PDA

View Full Version : whats my shit worth?

steffan
12-16-2010, 2:33 PM
i decided to put my starfire up for sale on craigslist and the very next morning i had a collector call me and whats to buy everything in my garage. hes coming from a whole state away to come see my stuff and he said hes bringing a trailer and alot of cash. i want to know what you all think my stuff is worth so i dont get hosed.

they are all projects and i didnt really want to sell it all but the money can get me alot farther along in one project than multible bikes can.
this is what ive got:

1968 bsa c25 starfire. not running. broken front motor mount. faily complete but im sure it needs a total going through. no title only bill of sale.

1966 bsa b44 victor 441. just rebuilt before i got it but i dont know or think they went through the bottom end. i do know it has a fresh bore and piston. needs exhaust valve. just added a new coil and sparx modual. pretty damn clean and complete. no title.

1955 6t 650 trump motor and mismatched trans. turns over but the pistons are loose in the cylinders.

2 bultaco sherpa t 350s. one complete and running but can use a freshening. rideable and cool but like all old bikes need some work. the second bike is a complete bike (basket case) that someone started to rob parts off of to keep the other one going. both 1976-1977ish.

what do yall think? my guess if hes coming from so far away and says he has cash he cant try to screw me too bad since hell have a long trip home empty handed.

ditto
12-16-2010, 3:50 PM
ive found that with craigslist, if its too good to be true, it aint true

steffan
12-16-2010, 4:14 PM
no I posted MY shit on craigslist. this guy is interested.

actually all i posted on craigs list was the starfire and the tacos

KT
12-16-2010, 4:44 PM
Low ball I'd say that motor and tranny is atleast $750 and that's lowball...I mean yea you can find deals better but those pre units are harder and harder to come by complete ...I have sold a 4 speed tranny for $300 by itself on ebay ...prices change though from one side of the country to the other ...the beezers I can't help with would'nt even know where to start on those ...Last beezer I bought was a complete 69 lightning I got for $150 ...I'd start at $4500 for everything and let it work it's way down from there...

ditto
12-16-2010, 4:54 PM
im still betting his 'shipping representative' is sent to collect all and he will pay as cashier check to you both youre kind offering fair price along with the shipping costs for you to advance to said shipping guy - hopefully im wrong

Any craigslist sale Ive made that wasnt a scam the fricken people want to pay $.04 on the dollar.

good luck!

steffan
12-16-2010, 5:33 PM
he coming himself with a trailer and CASH

KT
12-16-2010, 6:53 PM
Just keep in your mind you can always lower the price but raising it is not as easy ...Sometimes you get that person that has more dollars then cents(sense) GL man ...I'd be apprehensive like ditto said CL sales and buys are sketchy sometimes but I have done some good deals too ...

steffan
12-16-2010, 7:15 PM
theres a local britbike guru here, and brit bikes is all he does. hes a cool cat and a good sorce for tech info and parts. the guy whos coming to buy my stuff hires this guy to go up to his place for a couple weeks at a time to fix up stuff he has bought. now i dont know this guy(buyer) personally but know of him through the brit bike guru so its not like im dealing with some overseas scamer.

i just want your guys opinions on what this stuff if worth so he doesnt take me to the cleaners. i know what i payed for all this stuff and i got most of it for a screaming deal. i just dont want to give it all away. especially when i wasnt planning on selling 2/3's of it.

thank for all your opinions so far. keep them coming.

kllrjo
12-17-2010, 8:25 AM
well,since ya asked..........no titles certainly lowers the total,,,,,no pics of the sherpas, so its hard to say about value....the starfire doesnt bring a lot in todays market, but the 441 could bring a nice chunk-o-ching[for a no title bike], that 6t is a nice pc to have, if this guy collects, then he probably has a home for that[i know i do!] final tally? this is where i`d start:
starfire=$1000 [pretty complete unit from the pics,nice for a collection]
441 =$1500 [who doesnt want a brit 4 stroke single dirtbike? popular bike in the day]
sherpas=$1500 [for both,the earlier ones fetch more, baskets dont bring much unless rare]
6t & tranny= $800 [pre-units tend to sell themselves]
total $4800 pretty much inline w/KT`s estimate HELL, make it 5 grand to start!!!!!!1

Tridude67
12-18-2010, 7:54 PM
Sounds like a collectors rep is coming out to you. I would price things according to the buyers demeanor. If he offers a price, tell him you will think about it and move on to the next item. Let HIM stew over things. He lowballs you...you highball him...you both find a happy medium in the bargaining process. Don't be a pushover and listeen to him say how he found the same exact bike for sale lower. Tell him he should have picked it up for the lower price and stand your ground(politely)

TRUMPNUT
12-19-2010, 12:45 AM
That star fire looks more like a Barracuda . Does it have a BC25 vin number ? If so it is worth a bit to a racer since the Barracuda had a factory race options in the motor .
Is the B44 a VS ? Does it say VS on the vin ? Is it a round barrel or square since 66 was the year they changed if it is a round barrel running is about $1,200 to 1,500 and squares are $750 to $1,200 around here since they suck to ride . If it was a B50MX then it would be like $1,500 to $2,000 not running
Preunit motor like everybody says $800 to 1000 with trany
Bultaco's are what ever around here restored ones can go for a bit but fixer uppers are common .

kllrjo
12-22-2010, 10:46 AM
give us a shout back, and lettuce know what this guy was offering ! [and where] always interested in the market values of these things[as i have qiute a few meself]

steffan
12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
he came buy and didnt want to pay anything for any of it. he wanted the starfire c25 for $400, both bultacos for $400 together. the victor for $500 and the preunit and trans for $500 together.

he was a buyer and seller so he wanted it all cheap so he can turn it around for what i wanted to sell it for.

i let him take the 2 butacos for $450 since i only had $100 into both. I used the money to get a new miller tig 165.

im still selling the preunit. but i think ill keep the starfire.

thanks for all the info everyone.

oh i dont see any vc in the victor numbers just b44 and the serial number.

KT
12-22-2010, 3:38 PM
I'd ebay that pre unit honestly ...Probably see $250-300 out of the tranny and $500-$800 for the engine ...Pack them up in a plastic bin with foam or whatever for padding and ship them that way ...

Gonzo151p
12-22-2010, 3:40 PM
good move on your sale. when it comes to stuff like that alot of people that are into the resale bizz like that guy seem to have the same outlook "what your selling is worthless until i get it" ive ran into buyers like that. glad you stood your ground and got a profit off the stuff you did sell.:clap for you:

blackchop
12-23-2010, 2:32 PM
shit is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it and what you are willing to accept for it.

steffan
12-23-2010, 2:37 PM
i really appreciate all your help. i just put the preunit and tran in the classifieds. im hoping to use that money to get a decent lathe to help out with the fab work im trying to get into.

thanks again.

blackchop
12-23-2010, 2:42 PM
what kind of lathe you looking for?

steffan
12-23-2010, 2:56 PM
a metal lathe. i dont think i can afford one as big as i want but big enough to make bushings and stuff for most motorcycle fab.

blackchop
12-23-2010, 5:08 PM
well i sure can ask if theres one avail here.
i know for a fact there are a ton of machinist tools plus the box avail- trying to sell off for alot less than its all worth.