PDA

View Full Version : Cog or skatewheel chain tensioner?

section8joe
02-05-2011, 6:21 PM
I have an xs with a 4 inch stretch. Do I need a tensioner?

If I have to run one I'm gonna run a monster craftsman tensioner and I'm wondering which on I should use. I really like the skate wheel and I understand that it will eventually wear down and need replaced. I'm cool with that. I'm just worried that the chain will slip off the wheel and cause some problems. The cog is made to fit a 530 chain and I know the chain won't slip off the cog. What do you guys think? Anybody run any of these?

Hooligans
02-05-2011, 9:04 PM
I have the Monster with the cog but I have yet to use it since I am still in the build process. There are plenty of people who don't believe in them but for a 4" stretch I would recommend once to keep the chain slap down.

As for which is better... yes the wheel will wear with time. You won't have to worry about the chain falling off due to the width of the wheel. With the cog you just have to make damn sure the tensioner is in perfect alignment with the chain. I myself bought the cog, but am going to swap out to a wheel

cros36
02-07-2011, 8:12 PM
i have 4 inch stretch, im using a roller derby skate wheel, my wife has piles of them laying around. yeah they will wear down but doesnt everything?

Shadyj7
02-07-2011, 8:19 PM
mine is also stretched and i'm using the Powell Peralta Bolt on by monster craftman and it works great! And i beat the hell out of the bike and its never slipped off.

LinkBelt
02-07-2011, 8:23 PM
I got six in the stretch and am planning on running a cog style. Only because I didn't want the chain tensioner to be a focal point on the bike.

Aetsh
02-12-2011, 9:54 AM
Skate wheel!

wllgmr
02-14-2011, 7:31 AM
Do you skate?

freeq4
02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
i prefer the cog as i used to be a bmx guy. if you skate it might be something to consider.