PDA

View Full Version : Xs650 neck gussetts / top motor mount

HOTROD
12-06-2010, 9:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone is running a stock xs650 frame with the neck gussetts and top motor mount removed? I want to go this route just concerned about potential structural issues.

Hooligans
12-06-2010, 9:40 PM
my build has neither..... I have asked many (not internet bikers) but actual people who have done it with no problems

Ember
12-06-2010, 9:44 PM
Many people do it. I will be doing the same with the gusset, but I will be adding a much smaller one. I already removed the top engine mount.
The gusset is more of a tank mount point, anyways.

4horsemen20
12-06-2010, 10:01 PM
well you guys just kicked my worries to the curb. thanks.

Punkskalar
12-07-2010, 9:07 AM
I don't run top mounts on ANY of my XS650 Builds. And several of them have no neck gussets at all...

HOTROD
12-07-2010, 9:42 AM
Thanks Punkskalar... this is my third XS build and lurking your posts here have been extremely helpful with all of them!

rwingsfan
12-09-2010, 1:15 PM
I asked this same question here and some other forums, kinda got my ass reamed about it. There are some who say no problem, then there are others who say undeniably that you are going to die. I really don't want to take out the mounts,if for no other reason than to help with the vibes. I did cut my gusset out and welded in a much smaller and less obtrusive one. the one point made to me that made some sense about the gussets was that removing them probably don't hurt much for flex as far as going down the rode, but rather the real stress is when braking. I am a big guy on a small bike and I want it to stop without cracking up, that is why I went ahead and put in some gusseting.

Ember
12-09-2010, 3:04 PM
Rear brake only = no stress to the frame up front :p

Hooligans
12-09-2010, 3:11 PM
Rear brake only = no stress to the frame up front :p

thats what i'm talkin about

philbey
12-13-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm going to remove my gusset but I'll probably fab a much smaller neater 15mm radius gusset to go in there. The big googly looking one in there is definetly bigger than it needs to be.

As for the top motor mount, I'll probably make a neat small one for there as well, I've read up on the Trumpy's and they're notorious for cracking cases without the top mount, I don't want to be the first to discover the XS is the same.

Cases are aluminium so theyre much more prone to a failure like this, whereas the frame is steel