PDA

View Full Version : BSA Hardtails - to keep the original loop or not...

theOldePro
12-21-2010, 6:18 PM
I'm about to embark on a BSA rigid chop project for a friend here in Brooklyn and I've noticed that there are 2 distinct ways that people do the weld ons:

1) Keeping the original front loop of the frame and welding the rear behind it, thus no vertical seatpost on the frame...

or

2) Cutting the sides of the middle of the original loop and welding on a hardtail that has a vertical seatpost and winds up looking more like a sportster or Harley big twin rigid frame.

so.......is there a preference? Is one a better way to make the frame? Any help or insight would be great. If its a matter of style PERSONALLY, I like keeping the whole front loop, just because its pretty different than your standard unit-style (triumph or sportster for that matter) weld on hardtail. frame.

LinkBelt
12-21-2010, 7:03 PM
You can keep the front loop intact and add a hard tail. Beezers are a tricky deal when it comes to hard tailing them though. The main thing to remember is keep your lower rails parallel to the ground.

Blackjack
12-22-2010, 6:07 AM
A 10 swing arm, A65, A65 OIF?

Which?

HumblePie68
12-22-2010, 6:43 AM
I think the A10 looks best with the hardtail,,it will also take an A65 motor as well as it's own.

image1
12-22-2010, 8:20 AM
its pretty much a matter of personal preference, those side rails look cluttered to me, only thing i don't like BSA's, if i was gonna do one, i'd prolly do a single vertical seatpost like a triumph ( BUT i'd have a HARD time cutting up a clean front loop)

BillySlicks
12-23-2010, 4:28 PM
You can do both.

If you put a seat post in there be prepared to do the extra work of fabbing in the rear motor mounts for the engine.

As for the rails being parallel? Not sure what you're getting at. We've done so many of these. Get it in the jig and decide your stretch. Same as any other frame.

I'd say the only bitch is that the back bone in the original frame is so gradual that some where in the hard tail you're going to have to make up for it if you want the continuation of the line from the back bone to the axle plates.

5" stretch works the best we found. Anything longer you don't have that issue but you have one long looking frame

LinkBelt
12-23-2010, 6:11 PM
You can do both.

If you put a seat post in there be prepared to do the extra work of fabbing in the rear motor mounts for the engine.

As for the rails being parallel? Not sure what you're getting at. We've done so many of these. Get it in the jig and decide your stretch. Same as any other frame.

I'd say the only bitch is that the back bone in the original frame is so gradual that some where in the hard tail you're going to have to make up for it if you want the continuation of the line from the back bone to the axle plates.

5" stretch works the best we found. Anything longer you don't have that issue but you have one long looking frame

Keeping the bottom frame rails parallel to the ground will keep the motor in the right position instead of tilted up in the front BillyBonehead.

theOldePro
12-24-2010, 10:53 AM
the bike is a 1970 A65. Yeah, I've definitely noticed that with some of the hardtails, the motor winds up getting tiled back a bit once the frame is done.

I wound up buying a frame that had the original front loop in tact and had the hardtail welded on already. I'll get a build post going after the holidays and we start moving on it! I'm sure there will be more questions. Especially once we get working on those Amals......

BillySlicks
12-24-2010, 6:27 PM
ya cos no one in the history of bikes ever ran a tilted bike.
Especially all through the 60s or 70s

My point was that if you are hard tailing a bike properly this should be a non issue if your jig is set proper the rails should already be parallel.

And that shit might be a moot point anyway when you get your front end back on and find out that it kicks up in the front now anyway....

LinkBelt
12-24-2010, 9:32 PM
Well the point is a BSA with the motor tilted up in the front because the frame was done wrong looks like shit and the bikes from the 60's and70's with extreme tilt because the front end is to long look like shit and for sure a BSA with a fucked off frame that causes the motor to tilt up in the front and to long of a front end kicking the front of the bike up making the motor almost vertical will look like shit.

