PDA

View Full Version : Stock 1980 XS 650 to buy or not to buy

LuckyCrox
01-26-2011, 7:30 PM
I found an XS650 and the guy wants $1,000. The bike is stock and looks pretty good for a 31 year old bike. Is there anything I should look at really hard before buying it.

I know somethings wrong with the electric start. When you push the button it goes "click", but the bike started on the 3rd kick and the guy said it's been sitting for 3 months. Other than that the bike seems to be in pretty good shape

I took a lot of pictures but this is the only one I can get to load.
Any advice is welcome, this will be the first bike I modify so I'm sure I'll be asking lots of silly questions.

OgdenCityMurderCycles
01-26-2011, 7:39 PM
"Click" may be a weak battery. If it kicks over and it looks like and runs like a thousand bucks, talk him down a little bit and buy it.

You are buying a bike to chop I'm assuming, so remember... If it's a thousand dollar looker and not a thousand dollar runner, it's not worth shit.

LuckyCrox
01-26-2011, 7:54 PM
Yeah,

I'm buying it to chop. I rode it around and it seemed fine. I just don't know much about these motors, I didn't know if they have any problem areas or years that quality was less than desirable. I would like to hardtail it and ride the dog snot out if it after my test ride it seems like a good candidate.

Is there anybody on here who would want the stock stuff like blinkers plastics ect??

OgdenCityMurderCycles
01-26-2011, 8:06 PM
I have a 1980. Couple friends of mine also have 80's and 81's... No problemo's.

mad750
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
The "click" could also be a bad solenoid.

Definitely talk him down in price and cold hard cash in the hand always talks.

Good luck and post away with the questions, have fun and post pics.