PDA

View Full Version : Morris Magneto for an XS

section8joe
01-30-2011, 5:36 PM
Thought I'd share..
http://www.shop.morrismagneto.com/product.sc?productId=54&categoryId=2

mvwmvw
01-30-2011, 5:52 PM
just saw that. pretty sick, but it's more than i paid for the bike in the first place...

not that i'm not considering it, but i'm trying to go as simple and reliable as possible. considering this or hugh's banshee swap. dunno which way I'll go now.

heath1178
01-30-2011, 7:38 PM
Thought I'd share..
http://www.shop.morrismagneto.com/product.sc?productId=54&categoryId=2

Thats pretty rad but like mentioned. its pretty pricey and my pop always said..."never buy the first of anything" Ill just sit back and see what happens.

sweetpotato650
01-30-2011, 8:33 PM
Wonder what years of the xs650 it works on. If it works with electronic ignition that would be rad considering the banshee swap doesn't with electronic ignition. But man $750 shit, I bought my bike for $700. I would like to know how it works out. Either way I could convert to points ignition and still make it under $750 buying everything for the banshee swap.

convergecult
01-31-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm piecing together the Banshee swap right now and including a Pamco ignition I should be into it for $425-$450 complete tops. Can't wait to see your bike finished.....

SICKLEBOY
01-31-2011, 12:12 AM
what are the odds on these dropping in price?
and
This company has been around for a while no?....they may have it figured out lol
I'd like to get one but yeah , priced at almost the total value of a conplete used and running XS....

Hooligans
01-31-2011, 2:53 AM
Interesting.... I would like to see a 650 running this

Punkskalar
01-31-2011, 7:44 AM
Wonder what years of the xs650 it works on. If it works with electronic ignition that would be rad considering the banshee swap doesn't with electronic ignition. But man $750 shit, I bought my bike for $700. I would like to know how it works out. Either way I could convert to points ignition and still make it under $750 buying everything for the banshee swap.

I replaces your ignition. Still looks to be a points based breaker if you look inside the cover. It probably provides a very small amount of charge, but I am unsure if you can replace your charging system completely with it. We use the term "Magneto" loosely when talking about our charging system swap. Harleys use it for ignition and charging... I sent them an email with these questions.

Looking for details on your YXS system. Does it also replace the charging system on the XS65O? Or do I keep my charging system and just use this as an ignition replacement. I see it is cam driven, do I keep my points rod and advance unit, or is it all combined in this magneto?

Thanks
Hugh

32fenderless
01-31-2011, 1:09 PM
Go here to see detailed pics of the conversion.

http://keinocycles.blogspot.com/

You still need a reg/rectifier and use a capacitor.

image1
01-31-2011, 2:06 PM
just to clarify a few things for you guys...

"never buy the first of anything

morris has been around a LONG time. The only difference between this mag, and their others, is the drive unit (ie, how it is connected to the engine)

It probably provides a very small amount of charge

NO, it does not. It produces enough 'charge' to energize itself

Harleys use it for ignition and charging.

Wrong! they use it for ignition ONLY, and generally use a generator for charging.

do I keep my points rod and advance unit, or is it all combined in this magneto?

i would assume that those parts are replaced by the new drive unit.

unsure if you can replace your charging system completely with it

absolutely not, a mag does NOTHING for your charging system.

If it works with electronic ignition

it would REPLACE it completely.

basically the advantage of the magneto setup, is that the bike will run WITHOUT ANY kind of charging system. It is a completely indepenent way of making spark. It depends on NO OTHER components. If you battery/stator/etc fails, you still get home. It will NOT remedy any charging system issues on its own though.

CockBlock
01-31-2011, 2:26 PM
That's pretty sick man. I have a XS650 motor in my kitchen now and this would definitely be something worth adding on. I've never used a Magneto before and i've never been around someone who has one. So could anyone explain how the charging and everything else for the bike would work? Or maybe a wiring diagram? Also does the magneto need a kill switch installed?

Punkskalar
01-31-2011, 3:06 PM
That's pretty sick man. I have a XS650 motor in my kitchen now and this would definitely be something worth adding on. I've never used a Magneto before and i've never been around someone who has one. So could anyone explain how the charging and everything else for the bike would work? Or maybe a wiring diagram? Also does the magneto need a kill switch installed?

From my understanding, the Magneto will only power itself. You will not be able to run headlights or other accessories. It looks pretty cool, I've always liked them on HD's. So you will still need some form of charging system. My vote is Pamcopete if you want good reliable ignition that no one will notice, and this if you want to spend a ton of coin and have it shown off :rolleyes:

From what I can see, Pamcopetes option is only set back by the fact that it needs an outside source of power to make it work. But either way you would still need a charging system to legally ride on any US roads, since tail lights, brake lights and headlights are all required by most states.

dangermouse
01-31-2011, 3:22 PM
Great post. This is a game changer as far as I am concerned. As for the cost, the fact that my XS cost me so little, means I don't feel bad spending $$ on something as awesome as a Morris Magneto. I assume I could ditch my battery completely.

image1
01-31-2011, 3:35 PM
I assume I could ditch my battery completely.

yes

So could anyone explain how the charging and everything else for the bike would work?

wiring is simple, stator to rect/reg> and from rect/reg to lights/accessories. You can put a capacitor in there if headlight flicker at low RPM bothers you...

and this if you want to spend a ton of coin and have it shown off

or if you want a bike that can get home regardless of a battery/regulator/rectifier/wiring/stator shitting the bed....

