PDA

View Full Version : Single Down tube & Honda Four Motors

HumblePie68
01-29-2011, 7:45 AM
Have an old custom frame I want to put a Honda 550 in,,my question is the frame i have to use has a single down tube,, roughly 1 3/4 OD,, will I run into exhaust issues or is this enough room for them to squeak by ?

thelowlife
01-29-2011, 10:14 AM
The issue you may run into will be with the oil filter placement.. since its right on the front.

Hooligans
01-29-2011, 2:05 PM
not from experience but my guess would be you are probably going to run into a few issues. The only way to know what you are working with is to test fit the two together

sohcool
01-29-2011, 4:17 PM
Check how much spacing you have between 2-3 on the head. I'd do it, but it's cold out and it snowed last night, so I'm not going outside. haha

I think you might be ok actually.

As for the filter, how wide. tall is the area under the downtube where the lower support tubes meet and are welded in?

You *may* have to cut the frame to fix it so it clears that, but that's not a huge ordeal.

FWIW it can be done. I'm starting on a single downtube frame for one of my hondas soon. :thumbup:

HumblePie68
01-29-2011, 6:11 PM
What about relocating the filter ?? is that a doable thing with the Hondas ?

Basically looking to put a Honda motor in a Triumph frame

doodoo
01-31-2011, 2:47 PM
Ive thought of the same thing (honda motor in triumph) and the first guy was right about the oil filter. You can also tilt the engine forward to clear. Or cut and weld the split V bottom more up on the down tube...

image1
01-31-2011, 3:40 PM
that frame looks pretty haggard already.... you will def. run into problems with the oil filter, the 'Y' needs to be higher for a honda... look up some of Denver's old frames, the siamesed two tubes to look like a single...

junkyardjon
02-01-2011, 6:15 AM
What about relocating the filter ?? is that a doable thing with the Hondas ?

Basically looking to put a Honda motor in a Triumph frame

remote filter is doable. i couple guys run them