PDA

View Full Version : Help with BSA Frame!!!

Pete
09-16-2009, 6:05 AM
I screwed up!! As you can see from the pic, I've only got about 1 1/2" clearance from the bottom of the frame to the ground! I don't think thats going to work to well. I realize now what happened. This frame was bought off craigslist, the guy who sold it to me said he got it at a swap meet, and just had to many other projects. The hardtail was already welded on, but was really crooked (the wheel was leaning about 1" to one side). So I cut the hardtail off, cut about an inch off the lower legs where they meet the stock frame, bent and fitted new upper legs, tack welded it all square and true, then had a local weld shop finish tig the joints. When I got it back I slapped the rear tire in and instantly realized why everyone wanted to get rid of this basket case. I think the original owner welded each of the hardtail components on upside down! I layed one of the original upper legs along side the lower leg, the axel would be roughly 3-4" lower, right where it should be! Since this is my first build, I just copied what he did and now here I am. Any suggestions would be super appreciated! Please Help!!!!!!

GreaserMike
09-16-2009, 7:34 AM
British Cycle Supply (among others) makes a complete hardtail BSA frame...which might be a better option than messing with a frame that god knows how many ppl. have played with.

http://britcycle.com/Products/544/544800A041.jpg

http://britcycle.com/Products/544/544800A036.jpg

http://britcycle.com/Products/544/544800A001.htm

Or cut the hardtail off that frame and start over. The rear axle should be inline with the rear drive sprocket

Pete
09-16-2009, 7:46 AM
Greasermike,
Yeah, I've got their catalogue and stuff, but I wanted to really build this bike myself. So I'm leaving that as a last resort! Thanks!

GreaserMike
09-16-2009, 7:52 AM
Right on!

Well maybe you can use their measurements as a guide. Perhaps extend (and sleeve) the top rails of the hard tail which would move the axle plates lower.

Pete
09-16-2009, 8:14 AM
Yeah, my thought was to cut the top legs off, weld the frame to my flat bench, heat the lower legs at the bends, and pull them down a few inches. Then just make new upper legs longer to fit.

GreaserMike
09-16-2009, 8:22 AM
we have a couple of rigid BSA's using the same frame as yours at the shop. I'll take detailed photos and measurments for you if it helps.

Pete
09-16-2009, 8:28 AM
Oh, that would be great!!! Thanks so much. What I need is the measurment from the bottom of the stock frame, up to the centerline of the rear axle. In other words, if the frame is sitting flat on the bench, what is the distance up to the center of the axle??

Pete
09-17-2009, 8:34 AM
Decided yesterday to cut the hardtail off and then cut it into all it's individual compnents. Twenty minutes later and it was done! This sucks, but it's a learning experience. So now I order more 1" tubing and start over.

beezerglide
09-20-2009, 6:25 PM
at least you won't need much of a kickstand. ebay has prefab universal hardtail kits for about 120 buckaroos just four bent tubes and two axle plates. my bike is similiarly low hardtailed to allow for the 8" over forks that used to be on her. now with the superglide front end i'm rockin about 3". i might have to mount a skateboard wheel so i can power over speed bumps.

ChoppyGee
09-20-2009, 7:31 PM
at least you won't need much of a kickstand. ebay has prefab universal hardtail kits for about 120 buckaroos just four bent tubes and two axle plates. my bike is similiarly low hardtailed to allow for the 8" over forks that used to be on her. now with the superglide front end i'm rockin about 3". i might have to mount a skateboard wheel so i can power over speed bumps.
I hope you like driving straight ahaha, that is looow.