CockBlock
01-31-2011, 3:51 PM
Interesting. My XS was given to me so my intitial start up bill for this build is nothing. So to incorperate something so bad ass is almost a must. Thanks for the info!

heath1178
01-31-2011, 9:20 PM
morris has been around a LONG time. The only difference between this mag, and their others, is the drive unit (ie, how it is connected to the engine)

Never heard of em bfore. so to me its a first. What is their history? and why did they just now start to produce something like this for a bike thats never had it?

ok I went to theit website. so high end performance and reliability are said to be better. I guess if you lose your lights you can drive home in the dark

image1
02-01-2011, 8:20 AM
Never heard of em bfore. so to me its a first. What is their history? and why did they just now start to produce something like this for a bike thats never had it?

their history is making mags for motorcycles.... Their design is a direct copy of a Fairbanks Morse design, which has been in production since the 40's. It is VERY reliable. The reason that they just started producing a mag for the XS is due to the platform's recent explosion in popularity among builders. VERY few motorcycles have ever come from the factory equipped with a magneto ignition system, namely Harley WR, XLCH, and a couple others. These were generally factory 'hot rod' type bikes. The mag used in the XS application is the EXACT same one they use for Big Twins and Triumphs (and historically for industrial and agricultural applications), the only thing that makes it XS specific is the drive coupling unit.

This looks like a really cool unit, glad to see them making it. I'm a big fan of mags, if i had an XS i would be all over it.

I guess if you lose your lights you can drive home in the dark

yep, better than not making it home at all with any other type of ignition....

gravelveins
02-01-2011, 9:59 AM
this is rad.

i don't think i'd have a problem paying $750 for this mag when the joe hunt & new sidecover for my BSA cost in the $1200 range.

KsDtoday
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM

I hear that! $750 is way over the top for a cheap bike to build.

image1
02-02-2011, 9:35 AM
I hear that! $750 is way over the top for a cheap bike to build.

mags aren't for the rattle bomb black and red wheels crowd, that's for sure.

rusjack
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
mags aren't for the rattle bomb black and red wheels crowd, that's for sure.

Hahaha!

I really like the idea of mags on a bike. The ability to kick start a bike when all else fails seems like a good enough reason to spend the dough on one of these. That, and just running a small cap for the head/tail lights would be perfect

I'm getting the itch

plus, anything that is good enough to run on airplanes makes me feel more comfortable with bikes

pacifistbikes
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
This is soo rad! I was only thinking the other day, why does nobody made a mag for the xs. I guess they are getting more and more popular to being customised that there is now a market for them. Any chance to get rid of a battery is good with me! Better start saving my pennies...

Punkskalar
02-03-2011, 6:43 AM
Got my reply.

Hugh,

You keep your charging system. The magneto does only the ignition, independent of the rest of your electrics. With a magneto, the faster it turns, the hotter the spark.

On the advance side, you keep only the plate. a coupler piece fits over the pins, and a slotted hub fits over the top of it, on the stock rod, to set your timing. Bottom of the magneto is relieved for spark plug removal, and the mount sits concentric in the bore where the points plate was. Choice of black or clear cap option.

Any other questions, please let me know,

Dave Shaw
MM Inc.
973-540-9171

corneilius
02-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I like the idea of having minimal wiring on the bike. A mag, reg/rec, couple fuses and like 5 wires! what will i do with my starter? Ha!! Call me a minimalist but when i don't even need a charging system to give me electrical headaches and buying a battery every couple of years. Im somewhat traditional, I mean mags have been used on bikes for years and they still are, i don't see many harley guys swapping out their charging system for some atv system when they make mags that work perfectly fine.

Adios

Bloodhound
02-06-2011, 3:26 PM
There are much better ways to spend your money than this. I sure it is great but it is worth more than the engine.

ragnarok
02-06-2011, 5:57 PM
There are much better ways to spend your money than this. I sure it is great but it is worth more than the engine.

well, its not for the rattle bombed "rat bike" crowd.

some people just like to have 100% confidence in their motor, even if its only worth 300 bucks.

jamesgs4
02-06-2011, 6:18 PM
I like the idea of having minimal wiring on the bike. A mag, reg/rec, couple fuses and like 5 wires! what will i do with my starter? Ha!! Call me a minimalist but when i don't even need a charging system to give me electrical headaches and buying a battery every couple of years. Im somewhat traditional, I mean mags have been used on bikes for years and they still are, i don't see many harley guys swapping out their charging system for some atv system when they make mags that work perfectly fine.

Adios

This is just an ignition system, if you want a headlight and taillight you still need to keep your charging system.

MIKE47
02-06-2011, 8:40 PM
That is sweet. If Morris makes it you can bet your ass it's a great product.

10can
02-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Looks like i would hit my knee on it all the time.

sweetpotato650
02-10-2011, 1:14 AM
Anyone ever used or heard of this?http://www.650central.com/Sparx%20install.htm

Punkskalar
02-10-2011, 7:44 AM
Anyone ever used or heard of this?http://www.650central.com/Sparx%20install.htm

Not even closely related to the Morris Magneto. That is a charging system... Again, 2 seperate systems.

XS2rat
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
has anyone decided to buy one of these things yet? i already have the banshee setup and im still considering saving for this thing. id like to hear how it works if anyone has used one yet