PDA

View Full Version : 76 xs650 battery/electrical relocation

Heis
09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Whats up. just getting started on tearing down my 76 xs. I originally wanted to hardtail it but after doing some research might want to just stick with the softail (im building this so that my girl can ride with me cause my sportbike is to uncomfortable for her).

Has anyone relocated the battery and electrical to lower on the frame (like on many of the bobbers)? I want to try and clean up everything as much as possible by getting the battery to the bottom of the frame and everything else going in an oil can, but before I go hacking stuff up I want to know what will work and what won't. This is my first build so I am a little lost as to what direction it will be able to go. Thanks.

dannyb
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
is there room to relocate the stock battery to the bottom of the frame without choping ( and stretching) it? I dont know. i do know that if you wanted to eliminate some stuff, and go kick start only, some guys have been using smaller batteries (scooter mabey) hidden in a pan benieth the seat. you could then hang the false oil bag full of electronics off it. thats what i plan to do with my street tracker.

scandia
09-15-2009, 4:27 PM
I am building one for my wife also. "Bratstyle" for lack of a better term. I am puting an AGM battery under the swingarm on the frame. its smaller than the standard battery but with the same cranking amps.

dannyb
09-15-2009, 5:26 PM
I am building one for my wife also. "Bratstyle" for lack of a better term. I am puting an AGM battery under the swingarm on the frame. its smaller than the standard battery but with the same cranking amps.

could you post more info on this battery?

philbey
09-20-2009, 8:35 PM
Yeh, I'm interested in more info on the battery as well.

Mind you the big open space in the frame would bug me.

TemeculaTerry
09-21-2009, 6:09 AM
Take out the starter, relieve the bike of ALL unnecessary instruments and lighting, run a tail and headlight, re-wire the entire bike from scratch - thats it. Go buy your self a 3-5amp 12v alarm battery. Have or make a custom battery box made and stick it where it fits. Even if you see the battery ot wont look bad.

scandia
09-21-2009, 7:26 AM
The battery Im using is a lawnmower battery it has 225 cranking amps but only 8.6 amp hours Length =6.0" Width=3.43" Height=3.69" its made by power source. The website is http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/PS_Lawnmower_Batteries.htm

Heis
09-21-2009, 7:57 AM
wow good info. im gonna get started on this tonight and see where it goes.

scandia
09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I have not actually bought the battery yet so this is all theory. Though I did make a mock up of it and it looks like it will fit.

SoulCal1
09-21-2009, 7:11 PM
Try www.thumperstuff.com they sell a battery eliminator for only $25. It's small enough to store anywhere.

philbey
09-22-2009, 12:40 AM
I had a good look over the XS Wiring diagram last night, should be a piece of piss to rewire from scratch (no need for indicators!)

dannyb
09-26-2009, 12:05 PM
That battery eliminator could be the way to go. Anybody ever use one?

dannyb
09-26-2009, 12:26 PM
it should be pointed out that if you go to a small battery or battery eliminator, the bike would be kick start only. Probably common knowledge, but thought i would mention it just in case. White brothers sells a kit for 25 bucks.

scandia
09-26-2009, 6:23 PM
See now I thought that if it had the same cranking amps it would still turn it over?

dannyb
09-26-2009, 8:13 PM
from what i've read, if you go to a smaller type battery, it wouldnt turn over, but what your saying makes sense. From what i've read, it always seemed that you could only due kick. Perhaps this applys only to the "batteryless option." I have zero to none experiance with messing with electrics, so dont take my word for it. Just repeating what i've read and what makes sense to me.

dannyb
09-26-2009, 8:14 PM
wow, i typed the words "from what i read" a lot in that last post. oops

Robhall
10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Can you run a battery eliminator with the stock electro magnet stator, or do you have to use a permanent magnet type?

jamesgs4
10-23-2009, 9:44 PM
Can you run a battery eliminator with the stock electro magnet stator, or do you have to use a permanent magnet type?
heres a link on the permanent magnet mod
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=11096
heres what i did with 6 dollars:
http://www.thechopperunderground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36508&hl=tiny

Mike
10-30-2009, 8:21 AM
I have done the mag mod and it works great! Way better than the stock charging system. It starts up every day and runs strong with no battery. Its awesome!