PDA

View Full Version : Rewired Kawasaki not getting spark?

s650t
09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Rewiring a Kawasaki W650 removing the unnecessary stuff -- no turn signals, speedo/tach -- but keeping the electric start.

The starter turns over, power is getting to the coil, but there's no spark.

The bike has been sitting a long while, all circuits seem to be working.

Any thoughts on what to check for???

dirtyd
09-18-2009, 7:10 PM
if you have power to the coil but no spark, and the the starter is turning over check your lead coming off your breaker/points. should have power going to and through it. run that one down. let me know what happens. Also is this bike points or electronic ignition ?

s650t
09-18-2009, 7:22 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
The bike has an electronic ignition.

Estaban
09-18-2009, 7:28 PM
There is juice running through the system like it should be, new battery and coil...electronic ignition. According to the manual diagram, the ignition circuit has not been altered some of the leads have been shortened. The wires that were taken out (turn signals, etc. were not tied into the ingition
Any input greatly appriciated

s650t
09-18-2009, 7:37 PM
Cool, thanks for posting...
Estaban is doing the final assembly on the bike.

boogieman
09-19-2009, 9:13 AM
The starter turns over, power is getting to the coil, but there's no spark.

The bike has been sitting a long while, all circuits seem to be working.

Any thoughts on what to check for???

I would try a different set of coils, or wiggle the leads (plug wires) and see if it makes a difference.

Also, not to sound stupid, but are you sure there is no spark? Lay the plug on some metal and crank it, do you see a spark?

If you do see a spark, check that the EI is not backwards. I had one from dyna with the leads color coded backward from the factory.

Rudehog
09-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Put a test light on the negative side of the coil then crank it over, if the magnetic pickup is working it will send a signal to the module and the module will send a pulse signal to the coil and your test light will flicker while cranking. If the light stays on steady you possibly have a poor circut between the pickup and module or a module that has no power or ground. Check to make sure you have a quality ground. Follow the wire diagram and make sure you have voltage and ground to the module.

dirtyd
09-30-2009, 9:53 AM
quick question was the bike running before the strip down. this will help in the troubleshooting process. and is there a different module you could swap out to test and see if its working or not.

Gent
09-30-2009, 4:40 PM
Probably your ignition box, I had the exact same issue with my bike. I hate electrical. But I replace the box and viola! I had spark.

s650t
09-30-2009, 8:37 PM
Thanks for the responses...

Yeah, the bike was running before I decided to cut it up and it had less than 2500 miles on the odometer so the parts are almost new...

Gent
10-01-2009, 9:31 AM
Thanks for the responses...

Yeah, the bike was running before I decided to cut it up and it had less than 2500 miles on the odometer so the parts are almost new...
If you crossed any wires accidently before you set up your fusebox you could have fried your ignitor box. Pull the cover off of it and look at the circuit bored and check for burn marks. Mine ran before teardown, then I rewired it up and after a week of checking everything I pulled apart my box and saw a big hole in the circuit board.

earz
10-01-2009, 3:22 PM
What year is this? Is it an old original style W650 or one of the remakes from '99-'00?

The jap bikes use spark plug caps that thread onto the plug wire. Typically the wire is made to the coil. I've seen poor connections at the plug caps that resulted in no spark. To repair, unthread the cap from the wire. Trim off 1/8"-1/4" from the end of the wire. Thread your cap back on. Check your coil secondary resistance with the cap on. If the reading is off the charts, you may have a bad connection. Remove the cap and check resistance again. If it's still way off - you probably have a bad coil. Since it was running before, it's doubtful.

s650t
10-01-2009, 7:56 PM
It's a 2000. Thanks for the input...