PDA

View Full Version : oil bag question

flatblack34
01-30-2011, 6:22 PM
when i was mounting my oil tank i didnt think to make room for rubber grommets..the bike is almost done now and an old timer was looking it over and told me that it was a very bad idea to have a rigid mounted oil tank..i never thought about it at the time but i was just wondering if anyone here runs em rigid or what..any feedback is good..

Shoots
01-30-2011, 6:54 PM
I'm going to run mine the same way I just have to weld a tab on the bottom of the tank for more support.

Prob has more vibes mounted solid could crack maybe. My mounts are thick. U might be able to use fender washers from your local hardware store.

eliwolf6
01-30-2011, 6:59 PM
just triangulate your mounting points, make em solid, good welds etc....

youll be ok

CRFyou
01-30-2011, 7:00 PM
you should really try and find a way to rubber mount or dampen the vibration.

there has to be a way to get some rubber grommets on there. pics?

i had a rigid triumph with a stock rigid oil tank. there are 3 mounting points. i had rubber on all 3 and it still shook like a french soldier.

solid mounting that is not a great idea. brackets will break. or the tank will crack.

CMA406
01-30-2011, 7:18 PM
i was under the impression that if your tanks aluminum rubber mount, if steel, three good mounting points and solid is fine....but i have no actual experience with it, but i have seen alot of ones crack around here from dudes solid mounting it, but one bolt it pulling on the others bad, thus stressing the shit out of all the mounts, and it failing...

Torch
01-30-2011, 9:42 PM
if you do a really good job of making the mounts then all that will happen is the tank will crack,
Triumph tried to solid mount oil tanks on pre units and it's really rare to find one that hasn't been repaired. then on the units they learned and started rubber mounting them, same thing with a solid mounted gas tank,sooner or later it is going to crack. when, depends on how much you ride it.

flatblack34
01-31-2011, 5:11 PM
thanks for all the replies..ya i got three solid triangulated points..i cant download pictures onto here ..too lazy to figure it out..it sits tight in there without it even bolted on..i could maybe squeeze some thin rubber in there some how..it's mainly just a short tripper so fukkit i'll learn the hard way on this one i guess..

CRFyou
01-31-2011, 8:06 PM
thanks for all the replies..ya i got three solid triangulated points..i cant download pictures onto here ..too lazy to figure it out..it sits tight in there without it even bolted on..i could maybe squeeze some thin rubber in there some how..it's mainly just a short tripper so fukkit i'll learn the hard way on this one i guess..

dude. you're gonna wicked regret it when the tank leaks oil all over your bike, rear tire, and sprays your back with oil.

i've been there. it's major ghey.

CMA406
01-31-2011, 8:15 PM
just go to ace or wherever and get some little rubber washers, three of those on every mounting point should be better than none id think.

LinkBelt
01-31-2011, 8:32 PM
OK, I got an clamp on style oil tank like in the pic. I welded the single piece to my center down tube and plan on putting a rubber strip between the tank and center down tube. My question is this being a single mount oil tank will there be a problem?

flatblack34
02-01-2011, 5:24 PM
ya i'm just gonna get those little rubber washers..

image1
02-02-2011, 9:48 AM
My question is this being a single mount oil tank will there be a problem?

yes, i wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 3.

CMA406
02-02-2011, 1:11 PM
yes, i wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 3.

yea, it seems like there would be a ton of stress on that one point, rubber mounted or not...even if the weld held, can the steel take that? (IE cracked tank?)

3trumpets
02-03-2011, 8:38 PM
If you can't get the oil bag back off and the proper rubbers on there, think about Blue Locktite gel on the bolts to help keep them from backing out. These old trumpets defined vibration. You'll have to keep watch on your oil line hose clamps too for the same reason. Good luck

dracko
02-03-2011, 9:05 PM
can you drill the holes in your mounting tabs out and stick grommets in? rubber washers are good but the grommets are better. no direct tank tab/bolt contact.

flatblack34
02-07-2011, 7:58 PM
ya thats what i'm doing..my buddy has a bag of em rite on the work bench at our place..

juicybruce
02-08-2011, 4:12 PM
if steel tank, even two tabs ok, my third (at rear usually) keeps tank still mostly. Most important, i find, is to cut off any existing tabs from frame. weld new ones on specifically for tank to be used. this must be a near perfect fit without having to bend or distort tabs when installing tank and tightening bolts. Most guys skip this step thus badly fitting tabs are stressed when the bolts are tightened and add the weight of the full oil tank plus vibration and such guarantees either the tabs breaking off or cracks at mounting points on tank.

flatblack34
02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
do you run rubber??

juicybruce
02-24-2011, 7:36 PM
do you run rubber??

who, me? no, i dont run rubber on oil tank mounts. i think some folks just dont wanna go through the effort of cutting off existing mounting tabs and welding on a new set fitted to specific tank to be used and rubber might take up a little slack but will not resolve ill-fitting mounts. However, currently making real spun alum tank fabbed from real fire extinguishers (getting old and hard to find) so maybe with aluminum tank and tabs to steel frame tabs may warrent rubber, donno, never had alum. tank b4. we will see.