PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a little syle advice for my exhaust.

djturnz
12-07-2010, 2:12 PM
I am looking for some style advice I guess. I am getting rid of the mufflers I have and going for something similar in shape to this, one on each side.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31qakpZmAcL.jpg

This is a close enough mock up of what my bike will be, except to add my sissy bar.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/42441fb4.jpg

My question is, should I bolt the mufflers right to the header and keep them short, end them at the rear axle (give or take) or extend them past the axle so they sort of end flush with the back of the tire?

If I went with the longer length, I could either extend the pipe, or use a bit longer muffler.

I have been eye-balling it and can't decide. I sort of have it stuck in my head that it's a short bike, and it needs a short exhaust, but I don't know.

Opinions?

TO ADD, I'll most likely wrap the headers and pipe, righ tup to the muffler.

Woodbutcher
12-07-2010, 8:33 PM
I would attach them where they go mount it to the linkage bolts and let it end where it ends IMHO

GlassBikerNC
12-07-2010, 8:52 PM
I'd keep them kind of short.

battleborn
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I'd lean towards short as well. If your bike had a bit longer overall look then longer pipes would look good, but as it is I don't think they should extend much past the rear axle.

djturnz
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I think that longer pipes would look good on a bigger bike, but I'm not sure this bike can pull it off. That is the delema I have been having and you guys have pretty much confirmed it.

I am going for a minimalist look with a short fender. Perhaps a larger bike with a full rear fender would be better suited for longer pipes. Oh well, there is always next project.

With what I have in mind, the muffler exit will be right about the passenger peg mounting point.

bobberjohn
12-08-2010, 4:29 PM
At the end of the collector with a slash cut at the end.