PDA

View Full Version : How to route oil lines with an external oil filter???

BIGWORM
02-05-2011, 1:31 PM
Ok guys got a question i know how to run the oil lines on a triumph but the bike im building now (71 650) i decided to run an automotive style oil filter. It is behind the oil tank mounted to the lower frame rail my question is what is the correct way to run the lines??? Return line off motor to filter to oil bag?? Any help is appreciated. Bigworm

Torch
02-05-2011, 2:57 PM
Ok guys got a question i know how to run the oil lines on a triumph but the bike im building now (71 650) i decided to run an automotive style oil filter. It is behind the oil tank mounted to the lower frame rail my question is what is the correct way to run the lines??? Return line off motor to filter to oil bag?? Any help is appreciated. Bigworm

the return line is the only oil line that is pressured, the feed line is a gravity feed line. most automotive oil filters are too restrictive to use on the return line with out upsetting the factory engineered oil return pressure, it ends up causing too much oil going to the rocker feed or it ends up sumping the engine with oil.

In my opinion if a Triumph needed an oil filter it would have come with one.
You are better off just doing regular oil changes and then you don't have some ugly ass filter and a bunch of leakie oil lines running all over the bike,
There are several guys on here that think a big ass orange Fram filter hanging on the side of the bike looks totaly custom, I ain't one of them.
Norton's have a special low restriction filter engineered into thier system and when they get filled up it really fucks with the bike,
Just change the oil every 1500 miles like the book says and forget the filter.

CMA406
02-05-2011, 8:00 PM
the return line is the only oil line that is pressured, the feed line is a gravity feed line. most automotive oil filters are too restrictive to use on the return line with out upsetting the factory engineered oil return pressure, it ends up causing too much oil going to the rocker feed or it ends up sumping the engine with oil.

In my opinion if a Triumph needed an oil filter it would have come with one.
You are better off just doing regular oil changes and then you don't have some ugly ass filter and a bunch of leakie oil lines running all over the bike,
There are several guys on here that think a big ass orange Fram filter hanging on the side of the bike looks totaly custom, I ain't one of them.
Norton's have a special low restriction filter engineered into thier system and when they get filled up it really fucks with the bike,
Just change the oil every 1500 miles like the book says and forget the filter.

yea after reading alot about them posted by guys like you whove been around this shit for a while, im pretty convinced that one isnt worth. I do have a question however, my oil tank doesnt have the stock feed screen that triumph came with, is this gonna be problem?

Torch
02-05-2011, 8:47 PM
yea after reading alot about them posted by guys like you whove been around this shit for a while, im pretty convinced that one isnt worth. I do have a question however, my oil tank doesnt have the stock feed screen that triumph came with, is this gonna be problem?

I can't say that screen is useless, but in reality it will only block large particles. put a magnet on the bottom of you oil tank that will help collect some metal debris.

northlandak
02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Also , non detergent oil was used in the old days , check yer local parts house - they may have or be able to get non-detergent castrol - which i believe is what triumph was running from the factory.

Moparkevin
02-06-2011, 2:34 AM
I can't say that screen is useless, but in reality it will only block large particles. put a magnet on the bottom of you oil tank that will help collect some metal debris.

I agree, if it didn't have it from the factory you don't need that ugly thing now... plan and simple.. [oil changes]..

Arne
02-06-2011, 6:41 AM
Different opinion,
i run a Citroen 2 CV filter in the return line. Rocker box supply ahead of filter.
Oil and filter change every 3000 km. Morgo pump.
Runs great whith no problems.
I think an engine with bush bearings and modern oil with detergents needs a fine filter.

Torch
02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Different opinion,
i run a Citroen 2 CV filter in the return line. Rocker box supply ahead of filter.
Oil and filter change every 3000 km. Morgo pump.
Runs great whith no problems.
I think an engine with bush bearings and modern oil with detergents needs a fine filter.
as I remember it detergent oil came out in the late 60's
And there are also hundreds of thousands of Triumphs, Harley's, BSA's Vincent's and are running great since the 1960's with detergent oil and no filters.
Almost all engines both modern and antique run busing style bearings. and yes most modern motorcycle engines have filters in the system. these modern bikes were intended to be used by people that ride that bike as daily transportation, If you are riding an antique motorcycle as your daily transportation to and from work and expect to put 20k or more miles on it per year then yes you may need to re-engineer the oil system for a filter.
and since you re-engineered your bike for more oil pressure with that Morgo oil pump but did you also re-engineer the main crankshaft oil seal to handle that increased oil pressure?
Otherwise just change you oil once and a while and you will be fine.
by the way Triumphs have a centrifugal oil filter in them, it's called the "sludge trap".

Speedfiend
02-06-2011, 1:30 PM
I added a MAP oil filter and an oil cooler from a Trident to my '71 A65.
The MAP filter is slim and can be hidden well.
It is my daily rider/comuter bike in the warmer months.
But the filter/cooler were really more to add some oil capacity, as the OIF's have slightly less than the older oil tanks.

I did find the cooler helps to prevent the fading power when I'm really pushing it hard. Spirited climbs up big mountians and the like.

Of course, my bike is a cafe not a chopper. And I log alot of miles.
So if this things just for bar hoppin, don't bother.

Torch
02-06-2011, 1:49 PM
I added a MAP oil filter and an oil cooler from a Trident to my '71 A65.
The MAP filter is slim and can be hidden well.
It is my daily rider/comuter bike in the warmer months.
But the filter/cooler were really more to add some oil capacity, as the OIF's have slightly less than the older oil tanks.

I did find the cooler helps to prevent the fading power when I'm really pushing it hard. Spirited climbs up big mountians and the like.

Of course, my bike is a cafe not a chopper. And I log alot of miles.
So if this things just for bar hoppin, don't bother.

I think the MAP filter is actually designed to be a reduced pressure filter like the Norton filter is. and there is nothing wrong with the added oil capacity of all the those oil features. That is also the style on most cafe bikes to add on as many performance style features as you can.
but the more connections you have the greater the chance of leaks, and if one of those hose clamps coming off during "spirited" rides it could be catastrophic. A well oiled rear tire is an adrenaline rush.

Speedfiend
02-06-2011, 3:49 PM
For sure!
I added about 6 more possible places to leak.
Still less than a Triumph. Ha!:)

BIGWORM
02-08-2011, 7:47 PM
The bike is fully assembled with the exception of oil and fuel lines so i already have the tab welded to the frame so its getting a filter.... I live in az so its hot as balls here in the summer i thought running a filter would add a little more oil compacity and i made a filter cover thats painted the same as the rest of my sheetmetal so i dont have the big orange fram that some of you hate!! Was just curious on how to run the lines but i respect your opions.thanks bigworm

CMA406
02-08-2011, 8:20 PM
The bike is fully assembled with the exception of oil and fuel lines so i already have the tab welded to the frame so its getting a filter.... I live in az so its hot as balls here in the summer i thought running a filter would add a little more oil compacity and i made a filter cover thats painted the same as the rest of my sheetmetal so i dont have the big orange fram that some of you hate!! Was just curious on how to run the lines but i respect your opions.thanks bigworm

makes sense, i live in cold ass montana so the heat isnt a problem haha