PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Q's for the XSgods

65Econolinekid
12-11-2010, 4:03 PM
Alright, Sat down and assesed my wiring on my 82 XS 650 Heritage Special, was gunna cop out and buy the quick wiring crap from low brow or TCbros BUT I can't seem to fig out my CDI, the F*ckin thing ran before I tore her apart, I have the wiring harness full in tact as I took it off the bike with everything including coils and shit still together. I Have wiring Diagrams for numerous models but can't quite figure this out. I HAVE NO CDI!?!?!?!?:banghead: I plan on doing the banshee swap out anyways and is it also my understanding that the cdi goes bye bye when doing the swap!? But seriously WTF with the no CDI box, I chased wires diwn left and right with color codes,etc and my harness and BLAH. Any advice would be much appreciated! :killerjob:

This would include a bare minimum wiring schematic or anything, Should I just star from scratch and use what I need, or slowlyly tear my way through this jumble of shit and clip here and or there?

richfrazier
12-11-2010, 4:44 PM
not sure if it would help but i just got easy wiring diagrams off of ebay.if you want i can e-mail them to you!

Scary
12-11-2010, 9:04 PM
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

try one of these last one is an 81 simplified

jamesgs4
12-11-2010, 11:57 PM
The ignition box is bolted to the bottom of the battery box. Did you toss it out? Also, that year only had 1 coil, so maybe it was swapped over to a points setup, pull the round chrome covers and check under them for points.

Punkskalar
12-12-2010, 4:32 PM
My suggestion:

Ditch that TCI crap and go pamcopete for your ignition. 3 wires, and you are up and running. Same for the charging system. You'll spend more time making that stock stuff work, wiring it up, and then removing it all when it fails than you would if you did the Pamcopete and Banshee stuff. Less wires, less frustration, less crap to hide or mount...

`

65Econolinekid
12-13-2010, 8:50 AM
She's def got points! I had to set them to get her runnin. and to you punkskalar I guess the question is, make a new wiring harness from scratch or improvise off the old one?

Thanks guys

Punkskalar
12-13-2010, 10:27 AM
She's def got points! I had to set them to get her runnin. and to you punkskalar I guess the question is, make a new wiring harness from scratch or improvise off the old one?

Thanks guys

I ditch all of the stock stuff. Its over 30 years old usually. I make my own harnesses, run it all inside the frame, and use aftermarket switches for the headlights, brakes, key, etc...

philbey
12-13-2010, 9:18 PM
Hugh, do you use the high output Pamco kit or just the normal one? Trying to work out if it's worth the extra 60 bucks.

Punkskalar
12-13-2010, 9:45 PM
Hugh, do you use the high output Pamco kit or just the normal one? Trying to work out if it's worth the extra 60 bucks.

Most all the bikes I'im working on just have the basic kit. Rephased bikes get the High Output stuff, but I usually use aftermarket Harley coils on those.

Pete (pamcopete) and I talked the other day, and if you are going to run Kick Only with the Banshee setup, he recommends the High Output coils for a quicker startup.

philbey
12-15-2010, 5:40 PM
Pete (pamcopete) and I talked the other day, and if you are going to run Kick Only with the Banshee setup, he recommends the High Output coils for a quicker startup.

Sweet, just the sort of answer I was looking for.

MrBillohnooo
12-18-2010, 8:44 AM
I run the high output on mine with a permanant magnet alternator/small.8 amp hour battery. 1st kick start usually, if I have to kick it more than 4 times something is wrong. which hasnt happened yet! I wired my bike from scratch too.