PDA

View Full Version : CM 400T honda info needed

steffan
12-11-2010, 11:03 AM
i picked up an 80 cm 400 honda for $10. the tank, fenders, and some of the electronic are missing off of it but the motor turns over and doesnt appear to be siezed. for $10 i couldnt say no.

i have a rigid frame for a cb 750 that i was toying with the idea of putting this 400 into.

does anyone have any info of the wiring diagram or any good links for these things?

this motor os an electric start only model. i saw that they had a kick start option.

does anyone know how hard it would be to make this one a kick start?

im just after some info to even see if this is something i want to play with.
thanks in advance.

http://zombieperformance.com/
http://zombieperformance.blogspot.com/

ibuiltmine
12-11-2010, 11:18 AM
i picked up an 80 cm 400 honda for $10. the tank, fenders, and some of the electronic are missing off of it but the motor turns over and doesnt appear to be siezed. for $10 i couldnt say no.

i have a rigid frame for a cb 750 that i was toying with the idea of putting this 400 into.

does anyone have any info of the wiring diagram or any good links for these things?

this motor os an electric start only model. i saw that they had a kick start option.

does anyone know how hard it would be to make this one a kick start?

im just after some info to even see if this is something i want to play with.
thanks in advance.

http://zombieperformance.com/
http://zombieperformance.blogspot.com/

Does the 400 have any wiring on the motor? Like from under the points cover? Thats pretty much all you need. The rest is easy to figure out. There should be a 5 wire connector coming out of the motor and also a 3 wire connector. They usually come out of about the same spot, on the side opposite of the clutch, or sometimes just around the corner behind the cylinders.
If you have those in good shape then you can easily build the rest of the harness for a chopper.

http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/CM400E.jpg

steffan
12-11-2010, 12:33 PM
yeah i have the motor wiring. all im really concerned with is the ignition suffs. i just need to identify it all. theres a buch going to the cdi modual that i dont have and was wanting to know how that cdi is wired to see if i need to get another cdi or can make something else work. something simpler (smaller, cleaner) would be nice.

ibuiltmine
12-11-2010, 1:40 PM
I don'tknow how the hell it happened, butI somehow got decent at wiring. Maybe it was figuring out the butt spliced messes of 30 year old Liebherr and Komatsu haul trucks that have been patched on the run for more then 2 decades?
Plus I like to mess with modern jap bikes,and by default you just have to power through those wire harnesses.
I got my 454 wire harness (which looks almost identical to this 400) down to just the cdi, the wires coming out of the motor, and then one hot wire going to the battery, and from there running thorugh an ignition to run everything else. I hid pretty much ALL of the wires.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs284.snc3/27863_10150193546560577_599270576_12580729_3807075 _n.jpg

here is what I started with.I carefully removed the whole thing and jsut started over.

If you confirm for me that the pic i put up is the correct one for your bike and give me untill later this evening, Ill draw you up a diagram that will help you out.

steffan
12-11-2010, 1:59 PM
with what little i have its hard to tell if its the same or not. if i could just find out wich wire is wich coming out of the motor and what wire goes to what on the cdi and to the coil i can make up the rest.

is there a way to do up an easy ignition without the cdi or am i going to have to find one?

steffan
12-11-2010, 2:14 PM
ok im dumb! the cdi box is there. i just need to know what wires need to have power to what to have spark. because i have none.

ibuiltmine
12-11-2010, 2:15 PM
with what little i have its hard to tell if its the same or not. if i could just find out wich wire is wich coming out of the motor and what wire goes to what on the cdi and to the coil i can make up the rest.

is there a way to do up an easy ignition without the cdi or am i going to have to find one?

no, you have to have the cdi and the reg/rec at a bare minimum.

steffan
12-11-2010, 3:30 PM
its the rectifier, regulator that i dont have. makes sence that i dont have spark when i dont have the regulator to send juice to it.

can you tell i havnt really looked at or put much thought behind this bike yet? duhhhhhhhhh

steffan
12-11-2010, 3:35 PM
by the way, thanks for the info so far. this diagram will get me to where i need to be. ill have to find a regulator first before i can move on. if you or anyone else had one ill be in the market for one. dont want anything fancy. i may just try to see if i can make a briggs and stratton one work. i dont know about the alternator having three legs will be an issue. im guessing the alt isnt grounded.

ibuiltmine
12-11-2010, 4:32 PM
The alternator is a whole diferent world then a generator. I think a briggs one is for a generator? The one thats under the flywheel? Those kind are more of a resister for dc voltage. The alternator puts out like 50 or 60v AC and the rectifier's diodes convert that into dc voltage. Looking at that diagram I would say there are multiple power outputs out of the alternator. Im getting one goies to the headlight,and the headlight willbe on if the motor is running, and the other lead will go to charge the battery,and every other powered component will run off a switched fused post off the battery.

