PDA

View Full Version : 71 triumph 4 speed trans indexing ?s

BIGWORM
01-05-2011, 6:23 PM
So i have built a few unit style triumphs and know that indexing the trans is a pain in the ass, but have come up with a few tricks for the 5 speed and even the 4 speed. Except the one i am currently working on is a 71 i guess the 71 and 72 dont have a plunger coming up through the bottom of the trans case,instead have a wierd tab/ leaf spring mechanism that is attached to the inner gear box cover. So any triumph gurus have any info on how to index it when the quadrant moves since there is no plunger to hold it or what gear you would even attempt to put it together in??? Any help would be awesome thanks guys and girls!!!
BIGWORM

Choppedtriumphs
01-06-2011, 3:23 AM
I just rebuilt a 71 4 speed, (the kind with the leaf spring),..I did it the same way as i did the trans in the 65 ,..(with the plunger)..

I guess really the only thing I did that was different was to offer the inside trans door(with the leaf spring) very gently ,...that being said it did take me a time or two to get it in correctly,..

Hopefully someone else will jump in here ...

Also,..if you look under the trans compartment you can still see where the plunger used to be,..I've heard stories that some people have drilled and tapped them to put the plunger back in ..I've never done it ,...just throwing it out there..

Good luck with your project

image1
01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
are you working on a 4 speed? if so it all goes together EXACTLY the same as a plunger type. If its a 5 spd, the indexing process is explained clearly in the manual, trans. should be in 1st gear, but other than that, it all goes together the same as well, there should be nothing moving.

tokes61
01-07-2011, 1:51 AM
modify it to a plunger , dont tell anybody i said this:eek: but theres a thread on the jj about this :rolleyes::cheersmate:

BIGWORM
01-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the help fellas i knew puting a plunger in was a option but was really not excited about taking everything apart to do it. So i will try to see if i can get it handled with my leaf spring setup. Have a good weekend and thanks!

Hepcat13
01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I just did the plunger mod on my '71 and it was really easy with the jig. It took a afternoon and I was happy. If your going to do it do some research first cause the camplates aren't the same.

http://www.gabma.us/docs/Leaf_Spring_Conversion.pdf

BIGWORM
01-08-2011, 4:16 PM
Very cool info thanks man.

CMA406
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
i battled my leaf spring for hours trying to do it how the manual says, and then i read this

http://jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56228&highlight=triumph+leaf+spring

i did like that and it took 15 minutes and i was catching all my gears just fine. And as far as the leaf goes, ill fix mine if its a problem, but until then, im just gonna run it. Ive heard of plenty of people saying their leaf spring trannys shift just fine.