All the above is true, but the point was a lot of BSA front loops have been hard tailed and attention was not made to the bottom rails and now the motors tilt up in the front and they look awful. I was just giving the dude a heads up on that fact.

BTW, Billy if a little fat man in a red suit comes by tonight and snatches you up stuffs you in a sack don't be alarmed. I asked for a cock sucker this Christmas. :asshat:

BillySlicks
12-26-2010, 12:12 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/sarahrainey/jasinbsa.jpg

BillySlicks
12-26-2010, 12:22 AM
http://27r.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/BSA-Bobber/bsa-003/770227987_LLDVC-L.jpg

Loffer
12-26-2010, 1:04 AM
Thats second bike really looks good. Bsa motors look to have a bit of tilt to the back , like they not mounted in the same position as Triumph motors. the stance looks great on both those bikes. It depends how much drop of the tail how the fronts gonna line up with the ground obviously.

HumblePie68
12-26-2010, 6:56 AM
They make good trike frames :)

Boylecomm
12-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Love that lift!

doubt
01-14-2011, 9:16 PM
hey linkbelt, wheres your expert opinion on the above frames. you seem so informed. your name calling and santa jokes seem to prove your knowledge of engine position and rake and trail undeniably

LinkBelt
01-14-2011, 9:27 PM
hey linkbelt, wheres your expert opinion on the above frames. you seem so informed. your name calling and santa jokes seem to prove your knowledge of engine position and rake and trail undeniably

Why are you questioning me on something I posted so long ago. My expert opinion is those bikes look OK, Those bikes it's not the frame causing the motor to tilt. What is causing the motor to tilt in those is the front end is a bit long not so much to make the bike look like shit. BTW Who the hell are you Billys fucking cheerleader girlfriend. Why don't you go grab your pom-poms and your little pink dildo and go fuck yourself.

doubt
01-14-2011, 9:50 PM
i was just reading and was irritated by your attitude when you are obviously just regergitating stuff you read on the internet. sorry i offended you so badly. you can insult people all you want its the bad advice that i find annoying, how bout you make one more insulting comment and we let it go after that

LinkBelt
01-14-2011, 10:10 PM
i was just reading and was irritated by your attitude when you are obviously just regergitating stuff you read on the internet. sorry i offended you so badly. you can insult people all you want its the bad advice that i find annoying, how bout you make one more insulting comment and we let it go after that

Just wondering, why you find keeping the bottom frame rails parallel to the ground as bad advice seeing that is the only advise I gave on this thread. And if I learned the on the internet, from a friend or from some gray beard the fact is I learned it. A bit of advice for you to learn is if you fuck with the bull you'll get the horn. Lets not forget you took the first blow at me.

doubt
01-14-2011, 10:15 PM
back on topic, why do the frame rails need to be parrallel to the ground

LinkBelt
01-14-2011, 10:18 PM
back on topic, why do the frame rails need to be parrallel to the ground

OK let me explain my exp with stock BSA front loops and alot of after market hard tails when they are bolted on or welded whichever it causes the front loop to tilt back I've seen it several times which causes the engine to tilt up in the front. If you put the front loop in a jig and make sure the bottom rails stay parallel to the ground keeping the engine compartment level the hard tail can be modified correctly. Some ppl are into that jacked up front but most of them do it with the front end not the frame.

doubt
01-14-2011, 10:42 PM
it is a matter of taste estetically, unless the angle is so extreme it effects gas flow. if you choose that extreme angle i don't see how a custom carb manifold or engine mounts wouldn't solve it. the frame performance will be decided in the neck and rear axle. if it is your taste to have them parallel say so don't be an asshole.

LinkBelt
01-14-2011, 10:48 PM
it is a matter of taste estetically, unless the angle is so extreme it effects gas flow. if you choose that extreme angle i don't see how a custom carb manifold or engine mounts wouldn't solve it. the frame performance will be decided in the neck and rear axle. if it is your taste to have them parallel say so don't be an asshole.

