PDA

View Full Version : First chop

remdog79
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I am building my first chop and had a few questions. I live in Vancouver Canada its a port city. I was curious if my frame is sanded to metal and clear coated will it rust, would the salt eat through the clearcoat. The second is there a easier way to clean 32 years of grime and tarnish from and engine then using a dremel?

Punkskalar
01-12-2011, 10:42 PM
The problem with just a clearcoat, is that ANY oils from your hands, or any moisture at all on the materials (even like .000005% moisture) will start to rust and spiderweb under the clear coat. If you can clean it 100% (inside and out) and then heat it in an oven before paint, and make sure you paint in a perfectly dry environment, then yes it will work great....

That said, it will work for a while. Ive done a few art pieces this way, and in the environment of the city, they have suffered within 2-3 years...

As for cleaning the engine, you can plug all holes, intake, exhaust, etc.. and haul it to the carwash, soak it in degreaser, and then blast the snot out of it. Wire wheels and brushes will get rid of the worst of it beforehand...

Ember
01-12-2011, 10:42 PM
If you use a good clear, not the cheapy stuff at home improvement stores, but clear from paint/body shops, you will be good. Just make sure to degrease everything and clean with a solvent like MEK before clearing.

Power washer and degreaser will take care of some of the grime, but it all comes down to a little muscle and scotch bright pads. Scrape what you can by hand and then use degreaser and a power washer, then finish with the pads and solvents.

Shacknasty
01-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Can't help with the clearcoat question.

The easiest way to clean stuff is blasting with media, You can use sand, glass beads, etc. One of the most home friendly is soda blasting. Plain old baking soda. Harbor fright sells a $20 gun that will do the job if ya got (or can borrow or steal) a compressor. Mask off with painters tape and get to blasting. An old box can work as a makeshift cabinet. Use a respirator if ya give a shit.

Or ya could pay someone $20 to do it for you(after you do the masking).

sure
01-13-2011, 4:55 PM
Have it powder coated..they have clear powder, you know.. Did it to mine,the bike has been ridden on all weather conditions for a few years and no rust anywhere.

remdog79
01-13-2011, 6:31 PM
Nice didn't realize there was clear powder coat thanks for the tipo

remdog79
01-13-2011, 6:34 PM
I will try the degreaser method this weekend hopefully it saves me some elbow grease