PDA

View Full Version : Did i really need another?. YES I DID.

Blacktopbandit
12-20-2010, 5:53 PM
I just couldn't help myself when i saw this come up on Kijiji. Its a '69 TR6R. Its been the way it is for many a years and hasn't been touched for almost as many. It was purchased from an estate sale about 8 years ago where it sat for many years. The fella that bought it had a few other projects on the go and never got around to this one.

All he did with it is figure out why the previous owner never got it running...crossed ignition wires.
I haven't taken the motor apart but a look down the cylinders shows fresh honing, suggesting de-coke, rings and paint(blue), at least. May have been completely rebuilt, he just didn't know. Engine is complete and assembled. Front half of frame is original and uncut though there is a forward control mount welded to it. (could be cut/ground off) Rear frame is a bolt on rigid(original rear frame and swing arm mounts intact). Motor mounts are original INCLUDING original top engine stays. Fenders are original and in fair shape. Tail lamp assembly is original as is most of the front end, forks appear to be about 4" over stock with billet aluminum tweak bar. Hand controls are original or damn close. Wheels are original, hubs, spokes and rims. Foot controls are missing as are the pegs. Brakes are all there but I haven't seen the linings. Rear brake rod is missing. Oil tank is a chrome plated steel octagon. Mity Max power control unit. Boyer-Bransden MKIII digital ignition has been fitted. New high output ignition coil. Drag pipes. Seat and sissy bar.

I bought this as a quick clean/flip to fund my other builds (68 Daytona restoration & 71 Tiger Bobber) but after sitting on it i think it may just be a keeper. Change up the bars, bob those fenders, 21" front and springer or girder.

Now the hard part......... hiding it from the missus. Fuck it. "babe its for us...look at that seat, we can ride together" Solved

LinkBelt
12-20-2010, 6:51 PM
Well, I must tell you blacktop you suck. For someone who can't even weld you got so many cool projects. You should get in on the CC chop off with one of those.

GreaserMike
12-20-2010, 7:00 PM
Did you need another? Yes....because if you didn't purchase it, somebody else would have. Or even worse, it would have remained neglected until a point where it just couldn't be saved anymore.

Congrats.

Blacktopbandit
12-20-2010, 7:18 PM
You know it. I think the fella that sold it to me was sad to see it go but happy that it was going to someone that was actually going to do something with it. He had 2 others a 72 Bonni and a 69 roller that was his first bike almost 30yrs ago. Wouldn't part with it. I wasn't really into the "chopper" thing but the more i see the more i love them. Vintage chops only, the new stuff isnt for me. But the stuff from the 60's and 70's is sweet ass sweet. I cant wait to get this machine up and running.

OlSkewlTrump
12-20-2010, 8:16 PM
sweet bike, thats exactly how im painting my head and jug. ford engine block blue high heat paint. Blacks better for dispersing heat but you NEVER see blue on a bikes engine.

Blacktopbandit
12-26-2010, 5:40 PM
So the more i look at it and mess around the more I'm deciding to keep it. I pulled a few things off to start getting it cleaned up. Tank is a mess. Looks like the petcock was glued in place. Gonna take some work. The seat is made by Cycle Seats in Cali from what i can tell.

Blacktopbandit
12-26-2010, 5:48 PM
The battery box is too tight and it was close to impossible to get the battery out. It has a Mity Max power unit with a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition and some sort of updated coil. I've never seen this sort of set up so I've got some research to do.......... Just had a look and looks simple enough.

Blacktopbandit
02-28-2011, 5:59 PM
Got a little further ahead.

Stripped it all down. Have a long springer front end so i'm using an old frame i have that has already been raked. Adding the bolton rear end it came with and the wheel. Have a 21 up front. Tank, rear fender, oil bag and head light are at the painters having him work his magic.

I'll have pic's soon.

Link you urged me on.

LinkBelt
02-28-2011, 6:07 PM
Yeah I feel good about that. I can't wait on pics of the rolling chassie or paint I sure it'll come out great. I got a few parts in the mail today and am actually going to move a little backwards on my build. I'm waiting on my videos from Lowbrow but I think I'm going to tear the motor back down and do a few more upgrades to the internals that I want to do. Really I'm just a bone head and should have ordered the vids before I ever took this project on. Anyway I'm glad everyone is getting back on there builds we should all hope that our projects come out as good looking as shoveleds. Anyway I'm hoping to post progress pics next week or regress pics. LOL

Blacktopbandit
03-01-2011, 9:31 AM
I got His DVD's and they are great. I quality of the image on mine is a bit rough and the sound is really low for the engine rebuild one, but i just turn it right up and its good. Got me through the tear down portion anyway. Just a suggestion to keep things moving is have all the specific tools available. Save time waiting on them or making them as i did.

For the 2 sprockets on the primary side i just got a steering wheel puller from Canadian Tire ($6)
For the Main shaft nut i just welded a handle on a 1 11/16th deep socket ($6)

I had some of the other tools already.

Good luck

Blacktopbandit
03-01-2011, 5:18 PM
Well its still progress.

Took the rear bolt on from the original chopper and put it on a raked frame i had laying around. Attached a 10-12+ springer and thats about it so far. Got some new hardware for the old springer.

The front is still about 1-2" off rails being parallel but i dont think it looks tooo bad.

mrjames06
03-01-2011, 5:39 PM
In my opinion, you have room for at least one more scooter in that garage.....hell put that one in you kitchen and make it a family build...good luck with it...

Blacktopbandit
03-01-2011, 5:49 PM
Mate, these are in the basement. Flooded last year and cant afford to finish it so i made it into a man cave so i can work on them over the freezing winter.

The garage
and the shed

too many. (so says the ol'lady)

Blacktopbandit
04-28-2011, 9:25 PM
Finally got my gear back from the painter and am well happy with the end result. Dropped the parts off, told him what colors i wanted and let him have at er' Now if i can pull my finger out and get the rest of the bike together.

BigJimmyW13
04-28-2011, 9:56 PM
Finally got my gear back from the painter and am well happy with the end result. Dropped the parts off, told him what colors i wanted and let him have at er' Now if i can pull my finger out and get the rest of the bike together.

That's pretty sweet man.