PDA

View Full Version : Paughco rigid sportster build

vrod
01-16-2011, 9:15 AM
I'm trying to choose a rigid frame to drop my 03 sporty motor into. I've noticed a lot of builds are based on paghco frames. I've heard of people having alignment issues and really low ground clearance issues with paugcho sporty frames. Does anyone have any experience with a paughco sporty frame.

ginovaselino
01-16-2011, 9:33 AM
my buddy just got a paughco frame and its gorgeous! so mint, and every thing fits great. its for a 75 sporty. plus thats a company thats been around for a long time.
I would buy one for sure.

LAMF
01-16-2011, 10:19 AM
haha, Im the buddy he is talking about. it is a nice frame, I thougt the front motor mounts were a bit off but It ended up being my fault. had a friend help me pull and lift the motor and had it fixed up right in 5 minutes yesterday. It came set up to run a stock rear wheel with all the stock spacers and everything, perfect fit, thought I would have to fuck around with all that but no. I would recommend them for sure, I got mine through beerbreed / atomrotten on here and he and helped me out with alot of questions and shit before I went ahead and ordered it, and is still helping me out when I have a stupid question or 2 now that I have the frame.

as far as ground clearance I cant say how it rides but right now I have somewhere between 4" and 5", I can measure today and tell you for sure.

Shopshirt
01-18-2011, 3:22 PM
I have a Paughco for my 82 XLS build and when I did a mockup it was dead on. Some people have posted bad experiences with them, however, my frame lines up. Also, be advised the backend on some of the older frames like mine sit real low.

Madav8tr
01-18-2011, 3:59 PM
Here is a Paughco based sporty I helped a buddy with. Engine fitment and alignment was spot on but ground clearance is terrible. Personally, I have found that for most choppers, ground clearance is poor but it's not a big deal. Just ride the bike accordingly and there won't be any problems. I have 2 rigid chops and both suck when it comes to clearance but I wouldn't have them any other way. Anyway, here is the Sportster

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10782&stc=1&d=1295387929

Madav8tr
01-18-2011, 4:01 PM
BTW, I think the Paughco frame looks great. Much better looking than the led sled hardtail conversion i did on my 1990 1200 Sportster. Come to think of it, ground clearance sucks on that bike too but not as bad :)

24Cycles
01-18-2011, 5:56 PM
This is my personal 1960 Ironhead. I ride the hell out of it and clock 1500 miles a month plus on her. I have never had a issue with my Paughco S120 or 120 frames I have ran weld ons,bolt ons, and plenty of others frames but I choose Paughco for the ride quality. Hell they look damn good just sitting still in my opinion.
For the dough you can not beat it! My bike is set up with a 16" 21" combo and -2 front end from stock.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/atomrotten/DSCN1172.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/atomrotten/148561_1609241027732_1137393554_31674483_2304442_n .jpg

masterblaster
05-31-2011, 6:57 PM
i just got my s120 today from paughco.. i have to say im not that happy with it.. just looking at it i can tell there are a couple of things out of square.. i havnt checked my motor mounts yet but i can see that they are not as straight as i would like.. im not sure if im going to send it back or not..

IronheadChris
06-02-2011, 12:23 AM
I can't comment on the current build quality but they're QC used to be shit. I have a Paughco frame for my IH and it was made so half assed. I had to make (from scratch) new front motor mount plates because everything was so fucked. Do some searching around on the Jockey Journal and you will find quite a few other people with similar story's. Save the cash a go the Flyrite route.

-Chris

jrhamilton80
06-02-2011, 6:44 AM
Here's my experience with a Paughco Sportster frame, I used one on my last build... a brand new one came with the basket case motor I bought. The front loop was in pretty good shape as far as straight & square. There was a square-stock brace between the downtubes that was ugly as shit & crooked... it got replaced with some 1" DOM. The top motor mount is shit... got replaced with 3/8" plate. Now it is where the ignition switch is located (it works much better for that).

The back half of the frame had to come off for a few different reasons. First, I was trying to cram a 160 tire where a 130 was supposed to go. The frame didn't appreciate that, but I won the battle. Next, I ran a sprotor out back, which wasn't going to jive with the original axle adjusters.

Personally, if I were going to do another ground - up build, I don't think I would get another one. Oh, the MIG welds were hideous too. I'd probably call up someone like Tigman or Slim & have them make me whatever I needed. I think it would be about the same money, maybe slightly more, but I guarantee it'd be twice the frame the Paughco is. Plus the dimensions would be exactly what you wanted.

Good luck, chop on.

OldStfCycle
06-02-2011, 5:58 PM
I consider a few things here. I do agree there is much nicer frames on the market like the acme or flyrite etc. Of course they are more expensive and built at a much smaller production level (quantity) were as a company like Paughco is pushing out their door perhaps 10 times the amount of frames with about 400 different frame combinations and at a cheaper price. I just spent about 8 hours on a Paughco frame smoothing out welds, tig welding over other welds, adding stuff, removing stuff drilling wire holes etc. but really was it necessary ? The Paughco frame I have next to the one looks great without touching it and only having it powder coated. I know of some other frame companies that offer their frames as bare minimal needing a bunch of work for the same price as the higher end companies. One dose not even provide a top motor mount or a kick stand mount. So I guess it just depends on how much money... or time you want to spend and how picky you are.. and if your looking for full show or just a rider.
I wish the real Santee was still building frames.

TodoMotoSalty
06-02-2011, 6:02 PM
I have a Paughco for my 75 Ironhead. It's low but that's what I wanted anyways. Other than that, I have no complaints. Badass looking frame and my engine bolted on just fine.

jrhamilton80
06-03-2011, 8:04 AM
I wish the real Santee was still building frames.
My buddy has a '62 Panhead in a straight-leg rigid Santee... it's the nicest frame I've seen!

Airbrnrcndo76
11-17-2013, 9:04 AM
Nice looking bobtail rear fender! Been looking for one like that! Mind giving me the hookup on where you got it!

Thanks!

WillMorton83
07-16-2015, 6:06 PM
If ride height/ground clearance is a major consideration for you i wouldn't go with a flyrite smoking gun, they sit super low. Paughco is definitely the best bang for your buck. There are other companies that will do you right for a little more cash and a little more time, like spartan frame works, or haifley bros. Ground clearance will also have a lot to do with your front end length and rake. CTFS!

TravisLongBeach
07-24-2015, 10:57 AM
My Paughco frame was PERFECT fitting and was low as fuck just how I wanted it. Call them up and order a "straight leg" frame, it looks better and sits super low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YameHvbermM

WillMorton83
08-01-2015, 6:42 AM
I have seen the flyrite frames used, but haven't dealt with them yet. Does anyone know if there are any fitment issues or spacing issues?

Chompalomps
09-11-2016, 10:42 PM
My Paughco frame was PERFECT fitting and was low as fuck just how I wanted it. Call them up and order a "straight leg" frame, it looks better and sits super low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YameHvbermM

What dimensions did you go with? That looks killer.