PDA

View Full Version : Solid seat on rigid, questions

vnygra
11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Heres my seat now on 4'' springs.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad250/vnygra/Picture206.jpg
i wanted to re work it durring the winter, though of maybe a fox shock, and a biltwell type hing. well i took it apart last night and the metal pan itself is really comfortable without the padding. And with the new forwards i just made its comfortable sitting right on the frame. i have seen many pics of the solid mount seats on rigid bikes, how does it feel? i only need the back to come up maybe 1'', maybe 1 1/2'' should i just solid mount it at this height, or would small 1 1/2'' springs make any difference?

Ember
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I solid mounted a seat last year just for a few weeks. That was one hell of a ride after a while. If you have any back problems I wouldn't do it. But I guess it varies from person to person. My buddy said it wasn't too bad for him, but he wasn't riding it for very long.

Short springs will most likely be like a solid mount since there is very little give, depending on the springs themselves.

I guess what I am getting at is, try mounting it like you want and take it for a ride. You can always tack it on and remove/return it to the way it is now if you don't like it.

Spacewolf
11-23-2010, 1:05 PM
I had a sprung seat on my old bike that I had cut the springs down to about 2 coils, so it was pretty much rigid. I didnt mind it, but that was me personally, I suppose everyone will be different.
You can see the shorty springs in these pictures
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/2000/1272/42402.jpg
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/2000/1272/42405.jpg

GO4TH
11-23-2010, 7:28 PM
I like mine as low as I can get it....Just make sure your controls are far enough forward or you will want to slide off the back of the seat....No fun after a while...

vnygra
11-23-2010, 8:37 PM
Thanks guys. What about with just a seat pan. I might just cover it in leather door looks though. I've never done any leather work, but maybe tool in some design

KT
11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I have rode both and I like a heavy padded solid mount seat better ... I am a light guy though at 135lbs so not alot of weight slamming down when I hit a bump ...But I think a sprung seat actually causes you to bounce when you hit a bump which makes you slam down harder when the springs are fully compressed as to were a solid mount just bucks up once and it's over ...I have just learned to raise up out of the seat a bit if I can see a bump coming or what have you ....

I know when we rode to the getdown it was almost 250 miles one way and my buddy on his stock buell felt the same as I did riding my solid mounted seat on my hardtail Triumph ....No back pain but our asses started going numb ...

Pappycalledmewoops
11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
potholes are a bitch

kb96gt
11-24-2010, 8:53 AM
I've got the choppershox style on mine with the two mini shocks. It's the same thing as the springs, hit a bump and you're in the air. Slams your back on the rebound. You can play with the adjustment, but I just haven't found the sweet spot with it. I don't think I'm fat enough for them.

I've seen some solid mount two-up seats, the rear section follows over the fender and it's nice and thick in the saddle area. I've never ridden on one but it looks like it would be a little more forgiving.