With mine, I ran the hot to charge the battery, then built my wire harness off of the battery. I like to be able to control whats on and whats not. Plus with my lipo battery I needed as much charging amps as possible to charge the battery.

motorlou
12-11-2010, 5:18 PM
here is a simplified wiring diagram, i did one recently. those bikes don't need a battery to run but you would need on for running lights and the starter. i think you can put a kickstarter on it but you would need to find a cover from an earlier model and also the kicker gear on the inside. here's a pic of mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/motolou/cb400/DSCF1164.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/motolou/cb400/48AB05840001E9F1000043C122007343640.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/motolou/cb400/gallery_1550_32_3772.jpg

steffan
12-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. the wiring diagrams are going to be a huge help and the pic is a bit of inspiration to jump into this project. I knew It could be cool but I was on the fence to start into it yet. Ill keep you all posted as this project progress'.

blackedoutiron
12-14-2010, 8:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. the wiring diagrams are going to be a huge help and the pic is a bit of inspiration to jump into this project. I knew It could be cool but I was on the fence to start into it yet. Ill keep you all posted as this project progress'.

I have the regulator/rectifier off my 78 CB400A Hawk Hondamatic. I believe they used the same one for many years...let me know if you still need one.

steffan
12-15-2010, 5:38 PM
so wich wires go the cdi from the ignition switch? i have all the wiring coming out the motor and going to the cdi and then to the coils. the only thing i dont have is the rest of the harness to the ignition switch. i think its that circuit thats causing my "no spark"

motorlou
12-15-2010, 7:06 PM
hey steffan, i don't know how much you know about your bike so i want to explain a couple of things before hand. please excuse me if you already know these things. your bikes charging system is a permanant magnet type of system like you have on a lawn mower or like the popular xs650 charging system conversion where you replace the stator with one from a banshee. your system doesn't require a battery to operate. if you took a battery and connected it straight to the starter your bike would fire right up. you do need a battery to run your lights because the charging system in your bike alone is not enough to run them and the engine. if you put a kickstarter on your bike and not run headlights you can get away with not using a battery. that being said, there is a wire coming out if your cdi or the stator (don't remember which one exactly, think it's black with white stripe?) you use that wire to ground out the system (just touch it to the frame) and that shuts the bike down. i ran one of those push button kill switches like you see on lawnmowers to shut mine down. the wires from the stator should plug into the cdi (unless you are missing the plug) and there is another plug (3 wires?) that plugs into your regulator/rectifier. any wires that you need for your lights or starter will come from the battery.

motorlou
12-15-2010, 7:08 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!! i forgot i have a cb400 sitting in the back of my garage! if you need anymore help with the wiring i would be glad to take pics for you. the wiring on these bikes are so basic it's ridicoulas

steffan
12-16-2010, 10:34 AM
i dont really know anything about this bike. i understand how most ignitions work and most motorcycle electrical but an new to this bike or 80's jap bikes anyway.

that answers alot of questions i have, i didnt know if there was other wiring going from the battery to the ignition some how. its kind of hard to figure out things when alot of it is completly missing. since i have the complete ignition harness ill have to start diagnosing the parts i do have to see why i dont have spark.

thanks again everyone.

steffan
12-16-2010, 3:36 PM
went out there and unplugged that little black and white wire and got spark. i filled the carb bowls with gas and she fired right off. caughed acouple time and smoothed right out. sweet! my $10 is looking well spent. thanks everyone. now i think i have something solid to work with and start choppin on.

motorlou
12-16-2010, 7:27 PM
sweet dude! now hurry up cause my next project is a cb400 and i don't want to lap you! ha ha ha. jk jk jk

steffan
12-16-2010, 7:37 PM
i dont want to deal with the original frame and not having a title so im going to stick it into a cb750 rigid frame i have. i was going to stick a bultaco motor in it but i think that motor is going to get sold. plus the front end is already honda so it seem like a natural fit. knock out some motor mounts and WHAM! ill keep yall posted on how it comes along.

i wish ine was a cb400. sniff sniff