Again you took the first shot at me and besides if it wasn't for assholes like me, hemorrhoids like you wouldn't have anyone to hang out with. you:asshat:

doubt
01-14-2011, 10:52 PM
when you know someone whos bike failed cuz the frame rails weren't parallel to the ground then talk. cuz i got freinds withh beezer chops whos frame rails aren't and their bikes run more than mine. so i trust that more than the internet.

LinkBelt
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
when you know someone whos bike failed cuz the frame rails weren't parallel to the ground then talk. cuz i got freinds withh beezer chops whos frame rails aren't and their bikes run more than mine. so i trust that more than the internet.

God damn dude if you read this whole thread, the thing was the guy was concerned about how it looked. Not at any time did I say it would cause any mechanical failure. Why don't you go through a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. You Bovine cock sucking, swine ass licking reject from the Tijuana donkey show. :kill:

BillySlicks
01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
you should be wary of calling out people taking shots on people.
you were a fucking dick to me on this thread with insults for no fucking reason
claiming to be an expert on shit.

I was a bigger person and let it slide

I've built no less than 4 BSAs and had an hand in that many more.

I appreciate personal taste because we all have our own but to slander me and say bullshit ass insults is crossing the lines and now calling out others for jumping on you is validating youe own small ego

LinkBelt
01-14-2011, 11:12 PM
you should be wary of calling out people taking shots on people.
you were a fucking dick to me on this thread with insults for no fucking reason
claiming to be an expert on shit.

I was a bigger person and let it slide

I've built no less than 4 BSAs and had an hand in that many more.

I appreciate personal taste because we all have our own but to slander me and say bullshit ass insults is crossing the lines and now calling out others for jumping on you is validating youe own small ego

Hey man your sarcastic post started this and then this dude jumps in from no where. I haven't posted in this thread in almost a month so as for letting it go, I did till this fuck face got on his soap box. At no time did I clam to be an expert on BSA or any other bikes. I just gave my .02on the dudes question. Anyway I'm don So you and doubt and Eeyore can go practice yall's.

billdozer
01-15-2011, 2:00 AM
LinkBelt, you are clearly out of line here. Read #3 on the Mission Statement and Posting Guidelines: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6289

You can disagree with anything you like, but there is no reason to call people names or insult members when they have a different opinion. This is your only warning.

OldStfCycle
01-15-2011, 2:30 AM
http://27r.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/BSA-Bobber/bsa-003/770227987_LLDVC-L.jpg

dam that is sweet. I never built a british bike but been dreaming of it lately.

Blackjack
01-15-2011, 5:31 AM
Just for the sake of clarity...

Building ANY bike so it sits, parked up, with the rails level with the ground, is dumb.

You can argue about the aesthetic of whether level or running uphil looks better until your lungs bleed from the screaming, but pretty much everyone agrees, running DOWNHILL looks dumb.

The bike has front suspension, you sit on it that compresses, if it starts out level, it's going to end up pointing downhill when you're riding it.

So any rigid should sit with the rails running uphill when it's parked.

Unless you don't have front suspension I guess....

LinkBelt
01-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Just for the sake of clarity...

Building ANY bike so it sits, parked up, with the rails level with the ground, is dumb.

You can argue about the aesthetic of whether level or running uphil looks better until your lungs bleed from the screaming, but pretty much everyone agrees, running DOWNHILL looks dumb.

The bike has front suspension, you sit on it that compresses, if it starts out level, it's going to end up pointing downhill when you're riding it.

So any rigid should sit with the rails running uphill when it's parked.

Unless you don't have front suspension I guess....

I agree with you here Blackjack, the thing I was getting at here was in my personal opinion I think the lift in the front of the bike should be done in the front suspension not in the frame. Clearly some ppl don't agree with this but you know I'll keep building em my way and they can do there thing.