PDA

View Full Version : how do you feel about cutting on a perfectly good triumph frame?

Trav101
02-05-2011, 6:58 PM
Here is my quandry. I have aquired a realy nice 1970 triumph t120 frame. Nice uncutupon front loop and nice uncutapon rear swingarm loop. All tabs are present. I have a nice triumph motor to start this little project with. It would seem this is a no brainer, But i am not looking to put together a stock bike. So basicly here is my question. Pony up additional cash for a custom frame and save this frame from the grinder or let the sparks fly? no title by the way just a nice frame. i am initerested in your opinion.

MOTORHEAD9336
02-05-2011, 7:13 PM
I feel that there is no need to cut up an original frame like that. There are plenty of guys out there in the same boat as you but have a chopper frame and want to do more of a restoration type build. Thats the beauty of the internet now. Just trade it out or sell it. I pick them up at swapmeets with hardtails for between 100-300 bucks. Check out the pics on my page they were all swapmeet specials

BullyGuns
02-05-2011, 7:22 PM
Stock, unmolested. I'd sell it or save it. Just me.

C

playtheblues1
02-05-2011, 7:25 PM
Cut it up! Rake and hardtail it to YOUR specs. I had no qualms cutting up my '67 T-120 fame. 2 inch stretch in backbone, 45 degrees of rake with 6 over tubes from "Forking by Frank"

Bill in SC

66triumph
02-05-2011, 8:22 PM
to answer your question, like a whore in Church.

-A.

imtheslime
02-05-2011, 8:50 PM
I have very little knowledge about triumph vins or registration on them... If you don't have a title you'll probably have to jump through just as many hoops with the stock frame as you would with a after market frame, so you might as well get another one exactly like you want, ready to go.
My only motivation to modify a stock frame(besides finances) is to keep the numbers and avoid the "special construction".

LinkBelt
02-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Man it's your frame, Cut it, Chop it, Stretch it, Drop it, whatever it's yours. It has not title cut that fucker up man.

Trav101
02-06-2011, 12:07 AM
i have enjoyed starting this thread, i can see it both ways, cut it.. its mine, save it, respect what it is and pass it on to someone wanting a stock frame. the final word for me was from my wife, She went with sell it, buy a custom frame. She has alot of respect for the vintage stuff. And she knows I would probly fuck it up anyways. Thanks for the response to my question. im gonna start shopping for a frame.

playtheblues1
02-06-2011, 1:05 PM
One thing to consider is the fact that it is a 70s model frame, thus titled and taxed as a 70. If you buy a custom frame with an MSO, it will most likely be titled and taxed as a 2011 "special construction" bike, thus higher taxes. Just a thought.
Bill in SC

66triumph
02-06-2011, 3:34 PM
Man it's your frame, Cut it, Chop it, Stretch it, Drop it, whatever it's yours. It has not title cut that fucker up man.

yeah, it's his, and it's his to do with what he wants, but regardless he's still gunna have title issues, not that thats hard to deal with... and it simply not having a title, isn't a good reason to chop it up. there are to many chopped up hunks of shit laying around to be chopped up. I'm not a "purest" in any way, shape, or form, but those who are will pay dearly for some un-molested stuff. If you sell it, to the right person, stock take off stuff can fund a damn nice chop project.

to the original poster; why not run the numbers, make sure it's not hot, go through a title company, like ITS, get the title, and buy a bolt on rigid rear section? you could do all that and still be in it for less than a custom full frame, and you would have a '70 triumph, not a 2011 special construction. that makes a huge difference in asking price if you ever go to sell it.

-A.

playtheblues1
02-06-2011, 4:30 PM
I didn't catch the "no title" (for frame or engine) part in the original post. My bad.

Bill in SC

Torch
02-06-2011, 6:10 PM
I didn't catch the "no title" (for frame or engine) part in the original post. My bad.

Bill in SC

ok here is an idea, why not get the bike together as a stock framed 1970 get it titled and licensed that way, then you could buy an aftermarket frame.
Now, they sell number and letter stamps everywhere (3/16" is the correct size) you could just stamp the numbers on the neck of the new frame and chances are you will never get a second look. if you do get caught you still have the original frame and the MSO for the new frame so it's not like you intentionally tried to cover up a stolen bike, if it ever gets discovered, you can just tell them the original frame was damaged and this is just a replacement frame.
If it sounds like it might work, that's because someone very, very close to me has done it.
And as a little bonus, years later you could change you mind on the bike and restore it if you want.

Trav101
02-06-2011, 9:11 PM
Thats freakin awesome!

mrkil
02-07-2011, 8:13 PM
yeah i'd say it's your frame do what you want with it.

