PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Gurus

pdougc
12-06-2010, 8:50 AM
My bike is going to have a mild WWII warbird theme to it. When I say mild I mean nothing like this:
http://soamc.org/albums/Seed-Of-Abraham-M-C-Pennsylvania/DSCN1818.sized.jpg

Mostly subtle stuff, which brings me to the exhaust. I would like to do something similar to:

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/514167/Db86195.jpg

or

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2839211282_6fabc5a5ae.jpg

I would like to make it functional but I think my current exhaust length is too short. Maybe just make the last couple opening functional. I have to check the state laws I am pretty sure PA requires a muffler anyways which means if I go this route I will have to add it on to the side of a muffler. Dunno...:banghead:

Here is the current muffler length and what I would like to stick with.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/887/dsc05696eb.jpg

Oh don't worry about it flowing with the bike, the whole rear end, seat, tank, handlebars, gauges, headlight placement, wiring and front fender are changing.

Doc14
12-06-2010, 9:07 AM
Ummm, I'm going to leave this to the Theme bike, law abiding gurus................. However I do like where you are going with the exhaust styling.

Gdirty
12-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey, do you remember those "redline" hotwheels from the late '60's? The had those cool zoomie pipes on'em! You could take a flat oval shaped muffler and mount it under the motor, run yer head pipes into the front of that and hole saw the sides of the muffler and weld yer "stubs" on. Or run 2 tailpipes out the back of the muff and weld yer "stubs" to that at around a 45deg angle like a tree branch kinda!! When I get my camera fixed I will send ya a pic!

pdougc
12-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Something like this?

http://www.lastinterceptor.com/features/0405phr_falcon_16_z.jpg

http://www.hotwheels.com/files/imagecache/car_full/P2469_67Camaro.jpg

Never thought about bringing the pipes under the motor and then back out...hmm. I will have to work around the radiator but that might work.

Thats what I like about this place, the wealth of ideas!:clap for you:

cntrhub
12-06-2010, 11:27 AM
You're fine using any setup you want. If that is your DOHC, just a warning you both keep up on the valve lash or they burn valves going tight-some of them. The other is not to remove the air box. That sucker is so designed for the lag not to happen. You install more chop like foam filters, she breaths too much air in a slight wave of a bubble created. Then the bubble catches up sort of and the lag disappears.

If you see the dragster engines having short pipes, this is max flow so as to let the atmosphere run closer to the head. The head is giving off heat. The pipe is hot. The cool or cold air entering the dead engine's pipe is having that cool [air] heat as in; warming up the coldon't worry. Will it burn or warp a valve being too hot playing with the cold? Doubt it.

Can I retain my effect? You sure can. Can I borrow money for the court tickets being a new cents? It's your dime, fella! :D

pdougc
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
You're fine using any setup you want. If that is your DOHC, just a warning you both keep up on the valve lash or they burn valves going tight-some of them. The other is not to remove the air box. That sucker is so designed for the lag not to happen. You install more chop like foam filters, she breaths too much air in a slight wave of a bubble created. Then the bubble catches up sort of and the lag disappears.

If you see the dragster engines having short pipes, this is max flow so as to let the atmosphere run closer to the head. The head is giving off heat. The pipe is hot. The cool or cold air entering the dead engine's pipe is having that cool [air] heat as in; warming up the coldon't worry. Will it burn or warp a valve being too hot playing with the cold? Doubt it.

Can I retain my effect? You sure can. Can I borrow money for the court tickets being a new cents? It's your dime, fella! :D

I know I am learning and not as knowledgeable as some folk, but...http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/BJ_BOBBI_JO9/Smiley%20signs%20words%20and%20greetings/th_15huh.gif

turtle
12-06-2010, 7:31 PM
I would lovethe zoomies!!!!

Gdirty
12-07-2010, 1:00 AM
Yup, thats exactly it! Check out a muffler on a later model v- twin Buell, its hung under the motor and probably long enuff to stick 6 shorty stubs on each side. And like you were thinkin' you could make just the back ones functional to keep the noise down and johnny law off yer butt! The buell muff is probably a little too big around for your application but I think you get the idea. I made a couple mufflers for a car I had and basically copied a flowmaster type design. All you need is a 4 1/2" grinder with a zip disc and a mig welder! I can't wait to see what you come up with! Chop on

cntrhub
12-07-2010, 1:16 AM
I know I am learning... but...

I've leaned:

1. The dual overhead camshaft engine you have (DOHC) is notorious for burning valves [if it was a late model CB750/1100cc engine family] because the metallurgy back in the day was too soft and the valves would sink in the head, thus, take the clearance needed so the valve does not stick open, become so hot it burns itself out and you lost compression or are losing some now = Inspect valve lash, meaning, or pay for repair down the road = $$$$ Universal you checking lash is give me 40 for not catching that brand earlier [confusing you].

Guess what? That bike of yours is water cooled. The top end looked like an old Honda DOHC. Me 2bad or how do you say that? Boy! Did I fuckUP! It is so generic, it does not matter you keep up on the valves no matter the engine family...sans a two stroke.... OK, so you wanna check for broken reed valve... Don't get all technical on me now. ;)

2. The air cleaners on bikes are more team designed. You have teams that design engines, fuel metering, body styles, all those factored in and once they know say for argument sake, the bore of the carb and bore of the engine, they can work around the frame engineers and their design.

No matter how they come up building bike, I know from experience, most carbs require a lot of tuning rather than riding stock without hesitation you need to move away from a car we are going to argue looks vs. performance for another day get the fuck out of the way! So, the basic point is, you need to be an engineer you want to modify one bike part... Then bring your team and make a non-hesitation air box. Same will apply I speak the generic anyway. It all applies if you want to argue, flow vs. lag.

3. Now, history points out you follow the early racers of NASCAR; there was a guy named Flock. He and his brother would clean up once they showed up to race. Here was the problem. See, Flock was running 10 more HP on everyone else, but paid later on for his life [for ten HP]. The guy would run zero exhaust pipe. He would cause a speed event that would move faster if you did not have a pipe [in the way] moving that air in a pipe still trying to hit atmosphere. What took one of the brothers early was his constant smell of that colorless-ordorless carbon monoxide coming in the car. :eek: :D That was a racer! Anything for HP at any cost to win.

So, you need to hear all the old wives tails about warp at valves and pipe length. You showed me a bike with mufflers, we are not even close to cause and effect. You would cut those pipes up to the fram... And then I saw the water hose is nose is sniffed that one on the upper lip. My mistake, we are both learning about your bike.

BTW, what is that, Suzuki? I have no clue. Honda? And with that PA setup, it has plenty of pipe in that photo of bike in question [on my end that is].