PDA

View Full Version : Buying Just an Engine (Canada)

rusjack
01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm hazy on the details of engine numbers, ownerships and frame numbers. I've had this idea for awhile, but I don't want to sink any money into it and wind up in shit creek.

I really don't have space right now for another bike, or the funds right away. What I've been thinking about is buying a basket (or complete) triumph unit engine and rebuilding it bottom up, teaching myself as I go, and then when I have the fresh engine ready to go, I'll build a bike around that. I'm in school for Aircraft Maintenance and taking some pretty in-depth engine overhaul classes right now and i really do enjoy engine work, but should I be worried about buying an engine without a frame?

What sort of things should I look out for? Bill of sale with the engine? If I buy the engine from someone in the USA and have it shipped to Canada, would I be in the clear?
I've heard conflicting things on how bikes are registered...ie. before a certain date by frame, after by cases...

I imagine it is the same as a lot of you do (buying an engine and frame with non matching numbers and no title) but am I being a pussy if I'm sort of worried about it?

Any info is appreciated.

Choppedtriumphs
01-06-2011, 3:44 AM
I'm not really sure in Canada, But here in Florida ,when a bike is registered it's registered to the frame,..the DMV didn't care what the numbers on the motor were,..

I,myself would rather pay a buck or two for a frame with a title or a manufactures certificate of origin ,..

The only problem with buying a frame with a mso is whatever year you decide to register it, it will be THAT year bike (here in Fl),..So, if your spending your money on rebuilding lets say a 64 Triumph when its finished it will be titled as a 2011 or 2012 ,...Here in the states anyway,...not sure about Canada though?.... thats something for you to look in to...let us know..

guschambers
01-06-2011, 8:26 AM
You can try to find a frame with a title and use those numbers
Or If you dont have any ownerships with either the frame or the motor, you can take one set of numbers to the MTO (if youre in ontario) and tell them it's your uncle's/grandfathers bike that youre planning on "restoring". If those numbers dont work for some reason, try the engine numbers at a different MTO. etc...
They'll ask you to sign an affidavit stating that to the best of your knowledge it isn't hot. You should end up with an ownership declaring the vehicle "unfit". then when it's finished, you can take it to a shop to get safetied.
I just sold a friend a BSA motor and frame . he used the frame numbers and it worked out ok for him. good luck,

rusjack
01-06-2011, 9:57 AM
So I take it I wouldn't have THAT much of an issue with mismatched numbers?
I could always just track down a front loop with a title or clean numbers and use that to register the bike, right?

I need to talk to someone at the MTO who has a clue

Roddy
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
My frame numbers are covered up by paint/bondo so I'll let you know in the spring when I try to get a safety inspection!:banghead:

guschambers
01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
ya man, dont sweat it too much,. If you really want to ride, you'll find a way... most times a 30 yr old bike doesnt even show up on their registry anyway. no big whup.

BillySlicks
01-06-2011, 2:59 PM
This is what you need to know.
If buying an engine from the states, or a frame always get a bill of sale just in case.

First thing to do is once you get the engine go to your DMV run the numbers.
More than likely if it came out of the states it will be clear in canada. Meaning there will be no record. So you can work around those numbers.

If all that works out for you and the engine comes back clear. Get yourself a frame and go to town. We re-stamp frames with clear engine numbers when we have to.
And it works.

If the engine doesn't have clear numbers, sort your self a frame repeat the process as above. With luck your frame numbers will be clear.

If all this fails. You'll have to go through special construction status.

Good luck.

BillySlicks
01-06-2011, 3:03 PM
BSA were not matching number bikes until '68 and in Canada title goes with frame not motor.

Sometimes its nice to have separate set of numbers if the ones on your frame are no good. You can always run the engine numbers. Think of it as a second chance...

