PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the xs's gone?......

Slurpee
02-05-2011, 2:21 AM
Hey guys,
I'm having a REALLY hard time finding an XS to start on. I'm from BC Canada. I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere in BC off HWY 1 and into Alberta from Lethbridge all the way to Edmonton. But I am not having much luck. The couple that I have seen sold in under a day....
Any advice on where I could track down one of these puppies for cheap?
Any other bikes that people could recommend as really awesome brat builds as far as ease of getting parts?
Thanks

Tito
02-05-2011, 2:33 AM
I have not seen many here in Northern California. I'm on CL a bunch looking for misc junk I don't need, I see more honda CB750's by far. But if I look at the bay area CL, just a little over an hour away, and I see them more often. It's definitely a regional thing.

hutchings
02-05-2011, 5:32 AM
They were all over edmonton kijiji when I was looking for mine... But I haven't seen much lately, I do know a guy with a complete rebuilt engine and a frame (incomplete bike) in edmonton if you're interested in building a chop.

Sickpup
02-05-2011, 9:14 AM
Hey man I will trade you an XS with no title and good for parts for some of that sweet B.C. Bud. :)No worries dude, I live in Ohio and the same around here just wait until summer things will start poppin up again.

Slurpee
02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Hutchings,
Can you get me iontouch with that guy about the frame and engine? I'm looking for a chop so that could work....is it a rolling frame? Let me know how to reach him or you can have him e-mail me at nerdasaurus@hotmail.com or call 250-272-0040. Thanks!

Sickpup.... if I was a smoker and new where yo get you enough dope that would be a tempting offer...... minus the border crossing issues! HA HA!

Bloodhound
02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Try some motorcycle salvage yards. You might have to buy it in pieces.

Salty
02-05-2011, 12:16 PM
im going to look at two nonrunners today, both for $200. northern california is awesome. i could ship them to you if your interested?

rusjack
02-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I bought my first xs for 400 with a title and spare engine in Ontario 2 summers ago, and since then I haven't seen a deal so good since.

Until I got a call last week about one sitting under a tarp under snow for 200$. Upped to 750 in the 80's, 72 model. If the engine spins free when I get to it she's commin' home.

Punkskalar
02-05-2011, 1:44 PM
Wait about 2 years, you'll probably be able to buy an ugly bratted out XS on the cheap, since alot of these guys have no ability to build and repair them... Its trendy right now to have an XS, so just wait out the trend and pickup the leftovers.

PS, I think the basket case XS650's will start popping up as well. What people would never have bothered to build will start to gain some value, just get a good titled frame, the rest of it is out there

sweetpotato650
02-05-2011, 2:40 PM
I'm from B.C. as well and searched for a xs650 for the right price for about a year and a half. I went down just past seattle and picked mine up, never saw a picture or anything(the guy was to old and hadn't figured out how to send pictures yet, I thought that was a good sign the bike would be pretty nice) but the guy said it ran pretty good besides a charging problem so thats how I got it for $700. Bringing it across the boarder is easy since the bike is 15 years or older there is no inspection or import fee. I did see one on vancouver craigslist the other day for $500. Must have got picked up pretty quick because I was just looking for it to find the link for you and no luck. Best bet is going into the states though.

easyspeed
02-05-2011, 5:37 PM
Yah, just keep an eye out for hipsters in tight jeans and bandanas. Follow them on their fixed gear bikes to their garage. There you will find a broke down xs with the forks sticking up throughout the upper trees and the rear shocks replaced by 6" broom sticks for struts to give it that "look". The garage will be littered with pbr cans and empty bottles of high life.

Slurpee
02-05-2011, 5:46 PM
Wait about 2 years, you'll probably be able to buy an ugly bratted out XS on the cheap, since alot of these guys have no ability to build and repair them... Its trendy right now to have an XS, so just wait out the trend and pickup the leftovers.

PS, I think the basket case XS650's will start popping up as well. What people would never have bothered to build will start to gain some value, just get a good titled frame, the rest of it is out there

Punk,
I'm not keen to wait to have a bike for a year and half... what would be your next pic to chop after an XS? After seeing your skills and bikes I value your opinion.
Thanks

groove
02-05-2011, 5:49 PM
Bikes in BC advertised in the winter are few and far. Wait until the first part of March and the BuySell starts to come alive. Just my 2 cents.

Punkskalar
02-05-2011, 6:02 PM
Punk,
I'm not keen to wait to have a bike for a year and half... what would be your next pic to chop after an XS? After seeing your skills and bikes I value your opinion.
Thanks

Dude, I've been eyeballing some sweet looking KZ's (cuz they are always more powerful than any of the similar cc'd bikes of the same year!) if you are into the 4 cylinders. If you dig the smaller cc bikes, the KZ400 and 440's are pretty damn nice too. You can find a larger cc KZ750 twin (only made for 2 years, parts are fairly hard to find) if you do some searching. I am even leaning towards the Honda VLX600 and 750 Shadows. Newer, plenty of power, and the frames look like hell to chop, but I can work around that... Anything chain drive is good.

I just scored a running KZ650 with clean papers and it is in nice shape. $500... They are out there. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, might just do some minor cleaning up and ditch the stuff that don't make it go/stop. I've got a pile of XS650 engines, wheels, frames, etc... to use for a few builds.

Slurpee
02-05-2011, 6:14 PM
K cool,
I've got a line on an 82 KZ750 in rougher shape for 300$ and was thinking of going that route. The deal seems sweet. . I was checking out how hard it would be to get parts and the dealer here in my town seems to be able to get aftermarket stuff for good and cheap. What issues does the KZ have for chopping as far as the frame goes?

So Maybe I'll go down that route now so I can get my first build going and keep my eyes peeled for a sweet XS to start on in the future.

Slurpee
02-05-2011, 7:15 PM
I just found an 79 750 special for sale. As far as I can tell the 750 special is part of the XS family am I right?
It's a shaft drive though.... do I want to be dealing with a shafty? I don't have any plans to extend the frame only lower it.
They seem to go fast around here so any advice on whether I should scoop this thing up or just wait would be appreciated.
The bike is in amazing condition and runs.

rusjack
02-05-2011, 7:43 PM
All the KZ's I see on Kijiji and CL are dirt cheap. People are selling kz650/750/1000 runners for under a grand all the time in Ontario. I don't know about BC, though.

rusjack
02-05-2011, 7:47 PM
http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-1979-Yamaha-XS-Special-W0QQAdIdZ253184139

Go get it!

hutchings
02-05-2011, 8:55 PM
Hutchings,
Can you get me iontouch with that guy about the frame and engine? I'm looking for a chop so that could work....is it a rolling frame? Let me know how to reach him or you can have him e-mail me at nerdasaurus@hotmail.com or call 250-272-0040. Thanks

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-motorcycle-parts-accessories-XS650-FRAME-and-complete-rebuilt-ENGINE-chopper-bobber-cafe-W0QQAdIdZ242142670

jamesgs4
02-05-2011, 9:31 PM
Parting out xs650's used to make my bike upgrade and trip money, now I cant even find a basket case lately.
shit sucks.

SICKLEBOY
02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I got both of mine in Edmonton off KIJIJI in the space of about a month and a half and I paid less then a grand each ( yeah thats expencive in some places I know ) but my point is they were both found easily and I actually turned down a couple others ...keep your eyes on kijiji

Slurpee
02-06-2011, 2:07 AM
Hutchings= thanks a ton!
Rusjack=... keep that crap on the D.L.!!!!! HA HA!! I have been in touch with this guy lately but the bike has no paperwork. Not sure how I would get it registered. Anyone have any ideas on that?