PDA

View Full Version : XS650 Good Shape VS Bad Shape

Slurpee
02-07-2011, 4:06 PM
Hey, I hope you're all not tiring of my questions yet. I think I am about to purchase the bike I want to start my build on.
I have a choice to make though. I have two bikes that are available one will cost me around $1000 and is in really good condition. Of course i don't need a lot of the crap that's on it anyway but it looks like it's been taken care of.

The other will cost me around $350 but is pretty beat up. I am planning to rip the bike apart anyway but am wanting to avoid engine troubles.

Both bikes are supposed to run. The good one has useable tire and the bad one will need a new set....

The two bikes are in my photo album called bikes I might buy:
http://www.chopcult.com/Slurpee/albums/4126

I'd appreciate any insight. I'm wanting to get the best bike but I'm also not wanting to overpay if I don't have too!

SICKLEBOY
02-07-2011, 4:27 PM
I'd say get the good one , It has wire wheels and thats cooler than the stock mags...also if it has been looked after then the motor may be alot more sound.
You could probably trade off or sell the parts your not useing alot easier if they are in better shape too!
Good luck

YOURADHERE
02-07-2011, 4:33 PM
It's one of those "either way" kinda things. If both have engines in good running condition then I'd go with the cheaper one. For the money saved you could pickup a hardtail kit, new tires and various other parts to get rolling on your build. The cheaper one doesnt look bad, Ive seen WAY worse priced WAY higher.

However if you're not looking to get started on your build right away the more expensive one would be better to clean up a bit, get some of the bugs worked out and ride it while you gather parts for your build. That way you could actually enjoy it while you gather everything you need/want.

ETA: Spoke wheels > Mag Wheels

turtlem1969
02-07-2011, 5:05 PM
I look at it like this, the one in good shape looks like it has been sitting for a long time, going by the amount of dust on it, and could have some serious hidden problems from sitting up. The one in bad shape looks like it could be a daily rider and less likely to have mechanical problems. Now I haven't talked to the owners but that is the picture I get by looking at the pictures. You could always find out what the guy wants for the Nortan behind the one in good shape.

Ember
02-07-2011, 6:25 PM
What are your plans with your build? Are you planning on custom size rims, or are you going to run stock rims?
The guy with the cleaner bike has a Norton sitting next to it, so if he rode the XS, he most likely took care of it. The other bike with the mags looks like it needs a lot of detailing to the engine. Lots of oxidization on the case, so may have sat outside for some time.

I would go look at both if they are close to you. Have them both pull the filter off the side of the case and see if you see black plastic or metal chunks. If they run, have them fire them up for you. I would not pay more than $500 for a bike if I can't hear it run.

Hell, if you have the cash, pick up both bikes.

miller0613
02-07-2011, 8:11 PM
To me they dont look in all that different shape to me aside from the seat. I agree about the spokes vs mags but 650 bucks is a lot of parts and you can sell a bunch of the stock parts depending on which way you are going. I have 2 650's with mags so thats why I prefer spokes (something different) But the cheaper one will do all the same as the "nicer" one as long as they both run

Slurpee
02-08-2011, 12:25 AM
K so basically I need to just act like a man and make my own educated decision! HA HA!
I never have been one to know what's cool and I actually like the mag wheels better....( Have some ideas for paint on em), so the extra value isn't there for me. Judging by the pics however the nicer looking one is in quite a bit better shape. The bad one did spend a couple years outside. Currently neither of them are "running" although both claim to have been running before they stopped being ridden. The nice one 2 years ago and the bad one 5. They both turn over smoothly with the kickstart though.
I've got the guy with the bad one down to $300 and the guy with the nice one is firm on $1000. My take is that with the $700 difference I could get most of my build done if it's on the cheap. Or if the enigne needs some work I'd end up with a rebuilt engine in even better shape then the other bike.... maybe I'm crazy though. The plan is to start tearing it all apart now in the hopes of taking it for it's first ride before the summer is over.

jamesgs4
02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
get both!! Spend a little time making the ugly one look better and flip it yo! Mo-cash potential.
I would be all over a $300 running xs with a title.
edit: opps didnt notice they both didnt run. Fuck, I dont pay more than $150 for non-runners.
1000 bucks and he wont get it running for you ? maybe he is hiding something.

YOURADHERE
02-08-2011, 8:29 AM
$1000 for a non-runner is fucking stupid. Sure it could need something simple like cleaning the carbs out but it could be something more complex and costly. So basically for $700 extra you get one with a less dirty engine and an unripped seat(that you probably wont use anyway). Buy the cheaper one.

turbonate
02-08-2011, 8:36 AM
i like mag wheels because i can plug a tire if i'm away from home, rather than having to dismount/ find whatever made the hole/ pacth or replace the tube/ remount. but i travel a lot on my bikes. i'd get the $300 one for sure. you really can't go wrong since you can buy almost anything for an xs aftermarket anyway.

easyspeed
02-08-2011, 9:28 AM
I'de go with the worse one. And "accidentally" load up that Norton in the background of the pic.

Really though, doesn't look to bad, just dusty. Are the forks straight, does it have compression, is it missing anything, bad rust, frame straight....check it out first then it may not sound like to bad a deal.

SICKLEBOY
02-08-2011, 5:14 PM
Oh hell if neither are running buy the cheaper one ,as long as there is 600 dollars worth of parts you need... offer him two hundred dollars lol

MrBillohnooo
02-08-2011, 9:53 PM
Look at the bottom of the frames for splits in the tubing caused by water getting in there and then freezing up and busting like a water pipe.....and rusting away unseen by all. damhik.

Slurpee
02-09-2011, 1:20 AM
Good tip Mr.B. I'll be looking for sure.
Thanks for that!

rusjack
02-09-2011, 9:45 AM
100% the 300$ one

I would never spend 1000$ on a non runner, but 300$ for a titled non runner is fine. I bet with a little carb cleaning, checking for spark and some clean gas you'd get it going. I could be wrong, but that is what I personally would be doing.

jzhope
02-09-2011, 6:51 PM
id get them both! these bikes aren't being made anymore and you'll want to build another one day. just my 2 cents worth :cheersmate: