PDA

View Full Version : XS Shafties VS Chains

Slurpee
02-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I am trying to get a bike so I can have a brat up and running by summer. I know the XS seems to be the bike to have as far as parts and aftermarket stuff but I'm having trouble finding one.
I have found a couple of XS750 that are shaft drives.... If I'm thinking of brating the bike and NOT extending the frame is there any reason I would not want to get a shaft drive?
What's the advantages and disadvantages?
A little experienced advice please!

jamesgs4
02-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Besides being ugly? If you want an xs650 just keep looking. why spend money on something if it isn't really what you want? Get a friend with a van or pickup truck and make a bro-ad trip out of it.

Hooligans
02-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Jamesgs4 is right on with the shaft driven bikes usually aren't the most appealing to the eye (not saying all shafty bikes are ugly).....

but....

it can be done. You can still lower the bike. The Suzuki I sent you a pic of with the Sporty tank is a shafty and it has the short Suzuki savage shocks on. On that note... it can be done it's just a matter of ones opinion

erockson
02-07-2011, 12:11 AM
I second that response... mostly because anything over a 2 cylinder means you have a giant engine that bulges out of the frame and have to run a bunch of exhaust pipes that will never look as good as being able to run just 2. Plus of course the shaft drive is ugly and limits you to using the stock wheels.

I'd suggest going the other way if you can't find a 650 and look at 400's 450's 350's... and don't get stuck on an XS just because that has the most readily available bolt ons.

convergecult
02-07-2011, 7:21 PM
By the time you're done bulding it you'll want a chain driven bike for all the reasons above. Find a good xs and you'll be happy.

Codyno3
02-13-2011, 6:37 AM
Thank God, someone else was having the same problem as me. I can either get a xj750 or for a little bit cheaper an XS400. I Think I'm gonna want a chain driven bike for my 1st bike.