If it was mine i'd put it away and build a new frame to my specs and stamp it with the numbers from the original frame, so I could use the papers I already have.

cntrhub
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
A few questions:

Q1. Is the frame bent at rear or front or never dropped? Bucks if never dropped for someone, and that is maybe for someone who wants to replica the bike. And at what price?
Q2. Can you see any paint chipped off the neck area where they weld or braze at that area? The paint is the giveaway.
Q3. No matching numbered engine came with the frame?
Q4. Can you get the engine case that matches the frame?

A few answers:

A1. I would not give you a dime for a bent frame = Chop it!
A2. That bike had to be torn down for some reason and when it's assembled and the front wheel is in the kitchen and the frame is still in the living room = Chop it!
A3. I wouldn't give you a plug nickle for the frame. Oh wait. I do need that tab and oh, you still have that other tab that broke off and sure, I can saw it off and weld it back on like perfecto. How much for the bent frame?
A4. You have junk, fella. Way too much to part back together for one. If you can't find the engine to match the frame, the pure-yeasts with the tampon up their ass being anal retentive and want to squeeze back anything that leaks out is wringing it back in the same orifice it came out of = Chop It!

choppadude
02-08-2011, 6:29 AM
Stamping your own numbers is the WORST advice you can give. I do not give a rats ass what state you live in or how many of your friends got away with it, It is a FEDERAL offense to alter,restamp or modify a VIN. If you get caught there will be no chance to explain, your bike will be taken and most likely never seen again.

Torch
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Stamping your own numbers is the WORST advice you can give. I do not give a rats ass what state you live in or how many of your friends got away with it, It is a FEDERAL offense to alter,restamp or modify a VIN. If you get caught there will be no chance to explain, your bike will be taken and most likely never seen again.

You are not alterning the already stamped vin, you are not modifying the vin, and you are not re-stamping the vin,
you can however stamp "Fuck you" or " or "get Boned" or my name or my girlfriends phone number on the engine on the frame or handelbars or gas tank or where ever I want. I could even stamp the Model designation and engine number on the frame or gas tank if I want. hell I could stamp the preamble to the constitution if I have the time. you are not modifying any vin numbers.
all your doing is stamping the engine numbers on the frame, that 17 didget vin number will still be there, unmolested.
and also many dealerships used to stamp the old numbers of a blown up engine on to a new set of un-numbered cases, this was done all the time and nobody was defrauded, the old thing of only the factory can stamp numbers is false, there are thousands of sets of actual Harley and Triumph number sets still out there that were issued to dealerships and every police agency knows this.

Trav101
02-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Im realy enjoying the responses!! SO , Heres what I did. I ordered a factory metal works frame. I took my uncut, unbent pretty frame and hung it on the garage wall. Maybe its trash, maybe its treasure. Im ok with a custom assembled title when Im done.. that might take a while, im not in any hurry. I know my stock frame is not a museum piece and not worth much, but I like to think it deserves a second chance and just bieng what it is. Thank you all for the responses.. keep sending your opinions if you want, I enjoy the insight and the humor.

Trav101
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
pics of the frame in question

juicybruce
02-08-2011, 3:52 PM
nuttin wrong with that frame, looks just fine. have a glance at the tr6 photos on my profile. The frame is completely unmolested and can be returned to stock at any point in the future (fwd controls can be hacked off in minutes) without losing any chopperyness. stock tank helps more than you think. save your money for dynamic balance on crank or new carbs or hot cams you wont regret it.

CochiseCountyChoppers
02-08-2011, 4:00 PM
Lookin at the pic its not a 1970 frame front motor mount is 1963-1969 1970 has a diff front motor mount and was a one year only frame so if it was a 1970 frame hell no.... But its not a 1970 frame iso chop that f%^$ker

juicybruce
02-08-2011, 4:44 PM
Lookin at the pic its not a 1970 frame front motor mount is 1963-1969 1970 has a diff front motor mount and was a one year only frame so if it was a 1970 frame hell no.... But its not a 1970 frame iso chop that f%^$ker

good call. i think its likely dude hasent checked his numbers to get the accurate year model (no title) Back in the 80s i was taught to cut off the tab style motor mounts and weld in a couple bungs to convert to '70 style mounts to get the clearance for romove/install motor routine and hardier mounting. It seemed to be a common upgrade but i dont know the history of it.

juicybruce
02-08-2011, 5:05 PM
oh yeah, i wanted to add, besides removing easily replaced tabs n tank mounts what else can one sensibly "chop" from triumph frame? (i've seen my share of ruined frames) the big loop (sidecar mount?) takes enuff effort to remove to thwart all but the very determined (i've done it only twice). i dont see any reason to cut the stock loop otherwise. i usually adjust rake and how low it sets at the hardtail anyway. All the tabs and such are pretty easy to reproduce and replace. I know there are some hardcore cats with the proper skills can chop shit out of it but not many. certainly not for beginners.