You can try to find a frame with a title and use those numbers
Or If you dont have any ownerships with either the frame or the motor, you can take one set of numbers to the MTO (if youre in ontario) and tell them it's your uncle's/grandfathers bike that youre planning on "restoring". If those numbers dont work for some reason, try the engine numbers at a different MTO. etc...
They'll ask you to sign an affidavit stating that to the best of your knowledge it isn't hot. You should end up with an ownership declaring the vehicle "unfit". then when it's finished, you can take it to a shop to get safetied.
I just sold a friend a BSA motor and frame . he used the frame numbers and it worked out ok for him. good luck,

rusjack
01-06-2011, 3:25 PM
If all that works out for you and the engine comes back clear. Get yourself a frame and go to town. We re-stamp frames with clear engine numbers when we have to.
And it works..

So with some luck, the engine comes back with clear numbers. This re-stamping the frame business, is it a legit thing or sort of 'under the radar' so to speak. Who is 'we"? A shop?

I guess what im wondering is if I get an engine.. Numbers come out clear, then what? Do I get a title made for those numbers, and pop it in a frame with different numbers? If I do that, wouldn't I get nailed for having the wrong numbers on the frame?

BillySlicks
01-07-2011, 4:51 PM
nothing in re-stamping a frame is legit.
It's under the radar.

You can be thankful that most cops have no idea where to find numbers if they are not on the neck of a bike.

"we" is us. no more needs to be or should be said in regards to this particular topic.

get your papers off the engine number, stamp your frame if you want to, or don't

I know guys in canada who have gotten away with just saying they had frame issues and threw everything into a new frame and the cops said fine after checking the engine numbers.

use your discretion

rusjack
02-27-2011, 4:34 PM
Awesome.

Picked up a '68 A50 engine, rev mike has some manuals in the mail for me.
I'm pumped!

BillySlicks
02-27-2011, 6:58 PM
the fine gentlemen at Rogue speed shop will be your best Canadian BSA resource.
The have everything you could ever want or need in regards to building BSAs

Hit them up thru their site or blog if you need shit. Damn good prices and cheap shipping cos it's in Canada and so are you.

You'll also be happy to know that the 500 and 650 are the same damn motor apart from the top ends. so making the switch to a 650 is easy and cheap

rusjack
03-01-2011, 9:40 AM
the fine gentlemen at Rogue speed shop will be your best Canadian BSA resource.
The have everything you could ever want or need in regards to building BSAs

Hit them up thru their site or blog if you need shit. Damn good prices and cheap shipping cos it's in Canada and so are you.

You'll also be happy to know that the 500 and 650 are the same damn motor apart from the top ends. so making the switch to a 650 is easy and cheap

Thanks. I saw the piles of brit stuff they got in on that blog a few weeks ago, perfect.

Heres what I picked up
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181552_10150426068700224_690980223_17713134_210495 3_n.jpg

2 or 3 broken fins on the head, jugs have a bit of rust on the inside, no seize marks on them or the pistons. Stock bore, no clutch / primary, etc etc. Just going to do a complete tear down, clean, inspect and rebuild.

Blacktopbandit
03-01-2011, 9:52 AM
Just saw on the GTA kijiji the dude from Highway Cycles in Dundas was selling off a lot of his stock. Complete engines and all sorts of parts. May be worth a comparison on stuff you'll need...

rusjack
03-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah man, I saw that. Shot him a few emails about that stuff.

UNKLian
03-01-2011, 8:54 PM
Got a link ? :confused:

Yes I searched, no luck.

rusjack
04-10-2011, 3:17 PM
The add he had up is down, but you can reach Rick from Highway Cycles @ 905 690 3966 .. just outside of Hamilton.

rusjack
09-15-2011, 9:15 AM
So, I took my engine numbers down to the MTO. They were clean, and I told them the bike was my grandfathers. Now, before I can sign the affidavit for the ownership, they told me I need a bill of sale from whoever now owns my grandfathers estate stating the bike was to be given to me, AND I have to get it inspected by an antique motorcycle club and have someone from that group write a letter stating the numbers are correct.

At least the numbers are clean.... I have a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from somewhere, looks like it'll be easier to use that.

guschambers
09-15-2011, 1:42 PM
hey, ive got a fair amount of bsa stuff too. im in windsor.