PDA

View Full Version : KZ1000 Rear Suspension Ideas

WyoBilly22
01-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I am trying to plan out my build on a KZ1000. I would like some input and thoughts on hardtail, lowered rear suspension, stretch, dropseats. Your Thoughts?

WOMPY
01-06-2011, 11:48 PM
There's no weld-on hardtail kits for kawis but with a jig and a welder anything is possible. Personally I don't like drop seat frames, just a fad, that puts you in a very uncomfortable riding position, not good with all that power at your disposal. Speaking of power is this your first bike?
If it is, think about a simple,comfortable, controllable bike in which you can sell ($$$) later if you want, as your interests and needs and funds change. Check out wrenchmonkees (http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/)' designs. KZ's were made for this style of bike- custom street tracker. Front and rear 16's look bitching too.
Now if you have your heart set on a "chopper build" then just know what you're starting with- a rather wide-bodied godfather of the sportbike. That is what I start with when starting a build- a look at the history of the bike and all possible incarnations that can come out of it. Don't rule out keeping the shocks out back either. Just my .02 :cheersmate:

WyoBilly22
01-07-2011, 9:14 AM
This is not my first bike, I have had a couple KZ's in the past but not the large KZ1000. I am still in the process of mapping out which route I want to go as far as a build. I just like to get others input and advice so I don't wind up trying something that someone already knows doesnt work. Thanks for the input.

Flatironmike
01-07-2011, 10:23 AM
my humble .02

the bike came with rear suspension. why not keep it? you didn't mention the style you were after, but, why turn a (somewhat) good handling machine into a rigid mess?

i suggest replacing the oem shocks with Progressives (as shown, below). makes life and your comfort much nicer. oh, this is an '81 KZ1000 - formerly an unsexy LTD model.

hope this helps.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5285850027_9ac212bcd4_z.jpg

'I'm worth a million in prizes'

visit: http://flatironmike.blogspot.com/

turbonate
01-07-2011, 12:40 PM
i agree with keeping the suspension, i ride a 750 rigid, my brother has a 1000 rigid dropseat (that i think is uncomfortable as hell) and i built a streetfigher/ cafe stye bike for one of my friends. the fighter is the most fun in my opinion because you can still do wheelies, powerslides, and ride like a retard on twisy roads and still have kidneys and all your skin at the end of the day. just my $.02 for whatever it's worth. i guess my taste is evolving from more visual toward more functional.

WyoBilly22
01-07-2011, 1:31 PM
I am going more for the "bobber" look, but with some sort of twist I haven't figured out yet. And Wheelies are indeed fun, so good point there. I am still in the brainstorm phase, trying to get a clear cut path so I don't have to backtrack and such. Keep the input coming, love to hear everyone's input. And it currently sits as a 1979 KZ1000 Police bike minus the bags, screen, and seat.

Brandon
01-09-2011, 11:05 PM
i have an 80 kz1000 that i rode all year as a trcker/cafe hack kinda thing and it was more fun than any of my harleys ive owned. Now im onto phase 2 of its life by building a rigid frame for it. I kept the neck down tubes and motor cradle and everything else ive hand build. I will say this its not an easy project building the frame so if your limited to skills, tools what have you id say go towards a build like flat iron mike.

WyoBilly22
01-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Fun is good. I have a big long bike already so I will keep this one more on the sporty side.