PDA

View Full Version : oil tank fittings? how many?

OlSkewlTrump
12-05-2010, 3:16 PM

9511Hey there. I found this old gas tank in my scrap pile. its not dented and should hold about 4 quarts of oil. I hand painted with arylic so ill have to clear it for sure. the mount I have going on is just tempory. My question is how many holes do i need? I have one for oil return, but i need one on the bottom for oil feed, then I guess I need a breather of some sort? ill talk to my machinst see what he says but any advice from previous expeirence will be valued.

CMA406
12-05-2010, 3:19 PM
you need a feed, vent, and return with a "T" restrictor for the top end....

OlSkewlTrump
12-05-2010, 3:29 PM
thanks dude, I forgot about the top end. it runs of a t? well i suppose cause it would need preasure to put the oil up there. So a t off the return. It just seems like there would be a more affective way? hmm. Ill have to draw it out and think it out. I like a good brain storm.

CMA406
12-05-2010, 3:37 PM
yea but make sure whatever T you use restricts it somehow to pump the oil up there like you said...

Flarris
12-05-2010, 4:26 PM
Check out lowbrows DIY tech tips on oil tanks, cheers

OlSkewlTrump
12-05-2010, 6:41 PM
thanks guys

KT
12-05-2010, 7:44 PM
It's not really a restriction persay more of a reducing of size ..You can make this very simple or make it very hard....What is needed is a 5/16" hole straight thru for the return to flow right then a smaller feed Teeing off that larger hole ...This can be done by drilling a hole through a piece of 1/2 round stock and simply drilling the smaller hole in the middle on the side of the rod then insert flared push on nipples or tubing whichever or whatever you have or prefer ...The biggest thing is that it steps down or reduces ...But both holes are a straight through shot ...Here is a fast drawing I did so you see what I am saying here...

Also you vent through the cap if possible then there is no need for a vent fitting ...So return line ,feed line, A T somewhere below the level of the rockers but yet in the return line somewhere feeding the rocker boxes and vent through the cap ...I have my T below the return line level but I have no proof or statics that show it has to be below the return line level on the tank ...

OlSkewlTrump
12-07-2010, 9:58 AM
appreciate the help, hope fully I will have it done this week and will show you the finished product.

Gonzo151p
12-12-2010, 9:18 AM
ha sanyone ever thought of or tried making the oil feed for the top end come out where the oil pressure sending unit hole is? i mean if you use a small enough diameter line so it only takes a little pressure away from the feed for the bottom end because if you think about it it will hit a restriction of sorts when the oil gets to the rockers because of the space between the shaft and the rockerarm that it has to get forced thrugh. the feed hole for the rockers is relatively small any way. just a thought.:banghead::confused: