PDA

View Full Version : Question on hardtailing my GS850

cafewizzy
01-26-2011, 2:25 PM
Hey Rad Chopper Dudes!
I just picked up a 1981 GS850 and have seen some pretty bitchen ideas here visually. Can anyone Hit me with some knowledge on tubing size I should on my hard tail section. I can see from examples that most of these Chops are just running one straight peice of pipe to the area where the bottom shock would mount to. My question I guess is that that steel is flat on that end. and then of course round to mate with the back bone or spine section of the frame. where is a good place to order tubing or has some one that has done this before can you fab up the pipe peices I need to mock it inplace and weld together. Thanks for your help in advance.

rustrocket84
01-26-2011, 7:52 PM
Not positive but it's probably 1-1/8" and .120 wall Not sure where to get it in your area but www.industrialmetalsupply.com is where I get almost all of my materials.

drenfro22
01-27-2011, 4:34 PM
You can check out TC Bros website. They sell a universal builder's kit for hardtailing. Comes with pre-bent tubing, slugs, cross tubes, and axle plates

artizinn
01-08-2012, 9:09 AM
So what did u end up doing I just got one and am curious

bigdaddy
01-08-2012, 9:33 AM
tc bros is an option. i'm not a big fan of the bend on the bottom piece of the hardtail. it just don't care for the lines it makes. they have a pretty cool hardtail for 750's, but i don't know if it would line up. i'm assuming the 850 is a four cylinder? might work.

also, you could jump on 31 and head down to indy. ardcore choppers is in indy, and they do nice work. they could probably bend something up for you. they've got some sweet jap bikes. you should check out their website. i'm sure they'd be willing to bend something up for you and ship it out.

poorboy2k
01-24-2012, 8:55 PM
i just bought the 4ft lengths of tube from tc bros, i am getting a bender in a week or so, so i won't have issues with bending it but you culd just buy the extra tubing and have a fab shop do the bends for you and then make brackets to weld it on considering it all has to be removable to get the swingarm off in case of shaft changes. this is atleast what i am building for my gs right now. the brackets are not that difficult to make you just need some 1/8 in plate of rthe brackets.