is in flat black rattle can paint. I ran it for about 2 two years. If your interested send me an email... not for free, maybe I'll just ebay....

djturnz
02-08-2011, 10:58 AM
I've got a 3 gallon one with a flush mount pop up cap installed. It's a modified tank. Has flat bottom and widened 3". Use to have it on my sporty but I put a 5 gallon on there instead. The petcock sticks out the side down by the seat.... body work has been done to it and is in flat black rattle can paint. I ran it for about 2 two years. If your interested send me an email... not for free, maybe I'll just ebay....

PM sent

Jasonisdico
11-30-2017, 12:00 PM
I was also interested in this question forever. I could not find anywhere for him, everyone said something, but no real answer. I even desperately searched for sites such as https://educatingessays.co.uk/essay-writers/. I hope, at least here, I will be able to find an answer to all my questions ...

If you’re looking for a Sporty tank and DON’T want to modify it(move petcock, mounts, etc), then your best bet is to buy a new one with an already relocated petcock bung. Eternal Combustion has some, Lowbrow Customs has some, and other could list more. I prefer Eternal, since there’s looks cleaner(welds and seams) right out of the box than Lowbrows.