MOTORHEAD9336
02-08-2011, 5:26 PM
To make a clean chopper frame out of a stock loop one of the first things to go is the cast rear motor mount, which looks out of place anyway and can easily be replaced with a piece of heavy 1/2" tubing with gussets.

MOTORHEAD9336
02-08-2011, 5:41 PM
Ok triumph guys i need some feedback. I was told by an old bike builder one time that you can take a stock loop, cut the coil mount and lower backbone tube out, cut the downtube a little above the front motor mount and cut the backbone around the rear tank mount hole. Then you are supposed the be able to take that piece, flip it over, slug it, and weld it back into place to drastically change the rake of the neck. If anyone out there has a stock loop a piece of chalk and a concrete floor trace it out and let me know how close it would be. Sounds like something different to try. Thats the point of these bikes isnt it? To be different so lets hear what you guys think. And if you think its stupid take it easy on me this is just what i was told lol

juicybruce
02-08-2011, 5:53 PM
To make a clean chopper frame out of a stock loop one of the first things to go is the cast rear motor mount, which looks out of place anyway and can easily be replaced with a piece of heavy 1/2" tubing with gussets.

i kinda like the cast pieces with the brazing. I've carved off the loops for the swingarm though. I'm thinking about making a shorter center stand and using existing centerstand mounts. What i do wanna know is how can i weld on my hardtail at the top where it normally bolts on. i cant weld to the cast piece right? or can i? thats the area that i want to clean up the most, get rid of the bulky bolt on configuration, any advice?

Trav101
02-08-2011, 5:55 PM
you are correct!, the letters on the frame start with GCxxxx .. my bad , Im going outside to stick my head in the sand.. may I speak up and say... 1969?

66triumph
02-08-2011, 6:03 PM
i kinda like the cast pieces with the brazing. I've carved off the loops for the swingarm though. I'm thinking about making a shorter center stand and using existing centerstand mounts. What i do wanna know is how can i weld on my hardtail at the top where it normally bolts on. i cant weld to the cast piece right? or can i? thats the area that i want to clean up the most, get rid of the bulky bolt on configuration, any advice?

it's cast steel, you can weld it... but why? just for looks?

-A.

MOTORHEAD9336
02-08-2011, 6:06 PM
Well my opinion on that would be dont even bother trying to weld mild steel to cast. You may get a bead but i wouldnt trust it strength wise. I usually cut the tabs down as much as possible and run a treaded piece with pike nuts on both sides to dress it up. And as for the bottom mounts i bolt them as well as weld the underside

juicybruce
02-08-2011, 6:10 PM
it's cast steel, you can weld it... but why? just for looks?

-A.

i'm running a wassel with a solo so there is over a foot of bare frame unobstructed and completely exposed rather prominently. want to make smooth clean. must be a way. i'll try to download a pic. after dinner.

cntrhub
02-08-2011, 11:32 PM
69's are hot. Always was when I saw them way back when. Always will be. There is just something about that year. 68 seemed a joke. 70' they blew it. That frame and case would be worth the price to restore. I don't know what the public choice is, but I'd fill her back up.

mrkil
02-10-2011, 9:21 PM

I didn't advise him to do it.

I told him what I would do. Since I live in Canada, this would not be an issue. We don't have inspection officers we have our inspections done at licensed bike shops.

and you know what if I was him and living where he is I'd still do it. There are alot of federal offences and i'm pretty sure this one, isn't very high on there list of things to keep a look out for.

but like i said this is just what I would do. Your mileage may very.

Torch
02-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I didn't advise him to do it.

I told him what I would do. Since I live in Canada, this would not be an issue. We don't have inspection officers we have our inspections done at licensed bike shops.

and you know what if I was him and living where he is I'd still do it. There are alot of federal offences and i'm pretty sure this one, isn't very high on there list of things to keep a look out for.

but like i said this is just what I would do. Your mileage may very.

It's a federal offense to write racial slurs on dollar bills, it's a federal offense to melt down nickles, it's a federal offense to put a dog shit in your asshole neighbors mailbox, it's federal offense to lie on your 1040 form, .... shit,.. I would hope if the feds had enough cops to enforce anything they could enforce the immigration laws.

TRUMPNUT
02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
It's a federal offense to write racial slurs on dollar bills, it's a federal offense to melt down nickles, it's a federal offense to put a dog shit in your asshole neighbors mailbox, it's federal offense to lie on your 1040 form, .... shit,.. I would hope if the feds had enough cops to enforce anything they could enforce the immigration laws.

HA HA AH thats funny , Don't forget the tags on your matress .

Blacktopbandit
02-11-2011, 8:58 PM

+1