PDA

View Full Version : TR6C chain question

KIII
12-13-2010, 1:27 AM
My 68 TR6C is drenching my chain with oil. The bike was sitting for 8+ years.Got her running and she runs strong. First ride she vomited oil in garage and halfway down my street. She quit doing that and now she just leaks a little. But now my chain is constantly soaked with oil. Isnt there a vent spike up there that needs to routed? Or is this normal?

Riddles
12-13-2010, 7:30 AM
I have found that problem alot on motors I pick up over the years. Most times its the trans seal but with the amount of oil your talking about makes me think its more then one seal.Also After they sit long the motors tend to have oil leak into the bottom end and at first start up it will push it past seals. Check the smell there is a differance between Gear oil and oil it takes almost no gear oil to make a mess when its being slung buy the chain. Wash down the bike (chain and sproket area ) real good and leane it up on the right side to park it for a few hours then to the stand side I would be willing to bet you have a puddle on the stand side (make sure your trans is topped up)

Cheers

CRFyou
12-13-2010, 8:23 AM
My 68 TR6C is drenching my chain with oil. The bike was sitting for 8+ years.Got her running and she runs strong. First ride she vomited oil in garage and halfway down my street. She quit doing that and now she just leaks a little. But now my chain is constantly soaked with oil. Isnt there a vent spike up there that needs to routed? Or is this normal?

you need to get your specific on.

is it oil, or tranny fluid?

your crank case breather needs a hose to route up a little bit. 2 cylinders traveling at the same time breathes really heavy.

if it's tranny fluid, there's a seal behind the counter shaft sprocket that could need replacing...

IF you recently filled your tranny, you most likely over filled it. and your bike will self correct the fluid level by leaking out that countershaft sprocket seal. this will happen for weeks until it gets down to a normal level.

other than those obvious things, it will be helpful if you can find the source and holler back.

Torch
12-13-2010, 10:16 AM
it may be the engine was sumped with oil, this happens when the oil drains through the oil pump check valve and ends filling up the crank case with oil. then when you fire it up it all comes out the breather tube and all over the chain.
check to see if there is more oil in the oil tank than when you last looked at it.
If it keeps happening then you need to remove your oil pump and clean and re-seat the check valves.

Grashopr
12-13-2010, 10:24 AM
My 65 TR6 did this when I started it for the first time after sitting for a decade. The bottom end was sumping.. needed the checkball and seat cleaned, after that, it didn't have any problems at all. I also thought it was a seal on the back side of the primary, but it was coming out of the vent hole from the crankcase.

KIII
12-13-2010, 4:45 PM
I do believe it wet sumped, because it hasnt coughed up since its first run. My oil level has remained even (2/3 full) . I'll check to see whether its motor or gear oil. I'll do the park n lean idea. I'll attach a breather hose. I'll get back with the results. Thnx.