PDA

View Full Version : Loud drag pipes

hobie
12-25-2010, 2:39 PM
Got pulled over the other day and the cop said to loud(xs650 with pipes cut even with pegs)so a quick trip to the hardware store,I bought a 1/2"x5" galvanized pipe with threads on both ends,and 2 1/2"round end caps,put a hole in each of the caps,threaded them on the pipe which I had cut in half,drilled a 1/4" hole through the pipes and the galvanized pipe,stuck the end of the galvanized with the cap on it into the exhaust,bolted the galvanized into the exhaust and "walla"I have a 5minute 5dollar baffle.Hillbilly Engineering,don't know if it'll help but there ya go.

MrBillohnooo
12-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Funny how cops will pull over a rider on a 650 for loud pipes. I had the same thing happen to me in Amarillo, TX not long ago. I have a 2 into 1 with a supertrapp, and it isn't loud by any means. Not to cut down Harleys at all, Ive had a few,and rode them for years with unbaffled pipes and no legal issues..... but the locals run with open pipes and do burnouts in the middle of the same street I got yanked over on and get by with it. Non-Harley profiling is what I call it. I did a post on XS650.com about it...."so I got pulled over for loud pipes"
May be that things are different where you live.
As for your baffle, just another product of nessesity.....
I will step off my soap box now.....lol

wickedblockhead
12-25-2010, 11:15 PM
yea i dont know about the harley guys not gettin nailed for loud pipes.... been there..... i even get nailed for glass packs on my pickup.....