PDA

View Full Version : good deal or no?

fendrjgstng94
01-05-2011, 2:46 PM
hey guys, Ive been a british lurker for awhile, but mostly did my bidding in the jap section. Looking to try to get into BSAs and/or Triumphs. A local shop by my house sells alot of vintage bikes and they got this bsa that can possibly have some potential with TLC.

heres the description

1968 BSA LIGHTNING

THIS IS A 1968 COMPLETE BSA LIGHTNING PROJECT MOTORCYCLE READY TO RESTORE AND RIDE. THE MOTORCYCLE HAS ALL THE ORIGINAL PARTS AND IS IN FAIR CONDITION. THIS IS AN EXCEPTIONAL OFFERING BECAUSE WE USUALLY PART THESE MOTORCYCLES OUT. FIRM SALES PRICE IS $4,000.00

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c266/fendrjgstng94/bsa2.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c266/fendrjgstng94/bsa1.jpg

The guy said hell let it go for $3k when i talked to him a few days ago. He says it has a seized engine and he says sometimes all it needs is a little oil down into the pistons and itll loosen right up, the key work being sometimes. You think I should make him a lower offer or just stay away? Those are the only pics i got from the site.

I think unless its running its not worth near what they want. Its rusted and hasnt been maintained over the years.

Thanks

Lordmerciless
01-05-2011, 2:59 PM
Not a good deal, even at $3K. You can find this same bike in much better shape cosmetically and mechanically for $3K!
Consider that bike a project. If you feel like restoring it, offer him $1000.

fendrjgstng94
01-05-2011, 3:10 PM
thats honestly what i think i should offer. Ive seen great condition bsa's and triumphs that went for 4k. i might offend him (he seemed like a proud/cocky guy), but hey i need to protect myself and he needs to make a profit. he told me he found it in a barn in maine and was sitting there for god knows how long.

what arguments can i make about the seized engine? he says all you might need to do is put some oil down the chamber. how often does that work? and if that doesnt work what would i have to do to un-seize it? i want to go in there 100% confident so he knows he cant trick me.

and im probably going to have to replace all the gaskets and possibly even new wiring, right?

could be a good project while I got some time, but Im not getting ripped off for a potential money pit.

KT
01-05-2011, 3:11 PM
I have to agree the market right now is not great on bikes you could find a already chopped project that runs for around that price...And a basket case for way less ....Just go to ebay and look at completed auctions on bikes running projects all day long at $1000-$2000 and only a couple that have sold for over $4000

KT
01-05-2011, 3:16 PM
As far as the seized engine ...really ? alittle oil down the cylinder and all should be fine huh? ..yea that sounds like a bike I want to ride everywhere and trust come on if it's seized it needs some mechanical help and that's just a fact ...If someone was selling a house and said well you see half the foundation is falling in and collapsed but I am sure with a jack and some bags of quickrete it should be fine ...

Guys blowing smoke he has a bike that needs rebuilt and he is trying to highball it

guschambers
01-05-2011, 3:34 PM
ya, that's too much. with a seized engine, it aint even worth half of the asking price. keep looking theyre out there.

and dont worry about offending the guy, He wasnt worried about offending you when he wanted 4 thousand for a bike with a motor that wont even move.

fendrjgstng94
01-05-2011, 6:28 PM
you think i should skip out on even trying to deal with this guy or give him a low ball est like 800-1k? and point out everything wrong if he gives me lip

i doubt hes even had a bite if its that high of a price. site said 4k. he said oh no, its 3k making it seem like hes giving me a deal. like i said dude was pretty cocky. i kind of want to try to tackle this project instead of picking up where someone left off. its a great feeling taking a bike from nothing to something.

ill shop around and see whats available as for brit bikes

fatass
01-05-2011, 7:59 PM
If you get it, I have a seat I'll sell you without any tears at ALL for $950.
Fuck it, I'll go an even $900. PM me for pics.

fendrjgstng94
01-05-2011, 8:05 PM
If you get it, I have a seat I'll sell you without any tears at ALL for $950.
Fuck it, I'll go an even $900. PM me for pics.

im considering the offer. ;)

trnrover
01-05-2011, 8:44 PM
:eek:..............http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Classic-1969-BSA-Thunderbolt-Antique-Motorcycle-/140497400504?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item20b64c32b8

fendrjgstng94
01-05-2011, 9:31 PM
:eek:..............http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Classic-1969-BSA-Thunderbolt-Antique-Motorcycle-/140497400504?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item20b64c32b8

looks good. im quite not in the market to buy, but after tax returns i should be comfortable to start a project. i kind of want a crappier condition bike so i dont feel bad if i teardown a mint original style bike to make a bobber. and so i can feel the satisfaction of taking something with rust and making it my own

snapperturtle
11-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I picked up a rolling basket and a 70% parts bike, ('65 650 bonnie) for $600.00... the price he is asking seems way to high...

dazegoneby
11-30-2011, 10:25 PM
alot for locked up beezer,get a triumph,you,ll be glad you did.

RetroRob
11-30-2011, 11:43 PM
A lot more triumphs out there, and a lot more parts available. A grand for non runner tops.'I've seen some decent bike around here for less than 2000.

starwolf
12-01-2011, 6:35 AM
4k and you cant hear it run, rubbish ! NOT A GOOD DEAL,thats a horrible deal ! offer him like 1200-1600, 2k tops if you just really want THAT bike. Tell him you'll likely need to spend about that much to get it roadworthy from the sounds of it. (engine rebuild, tires, brakes, wiring, etc, shit adds up) get a Triumph, you won't regret it.
:cheersmate: