PDA

View Full Version : need cam gear puller, just to borrow for a night

OlSkewlTrump
12-18-2010, 5:46 PM
tearin down my 650 lumpy trumpy and ran into the cam gear puller problem. tried everything made little progress. would like to borrow a gear puller for this problem and would pay for shipping and a six pack of your choice. :cheersmate:please let me know if you can help me out. Dont feel the need to purchase one, beings ill only end up using it once more than likely. thanks guys

CMA406
12-18-2010, 6:48 PM
you should feel the need, you need it to install the cams too. buy it then sell it, and youll prolly lose 10 bucks max.

OlSkewlTrump
12-19-2010, 11:25 AM
well shit if someone has it, Ill pay for it, then use and ship it back to them and have my deniros returned, and still pay for a six pack.

TRUMPNUT
12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
If it is a eary styyle then you can use your firk tube and a slid hammer . If it is a late one then just use a small screw in stle puller . Also you don't need to remove you cams to do a basic rebiuld you can split your cases just fine with the cams inplace it is just a bit combersome to line up the intake cam and breather plate dogs while putting the cases back together .

OlSkewlTrump
12-20-2010, 2:25 AM
No shit? wow. i proabably should just to check bushings and etc. sounds like putting the cases wit them in could be harmfull t them. Might have to try it though. whatd ya say about the later? mines a 72. Screw in to what? the gear is solid. no wait, in the middle theres a threaded hole for the ignition. Why didnt i think of that? wtf..ill give her a try. thanks!

Riddles
12-20-2010, 9:41 AM
If you down that far and are spliting cases I would go the extra and do your sludge trap as well the puller instaler isnt much about $80 around here, buy the time you ship back and forth you could probally just have bought one.

Cheers

TRUMPNUT
12-20-2010, 11:39 AM
It doesn't really hurt the bushings it just a pain to line up the breather plate but if your motor is a 72 then you don't even have a breather plate to worry about since your motor breaths through the primary .
Your gears for a 72 should have 2 1/4-20 or 14/26 holes in it that you two short bolts and like a small steering wheel puller . But maybe sombody installed early ones on your motor

image1
12-20-2010, 2:23 PM
Your gears for a 72 should have 2 1/4-20 or 14/26 holes in it that you two short bolts and like a small steering wheel puller .

bingo... you don't even need the Triumph specific tool, surely your motor guru has one...

OlSkewlTrump
12-20-2010, 8:32 PM
well he doesnt have one. hes a car guy. not a triumph anything. he does work on bikes for shops, like heads and hones or bores jugs etc.

My cam gears a 1 1/4 20. extra fine thread for that size. making my own now, i have a boring block and thread tool so I need a 1 1/4 peice of pipe and then throw the threads in boom done 80 dollar service tool complete. we thought about grinding down a 3 jaw so it would get by the tight clearences, but then decided if we were going to go that far and no one on heres got one we can borrow , shit weel just make are own. LATHES SAVE LIVES! fuck maybe ill amke five of them and sell them for half price. lol.

also my cam gear is solid, no holes no racing fun shit, no were to screw anything in toother than the cam it self. Now i will take those gears to school and set them on the cnc mill and have them drilled all rad. same with the intermidiate. it will amke them a litle light which aint going to matter unless your at bonneville doing a 130 , but it will look cool in the photo documentation of the rebuild and for bragging rights. worth the extra few hours in the shop all day.

this engine is cool. every part has a storie. the rods are alluminum, so some one was into it at one point and going in the right direction. my lifters look a little wore. my cams must be as well. i might replace with some mga cycle cams. find something for good mid range. there a little spendy though.

my valve seats looked a little suken but the valves were new. proabably from running shitty gas. turns out that triumph valve springs and pontiac valve springs are similar. they are also the same diamiter as small block chevy, just shorter.

going to do a 5 angle valve job. hopefully i dont have to get new valves that are oversized cause they aint cheap from kibblewhite. going to coat the internals of the head with thermal rejection coatings. also port and polish extensivly. nice to have a flow bench but my guru said he aint used it in tweenty years. doesnt need to, just knows what needs to be done. hes a cool old fart. just sold me a 1967 impala for 800 to get me through winter. Solid car everything works great, just has a little rust in the wheel wells. said it was taking up space. girls have been checkin me out at school more too now. women are very easily presuaded by material things. lol.

thanks guys for your advice.

image1
12-21-2010, 9:22 AM
this engine is cool. every part has a storie. the rods are alluminum, so some one was into it at one point and going in the right direction

LOL, you really need do some learing....ALL unit triumphs had AL rods from the factory.

also my cam gear is solid, no holes no racing fun shit,

if it is indeed a 72, the cam wheels have two threaded holes used to remove the gears, we weren't talking about lightening holes. No need for the specialized tool that the earlier models required.

my valve seats looked a little suken but the valves were new. proabably from running shitty gas.

prolly from being OG, and needing replaced...

nice to have a flow bench but my guru said he aint used it in tweenty years. doesnt need to, just knows what needs to be done.

hes a car guy. not a triumph anything.

lol.

CMA406
12-21-2010, 9:20 PM
LOL, this shit just keeps gettin better....

LinkBelt
12-22-2010, 4:42 PM
You know I am pretty good with words and pretty witty to boot. Usually I got something to say about every thing but this ignorance leaves me speechless.

TRUMPNUT
12-22-2010, 9:19 PM
I guess I should post a Sorry about turning into a dick but I do head work and lots of it . Mostly Jap but I mess with Triumphs on the side so when sombody tells me how they are going to do porting and angle valve jobs it just sets me off since at least once every couple weeks I have to fix a head were sombody pocketed valves or ground the wrong parts of the port and so on and most of the time when they drop it off they act like they did it a favor . And I just had to fix a a triumph were a guy try to cut in a 15 deg and pocket the combustion chamber .
Why don't guys just do the simple stuff like match the piston wieghts , set the ring gaps proper , set the spring hieghts . make sure the cam fallower blocks are in straight by deg. in each cam lobe that kind of stuff that makes it more reliable .

LinkBelt
12-22-2010, 9:25 PM
I guess I should post a Sorry about turning into a dick but I do head work and lots of it . Mostly Jap but I mess with Triumphs on the side so when sombody tells me how they are going to do porting and angle valve jobs it just sets me off since at least once every couple weeks I have to fix a head were sombody pocketed valves or ground the wrong parts of the port and so on and most of the time when they drop it off they act like they did it a favor . And I just had to fix a a triumph were a guy try to cut in a 15 deg and pocket the combustion chamber .
Why don't guys just do the simple stuff like match the piston wieghts , set the ring gaps proper , set the spring hieghts . make sure the cam fallower blocks are in straight by deg. in each cam lobe that kind of stuff that makes it more reliable .

Fuck that TRUMPNUT, sometimes ppl just need to hear the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts but buy god if anyone has ever told me the truth it made me a better person in the end.

KT
12-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Intelligence comes from study and dedicated learning , wisdom only comes with age and experiance and sometimes people never do get wise....

I understand the OP is in school teachers filling his head with book facts, It also sounds like we have a old timer that thinks cause he knows cars and diesel engines he can do anything ...just cause your a chevy licensed mechanic does'nt mean you know ferrais..knowledge without wisdom can be dangerous ...

With that said if you can pull off something no one else ever has in a 103 years of design so be it that is how new things come around people use to think the world was flat till someone proved it wasn't .... I have been around Triumphs since I was 5 which is 30 years and have been actually turning a wrench on them for the last 6 or 7 years ... I will be the first one to say I am just getting started in understanding these creatures..

Seriously here though this is a young guy with big eyes and a small stomach all the best wishes to 'em but some of this stuff sounds off or just way off on how a Triumph works ..

Best luck and lets see some of this machine work nuff talking put up ;):)