PDA

View Full Version : Donor bike question

baravettski
09-14-2009, 3:49 PM
Whattup y'all,

So I'm going to get myself a little project for the rainy season up here, and I'll probably be learning most of it as I go. Quick question for those of you that have done this before, what would be the better option?

1. Donor bike that's dumb cheap, but doesn't run.

2. Donor bike that costs maybe 300-400 more but does run.

Any feedback is appreciated.

thx

junkyard2
09-14-2009, 4:00 PM
depends on what you want to do with it.
if you want to touch every little piece of it then get one that don't run..
but one that runs is always better to me that is but either way

WOMPY
09-14-2009, 4:01 PM
First look at what bike or bikes you want ( kawasaki kz, honda cb750, yamaha sr500, xs650). Can you see what you want to do with that particular bike? Then research each one and see what the advantages and disadvantages are ( problems starting, hard to get parts, electrical issues, etc).
One that runs is always better because you can hear the valves clacking , the carb sputtering, is it charging,and you can run it thru the gears. You kinda know what you're getting into at this point.
My first pick would be the XS650. Basically a triumph clone that can be chopped up in so many different ways and still has alot of aftermarket support.
Good luck and remember do the research. It really pays off in the end. GOOD LUCK

baravettski
09-14-2009, 4:05 PM
yeah, I'll research it up for sure. right now there's a xs750 in the not running category for $275 up here and a sr500 for $650 that runs but needs a tank and carb clean. i'll keep internetting my face off on it too, thanks for the replies so far.

dannyb
09-14-2009, 5:31 PM
go for the sr.

swiffer
09-14-2009, 5:36 PM
I have gone both ways and a runner is best .That way you have a starting point and are more likely to finish it.

rusjack
09-14-2009, 7:19 PM
if i bought a runner i would have spent way more time riding this summer, instead i spent it cussing and walking everywhere

i have two bikes that arent running at the moment, and some days i feel like trading for a runner.

opposed
09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
One other thing to consider when picking a donor bike is how much info is available for that bike, ie., parts/forums/pics. I'm real partial to the old cb750/550/350 because of the mass amount of knowledge that is at hand for these bikes. It'll make your project easier when you don't need spend 3 months trying to locate parts too. keep us posted

baravettski
09-14-2009, 10:43 PM
hellyeah, thanks guys. there seems to be a good amount of options up here the more I look. A few different CBs and a KZ650 that needs coils and a battery for real cheap. I will keep you all posted for sure, and again, thanks for the comments/help.

Boylecomm
09-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Get the runner! You'll spend the money making the other run anyway.
I have a grip of left over SR take offs and then some including a tank. The carb you'll want to change ASAP anyway the Stocker is a shitbox pumper carb that's not fun to fuck with.
The SR can be a bitch to fire up starter but the payoff is for a few bucks you can ditch the battery for a capacitor & the oil tank is in the frame. All good shit that makes for an easy clean looking bike in the end.
$650 is a good price for a running SR.

Mark @ thumperstuff is your man, he's up in your neck of the woods anyway.

http://www.thumperstuff.com/

Come on Shawn you have my email, Right?

baravettski
09-15-2009, 10:46 PM
well righty oh then. It's $650 for an almost runner it sounds like, but not as bad of shape of some of the others. I'll get it sorted and give you a holler.

thanks hoss,
s.

Boylecomm
09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, Now Sons of Anarchy is on.

dirtyd
09-19-2009, 8:13 AM
what Ive learned is this , look for a bike that is bashed up in the sheet metal department, and has ads like " needs some work, or needs battery, or needs carbs cleaned out. usually if the bigazz ugly seat is all torn up some folks think that is a " nasty tore up bike" but to people like us it means saving alot of $$$$ all that shit is getting chopped anyway. I love finding the ones with the turn signals all bent and broken and the big ass ugly tail light broken, and the headlight that dosent work. Then old granny is like I know it needs alot of work but it does run. Bam im on it. those are the great finds. Running is so much better it helps when you are eliminating the various electrical components. And its easier to see what may or not be needed on the engine/ carbs etc. A whole lot cheaper too. good luck man