PDA

View Full Version : OIF HARDTAIL Questions?

oildevil13
09-12-2009, 9:53 AM
I have entirely too much free time on my hands. Since getting laid off, Im a basket case. No wonder my Dad started calling me every 15 minutes when he retired... not working is boring.

Ive been working on his Triumph for awhile, 750 TR7RV... 1973. He rides it when he comes out to visit, and I smash around on it the rest of the time.

I want to hardtail Dads bike. Ive been looking into it..there are a lot of options out there.. any thoughts on the best way to get this done? Personal experiances? Backbone conversion or no? How long would a hardtail welded to the oiltube really last? Im excited to try out my new hydraulic tubing bender, but the David Bird rear section looks sweet. I have a OIF here that I can cut up as a test run no harm no foul. I gave it to a bros little brother, but its still here, and he'd ride a hardtail anyway.

I was wanting to hear from guys who have already been down that road. Plan the work, work the plan..

KT
09-12-2009, 1:46 PM
I have entirely too much free time on my hands. Since getting laid off, Im a basket case. No wonder my Dad started calling me every 15 minutes when he retired... not working is boring.

Ive been working on his Triumph for awhile, 750 TR7RV... 1973. He rides it when he comes out to visit, and I smash around on it the rest of the time.

I want to hardtail Dads bike. Ive been looking into it..there are a lot of options out there.. any thoughts on the best way to get this done? Personal experiances? Backbone conversion or no? How long would a hardtail welded to the oiltube really last? Im excited to try out my new hydraulic tubing bender, but the David Bird rear section looks sweet. I have a OIF here that I can cut up no harm no foul.

I was wanting to hear from guys who have already been down that road. Plan the work, work the plan..

This bke is the exact same thing you are working on it was a 1973 TR7RV ...I really dislike the fat OIF tube so I looked and found this guy on ebay selling complete frames for OIF bikes ...everything was prefabed for the later 750s ...everthing fit nice and required very little fab work had a nice small rake and was extended 6 inches ...I can tyr and find the guy again if you are interested.... here is some shots of it from diffrent angles....

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/Morel_Monkey/trump3.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/Morel_Monkey/trump.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/Morel_Monkey/frame.jpg

Here is a frame I thought about copying before I went to the complete hardtail off the ebay guy...
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/Morel_Monkey/OIFHardtail.jpg

AliBobber
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM
wow i kinda like that primered frame^^

oildevil13
09-14-2009, 1:08 AM
Please try to find it! Its an option Id like to have in the holster. Id try to do a backbone conversion myself first before I bought a frame. The odds of me fucking it up are good though. Ive got a numbers matching bike, and I wanted to keep that way. Didnt you hardtail yours with the 3" tube.... did I dream that? What was the cracked frame thing... was that you? I appreciate it, but I was hoping to find somebody whos running either a conversion they did, or a hartail to the OIF.... and how did it go? Hows it holding up? Ive heard good and bad.... sooo.

JL
09-14-2009, 2:26 AM
Nice to see a bit of forethought with that primered frame
He's already built his own casket.

Choppedtriumphs
09-14-2009, 3:07 AM
Is that black one, one of Toms (Triumphwizard) frames ?

KT
09-14-2009, 6:14 AM
Is that black one, one of Toms (Triumphwizard) frames ?

Thank you been like 5 years since I did that bike was a east coaster I got it from and I do think it was triumphwizard on ebay ...that user name rings the bell hard =)

I to thought the primer frame looked alittle sketchy one of the reason I did'nt go with it ....

I sold my original OIF to that bike ....

I just went and looked at Triumphwizards sales and it does look like that was the individual I got it from ...I dont see him selling any frames but that doesnt mean he still doesnt have one ...

MsHeather
09-14-2009, 7:39 AM
Search out Mike 47, he has the knowledge. My buddy Bruce is a master welder but had never touched an OIF before, Mike helped out big time.

baggins
09-14-2009, 8:24 AM
Damn you guys....now I have to go out in the garage and start taking pix for you to see every carnation and modification to OIF setups that I have. Yes I have a welded on hard tail OIF. And a butchered stock frame, and a bone stock frame. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages.

KT
09-14-2009, 6:14 PM
Nice to see a bit of forethought with that primered frame
He's already built his own casket.

LOL now I see what you was getting at I never noticed the coffins in the back ground LOL damn

baggins
09-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Ok then. Pix are of a stock frame that was hacked. Guy had the right idea. Lower seat height and still have a suspension. And a little added rake...LOL. This guys welding left a lot to be desired. I bought the bike cheap and those were points that he couldn't argue with. Stock frame pix were to show how the hacked frame was modified and last is the weld on OIF setup.

oildevil13
09-15-2009, 1:45 PM
baggins,

how hard do you ride that OIF hardtail conversion, and how long have you been riding it?

baggins
09-15-2009, 6:39 PM
baggins,

how hard do you ride that OIF hardtail conversion, and how long have you been riding it?

Hard tail was built for the Reading 1/8 mile tracking in Reading, Pa. Run there for 2 years, now considering a redo.

MIKE47
09-18-2009, 9:17 AM
Search out Mike 47, he has the knowledge. My buddy Bruce is a master welder but had never touched an OIF before, Mike helped out big time.

Here's a pic for some ideas. Need any details drop me a line. It's a british cycle supply 2" over tail. I beleive you can do the same with a david bird tail or make your own. There are a few more pix. in the blog archives at 47fab.com.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/mikeypspix/IMG_0599.jpg

oildevil13
09-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Hard tail was built for the Reading 1/8 mile tracking in Reading, Pa. Run there for 2 years, now considering a redo.

That sounds fairly durable. Thanks for the pic as well, MIke.

Ive heard/read that these conversions will start cracking at the oiltube. It makes sense. You hear about people doing it regularly though. Running a frame dirt track for a couple of years... that seems to have held up. I ride everything I own like its stolen, borrowed, or in this case.. belongs to my Dad :) Ive hillclimbed on my Honda chop... and ridden almost all my bikes offroad to go camping, exploring, and generally fucking around. Flattracking in the parking lot across the street after it rains is another favorite pasttime. Long hard rides are another hobby, and I dont want to get stuck out in "PurdyBoy, New Mexico" with my bike in two pieces. Im the guy that kind of shit happens to, if you didnt know.
Usually when I have welded something togeather, and it fails.... its not what I built, or the weld but the original material on the machine that I welded to that has failed. I think Im going to go for it. Thanks for all the input.

Hey, Mike.... very clean, would you be interested in doing it? I could send you the seat, and you could mount that first if it made you feel better! Looks like you're already in the groove with it......

MIKE47
09-18-2009, 2:01 PM
Hey, Mike.... very clean, would you be interested in doing it? I could send you the seat, and you could mount that first if it made you feel better! Looks like you're already in the groove with it......

Feel free to give me a shout at the shop mon-sat 9-7 EST(usually). 908-725-4389. We can talk turkey and see what you want to do.