PDA

View Full Version : Can I Mod My Frame With A Small Mig?

Slurpee
01-31-2011, 2:18 AM
Hey there,
I'm am starting my first chop. I have a small 115v Miller Mig welder with gas that I am quite proficient with. I am wanting to do a few frame mods in order to lower the seat height, ride height and move the shock position. Can I do the work with my little welder and have a bike that's safe to ride after? Will I get enough penetration to make solid welds? Are there any tricks I can use to make sure everything is strong?
Has anybody done the same thing and had success?
Please fire any advice/pics/experience/wisdom my way.
Thanks

edwards2436
01-31-2011, 2:30 AM
Hey there,
I'm am starting my first chop. I have a small 115v Miller Mig welder with gas that I am quite proficient with. I am wanting to do a few frame mods in order to lower the seat height, ride height and move the shock position. Can I do the work with my little welder and have a bike that's safe to ride after? Will I get enough penetration to make solid welds? Are there any tricks I can use to make sure everything is strong?
Has anybody done the same thing and had success?
Please fire any advice/pics/experience/wisdom my way.
Thanks

Well bro, I used a small flux core welder like your Miller to chop my 79' Yamaha into a rigid, and used solid stock and it worked just fine. From the center of the frame back was chopped and solid shit welded on and that fucker road like a board but never got any stress cracks or broken welds. So you should be fine man.

Hooligans
01-31-2011, 2:41 AM
You may get mixed responses on this one. Can you do this with the welder you have? ... Yes. Its all in the guy running the machine. If you know what you are doing and have the experience behind that welder then go for it. With your frame rails just run some slugs with plug welds. Just my .02

Slurpee
01-31-2011, 2:41 AM
Thanks Edwards.
That's what I was hoping to hear!
Did you do anything special to prep or use any "secret" techniques?.... or did you just giver?

Hooligans
01-31-2011, 2:44 AM
Slugs and plug welds are all you need

Slurpee
01-31-2011, 2:49 AM
Hooligans,
I've done a lot of sheet metal and tubular welding but I am unfamiliar with the term slugs and plugs. Can you expand on that for me? I'm guessing it's a chunk of steel inserted in the two pieces of tubing that are going to be welded to add strength.

Hooligans
01-31-2011, 2:51 AM
This is a kit for an XS650... scroll down it has very good pics

http://visualimpact2.com/Merchandice.html

Slurpee
01-31-2011, 3:11 AM
Cool that looks easy enough. Do you know if the plugs are full steel or are they just a smaller diameter tubing?

ape
01-31-2011, 5:46 AM
slugs are solid steel that you slip in and weld in the tube if your frame as far as weling it grind your welding surface to get clean metal and turn out the heat! you should be fine I have a 110 gas welder and a 220 I only use the 220 for big slugs or realy heavy metal welding Im hoping to get a tig soon I miss having one and many jobs iv had that was what i sat. behind for 8-10 hours a day! a 110 mig can be great for thinner metal welding just dont expect it to weld 1" plate LOL but I think you will be fine!

richfrazier
01-31-2011, 7:30 AM
i use a lincoln weldpack 140hd on the bottle.works great on everything.
as far as tricks i usually preheat my welds.just warm the metal up with a torch a little.
it seems to help

BillyT
01-31-2011, 7:48 AM
Just to add, there isn't much that a 110v welder CAN'T do on a bike. .120 is probably the thickest steel you will find.

I used 7/8 .120 tubing for slugs... Can't remember what builder I got the idea from, but he is one of the well known metric builders.

Also, unless you access to a lathe, order one of the kits that comes with the slugs. I had to take about 5 thou off the 7/8 tube to fit in the 1" .065 tube, assuming the same would be true for solid bar.

Slurpee
01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
AWESOME!
Thanks Everyone for the answers. I love this cult!!!!!! How bad ass to be able to get like 10 replies in less than 12 hours!!!!!
I should be picking up a KZ 750 on Wednesday and I am having trouble sleeping. I'm so pupmed to get started. T
Thanks again everyone for loving building enough to want to help out other people!

fuzzy
01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
im in the same boat, only acces to a mig and doing my first chop. i turned the heat down and made short welds. so far seems ok but shes not on the road yet. good luck with your project man , keep us posted!

rustrocket84
01-31-2011, 1:03 PM
I have done my whole frame with a Hobart 140 with shielding gas. It's all 1" .120 wall tube on the rigid rear section I did. If you need tabs spacers and such check these guys out. http://protofab.com/ There are a lot of race shops, welding shops, and such around where I live that carry there stuff and it's all been spot on. I personally wouldn't use anything but .120 wall tube on my frame, but maybe some other people with more experience doing this will chime in. The KZ is probably 1-1/8" tubing. If you got the 1-1/8" and you wanted to do slugs you should be able to use 7/8" tube without having to do any machine work.

daniels
02-03-2011, 9:26 AM
This is a kit for an XS650... scroll down it has very good pics

http://visualimpact2.com/Merchandice.html

Thanks for that link. That looks like a good option to a hardtail. Looks decent but keeps the shocks. I'd feel more comfortable welding that myself too. LOL I have a Hobart 125EZ flux only. I've done some really nice welds with the flux though but never a hardtail.

midnight340
02-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I have built a number of frames from scratch with my old Daytona 110 wire feed. Most of the time when extending tubing, or doing a joint, I will just use another piece of tubing of same or thicker wall, that slip-fits inside the frame tubing... I usually leave a slight gap (1/8" max) between the pieces so that you get penetration into the inner tubing as well as joining the two pieces. Clean your stock well before welding (of course) and If you have any doubt as to the weld quality, grind it out and redo it. I have extending swing arms this way also. Never had a problem. But then, like the man said, it depends on the guy running the machine! :)