PDA

View Full Version : gs850 trouble

mummyarms
12-19-2010, 5:27 PM
i have my carbs all put together and back on the bike. its puttering when i try to start it. 3 out of 4 plugs are firing, the carbs are getting gas. any suggestions? my dad suggested cleaning the points might be the problem since the bike sat for so long. can anyone make any other possible suggestions for what could be a potential issue

boogerboy72
12-19-2010, 6:39 PM
not trying to run you off from this site, but the gsrecources might offer better help,

motorlou
12-19-2010, 7:29 PM
why where the carbs off in the first place? what probs did the bike have before the carbs came off. there is a logical order for everything. if the carbs where the prob before you took them off then i would focus on that before venturing into the sparkplugs and other systems.

mummyarms
12-19-2010, 7:37 PM
i just bought the bike . previous owner said it never ran while he had it so it had to of sat at least a few years. i took the carbs off so that i could clean them. they werent completely rebuilt i just replaced some small things. i just wanted to clean everything before i tried to get it started and have shit running through it.

gs650
12-19-2010, 7:57 PM
you have to completely take the carbs apart and soak each one in carb dipp for a few days. Then buy a new O ring kit and put them back together. Also the O rings where the intake manifolds bolt to the head are probly leaking. The valves also may need to be adjusted these bikes have a problem with cold starts and tight valves. Do the carbs first and go from there and make sure it has a good battery they need to crank fast.

motorlou
12-19-2010, 9:21 PM
in my humble opinion, the main problem with bikes that have sat a long time would be plugged jets. take the carbs off/apart including the jets and soak them like gs650 said. blow all the passages and jets out with compressed air, visually make sure the jets are cleared. reassemble and try again. make sure you are getting spark at all the plugs, if not then prolly the wires or the plug ends are bad. i wouldn't mess with the points just yet besides just cleaning the contacts. also i have found many bikes that have sat for along time, the timing advancer units get stuck, make sure to look at that and see that they move freely and go back to they're oringinal position by them self. if not them lube them up until they do(this won't prevent the bike from turning on but you won't be able to rev it up past low rpm). if you have spark and gas that is the bare basics.

i wouldn't buy rubber gaskets and all that till you got those things done

turbonate
12-20-2010, 8:34 AM
x2 on checking valve clearance. i have fixed several bad running and no running jap bikes that way. seems most people don't know you have to adjust them and let them get too tight resulting in burnt valves. another thing is cleaning the carbs, just because they look clean don't mean they are, the pilot circuits are a pain in the ass to get all the way clean a lot of the time. compressed air and carb dip are your best friends.