PDA

View Full Version : 78 XS650 with mods wont start.. HELP!

FestersGarage
12-29-2010, 4:18 AM
Ok so I got a 78 xs with a sparx stator setup, pamco ignitor, and a ACCEL Harley super coil (dual outpit) Mikuni aftermarket carbs. Im getting spark and i got fuel its kick start only but every once and a while it will start and cut off and when i turn off the power to the coil it back fires. Anybody have any ideas?

MrBillohnooo
12-29-2010, 9:56 PM
Check your timing, and the ground for the pamco. I run a redundant ground from my coil/frame to the engine, and the pamco grounded at the same location. Check all your grounds and hot connections for that matter. I have twisted wrenches for over 35 years as a means of a living and or a hobby, and grounds cause more electrical problems than anything. If it runs, you are close....more fine tuning! Good luck with your XS project!!

jasonrenda
01-02-2011, 9:36 AM
from my own frustrating experience, good clean thick ground wires are a must on the XS 650 - at least on mine. i know i fought various issues and swapped batteries and no luck until i went and just bought a thick ground cable from autozone. so far have had better luck but thats only been tested while idling on the lif. have to see if its fixed under load.