PDA

View Full Version : stretched drop seat xs650 build

nohtn
12-26-2010, 2:49 PM
Ok guys Ive been working on this for a year now but progress is slow because of Fire academy but i'll post the pics I do have.
Bio: the bike started life as a stock 1980 crap pile.
Parts: Old parts I can find for free or really cheap but im trying to do it right.

nohtn
12-26-2010, 2:53 PM
xxx

nohtn
12-26-2010, 2:56 PM
Thought this sissy bar looked alright couldnt think of anything better....

sohcool
12-26-2010, 4:15 PM
Just a question, and maybe others can chime in, but what's the point of a "dropped seat frame" when the seat is mounted where it would be with a linear hardtail following the backbone?

I've seen a few of these on here, and just wondered?

My honda will be a dropped seat frame, no springer seat, where the seat is literally dropped below linear from the backbone. I always understood that to be a drop seat.

nohtn
12-26-2010, 4:48 PM
Technically it isnt a drop seat. When I started the build I was going to do the regular hartail section like everyone else does but I didnt want to be like them so this is what I came up with. I wanted the lines to flow so in trun this is what came of it.
Ive seen lots of "drop seat" frames and I like the look but I dont like the feeling of draggin my ass on the ground so I made the seat pan to sit just under where it would be stock. I.E. suspension seat.:)

mummyarms
12-26-2010, 5:05 PM
damn

nohtn
12-26-2010, 5:53 PM
My uncle gave me a spool wheel that was on his dragster from the 60's but im having trouble identifying it, anybody have a clue what it is?

nohtn
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Built a seat pan, now Ive got to have it covered. Anybody got any cool ideas?

nohtn
03-19-2011, 2:21 AM
Thumbs up for more updates;)
found an old headlight layin around figured it would look good so made a mount out of bar stock and plate and there you have it.....headlight mount.
Also used the lathe to to turn down a new axle end so my tensioner would have somethin to push against. I made another one for the other side but I failed to take a picture. Damn it!

Plus a couple of pics of what ive been working on:)

Sects
03-19-2011, 3:14 PM
Just a question, and maybe others can chime in, but what's the point of a "dropped seat frame" when the seat is mounted where it would be with a linear hardtail following the backbone?

I've seen a few of these on here, and just wondered?

My honda will be a dropped seat frame, no springer seat, where the seat is literally dropped below linear from the backbone. I always understood that to be a drop seat.

My dropped seat isn't a dropped seat due to carburetors... Had to position the seat higher to keep my pants from getting sucked in. Once I revise it, it will be a true dropped seat.

The XS just has poor carburetor placement for a cool dropped seat daily rider.

nohtn
05-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Ttt

Spade115
05-10-2011, 12:15 AM
You can always cover it with a bandana for now. and use it as is until you decide what you want on it

nohtn
05-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I dont know what im going to do about the seat, probably ride bare steel for now.
Found out my bike is over charging so Im not sure if I should replace the rectifier or what.
Any suggestions?