PDA

View Full Version : CB750 vs XS650

daniels
02-03-2011, 8:21 AM
Hello guys. I'm a newbie to the forums. I just sold my FZ1 and am thinking of a CB750 or a XS650 to hardtail for the next project. Is one easier than the other as far as frame work, finding parts, and so on or are they about equal? I was leaning toward the 750 but now sort of thinking of the Yamaha.

Thanks in advance.

browder
02-03-2011, 8:57 AM
Cost wise about the same--i've done both--Honda sucks cause finding a decent set of pipes on a budget ain't always easy other than that they're the same you're gonna find more vintage after market stuff fer the Honda than the XS but i been stering away from alotta that old shit cause that's what alotta of it is shit--good luck with it

daniels
02-03-2011, 9:06 AM
Cost wise about the same--i've done both--Honda sucks cause finding a decent set of pipes on a budget ain't always easy other than that they're the same you're gonna find more vintage after market stuff fer the Honda than the XS but i been stering away from alotta that old shit cause that's what alotta of it is shit--good luck with it

Thanks man! I'm thinking the XS too just because it's 2 less carbs and stuff I have to worry about. I'm trying to do this on the cheap and make the bike as simple as possible.

Thanks again!

easyspeed
02-03-2011, 9:27 AM
I have a 70 CB750 hardtailed and a 72 xs650 in the procees of being hardtailed. I'de say for the least expensive maybe go with a xs. It all depends on what's out there though. If you find either one in good running condition than really your just looking at $80 worth of tubing. unless you're going to buy a prefabbed hardtail.

Check out mikes xs for xs650 parts and cyclex for cb750 parts

Either one will be just as much fun to build :cheersmate:

daniels
02-03-2011, 9:30 AM
Thanks man. I also just came across this http://visualimpact2.com/Merchandice.html and this might be a good option for me. I've always wanted a hardtail but this will probbaly be much better on my back and ass and it doesn't look too bad. Plus I could do this myself and feel comfortable welding it. A hardtail I was going to have a local guy do for me.

easyspeed
02-03-2011, 5:17 PM
oh ya! brat kits are cool and much easier.. btw the xs is an easier chop than the cb. cb has alot of extra tubing that needs removed to make it look right

daniels
02-03-2011, 6:34 PM
oh ya! brat kits are cool and much easier.. btw the xs is an easier chop than the cb. cb has alot of extra tubing that needs removed to make it look right

Yeah, I really like the look of a hardtail and always wanted to do one but I've never road one and am thinking it might really rear up my ass and back. The brat style is sort of a cool look too and would be easier and cheaper to do.

Newporabbit
02-03-2011, 7:30 PM
XS is oil in motor so you don't have to mount an oil tank and run lines, leaves a lot more room for mounting electronics.

CB has 3 tubes for the backbone and a funky pressed plate near the seat are. Kinda makes it hard to get a hardtail to look good unless you do a lot of hacking on the frame.

daniels
02-03-2011, 7:39 PM
XS is oil in motor so you don't have to mount an oil tank and run lines, leaves a lot more room for mounting electronics.

CB has 3 tubes for the backbone and a funky pressed plate near the seat are. Kinda makes it hard to get a hardtail to look good unless you do a lot of hacking on the frame.

I did not realize that, that is good to know! Thanks man! I think the XS650 is going to be a much simpler and easier bike for me as a project bike.

KsDtoday
02-03-2011, 9:51 PM
Me personally I dont like the look of a inline 4 bobber/chopper. I think the inline 4 needs to stick to cafe and sportbikes.

BRASSBOOTS
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
you will have more money doing the XS650 and its a lighter motor to lug around, just depends on your style really. ive done both and both were fun to build, but youll most deffinatly find more XS parts quicker than anything

XS for a bobber/chopper
CB for a cafe

just my 2cents
cheers

daniels
02-04-2011, 6:35 AM
Thanks guys. I'm actually thinking for sure a brat or cafe style. I just can't imagine that a hardtail would be good for my back, which isn't the best anyway. So I might even look at some KZ's now too.

swellguy
02-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I think the market for sohc 750s is pretty heated up. Less expensive would be early 80s dohc models.
That said, I think the xs650 prices are getting higher.
There are plenty of places that offer options for both motors.
Me, I'm an sohc750 fan. They're bulletproof.

EricWoodward
02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys. I'm actually thinking for sure a brat or cafe style. I just can't imagine that a hardtail would be good for my back, which isn't the best anyway. So I might even look at some KZ's now too.

KZs can work!

This one's my favorite, guy's screenname is Black Motor Covenant on either here or dotheton, can't recall which.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/LordBodycount/DSC00475-1.jpg

cdnfire
02-05-2011, 2:05 PM
I'm building an XS with the visual impact kit and it works great. The guys have been really helpful with answering any questions I've had with it. If you're thinkin of "bratting" it, go with these guys!

easyspeed
02-05-2011, 2:45 PM
The xs and cb are many....very many. So everything you see in the google image search shouldn't be what makes up your mind. Depends on the builder and the creative idea behind the build. Actually the SOHC 750 has had a very large following in the chopper world since the 70's! I love both xs and cb, but I feel the XS is popular because it really looks like a knock off Triumph. Although there's nothing wrong with it, they make great bobbers and choppers too, can't wait til mines done!...

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/10000/9611/50519.jpg

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/10000/9611/50520.jpg

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/10000/9611/50517.jpg

scout4924
02-05-2011, 6:06 PM
The Xs is a good power plant, but certainly has "issues" I'd stay 79 or newer and as low miles as you can find. That will run you about a grand unless your luck is really good. Some of the "Brat" style frames ride like a rigid. Japan requires shocks and a swingarm, thats where the style comes from. Not because the ride nice. It's a "sprung-rigid" With some thought you can have softer shocks and a long degree of suspention travel. Look at The "Shocker" bike. I think DeepSouth makes it. Thats a good shock location. I'd extend the swingarm 5-6 inches and locate the shock further behind the seat than in the kit you are looking at.

daniels
02-08-2011, 9:38 AM
I've decided to expand to Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. I think I'll end up doing a cafe project now but the hard part will be finding a bike locally and finding one that the owner does not think is made of diamonds.

WarGhost
02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
KZs can work!

This one's my favorite, guy's screenname is Black Motor Covenant on either here or dotheton, can't recall which.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/LordBodycount/DSC00475-1.jpg

Good lookin' out! I wrote up a little "My Bike" topic for my old man on that KZ here at ChopCult, too. Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4342

With that said, big thanks to Joel (solocustomcycles.com) for the radical fabrication on that bike. I'd love to do another one in the future.