PDA

View Full Version : Question: triumph head stays...

cHiCoD
09-09-2009, 8:26 PM
how important(or unimportant) are the head stays on the unit triumphs?
i see alot of the old choppers without them.

my frame does not have the mounting bracket for them and i really don't want to use them on it anyways.

GreaserMike
09-09-2009, 8:34 PM
I'd say they're pretty important. The head stay keeps the vibration down which in turn will keep your top end from leaking oil.

oildevil13
09-09-2009, 8:36 PM
My personal uneducated vote is... important. My bikes vibrate a lot, and I think Id rather run a head steady than risk breaking something in the motor mount area.

cHiCoD
09-09-2009, 9:41 PM
kinda what i am thinking too,Mike.

i just see so many old choppers without them.

guess i'll be doing some fabricating....maybe.
lol!

KT
09-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Simple rule of thumb I keep in mind when tooling on something to ride ...
Form follows Function...

The head stays are very important to control top end vibration and helps tie the engine to the frame at all points possible.....

Not bracing the exhaust in multiple points is another no no in my book ...yea it doesnt look as good to have several ties on the exhaust ,but you also wont vibrate your exhaust spigots out after riding 100 miles....

2 foot jockey shifters that vibrate the shit out of your tranny spline is another thing I dont understand ....

Making a bike to ride is alot different than a bar hopper go a few blocks thumper....(opinion)

hope that helps =)

oildevil13
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
AAHHH Exhaust pipes.....Ever wonder where I learned my "Beer can, Sharp rock" exhaust trick? Thats right ...Im one of the cool kids.... and my shit falls apart regularly. Will be adding mount tabs to the pipes when they fall off again. The head steady triangulates everything, I was looking at mine.... What is it for structural integrity? Circles are the strongest... but triangles are pretty close second? You can tell Im no engineer... I cant even spell this shit. I never thought about rattling the top end apart.... been brought up a couple of times though, so Im believing it.

KT
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Simple way is to tie the pipes together with a bar...atleast for wrap arounds... I used a 1/8 " SS piece to make this one..Couple exhaust clamps and there ya go...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/Morel_Monkey/exhaustbar.jpg

cHiCoD
09-09-2009, 10:49 PM
i'm still wondering so many choppers back in the day didn't have them?
they seemed to ride them all over the place as well.

KT
09-10-2009, 8:53 AM
alot of choppers use the headstays though even v twins do ...alot of v twins have the brace that comes off the backbone and goes between the jugs tieing the engine and frame is a triangle the same way....

you can try it see what happens you maybe ok and it may cause problems...just one of those areas were its iffy and i'd hate to see it have something happen and you have to go back and fix it, when you are there right now and it is easier now then later....

image1
09-10-2009, 8:54 AM
one of my trump frames is like you are talking about Chico, it has been stretched up and out a couple inches back in the 70's, when i got it, it was cracked in 2 places... i'm just not sure if its head steady related or hillbilly coble-ing....

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
it still seems that there were a ton of choppers back in the day that did not have them and ran fin?

any old men on here from the chopper hay day that can comment on this thread about this?

GreaserMike
09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f171/greaser_mike/chico.jpg

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
wow,you are really amazing with photoshop.
i wonder if my buddy "Jason" in that picture knows what you've done to him.
lol!

i still would like to hear some input from some old timers.
and Mike,you ain't that old!
lol!

GreaserMike
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
My bad. All you kids look the same to me. ;)

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 1:00 PM
shit...and you don't?
;)

GreaserMike
09-10-2009, 1:09 PM
Well clearly all you bastards are biting my style. I was born like this.

Dictionary: sar·casm (sär'kăz'əm)
n.

A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

[Late Latin sarcasmus, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein, to bite the lips in rage, from sarx, sark-, flesh.]

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 1:24 PM
Well clearly all you bastards are biting my style. I was born like this.

Dictionary: sar·casm (sär'kăz'əm)
n.

A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

[Late Latin sarcasmus, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein, to bite the lips in rage, from sarx, sark-, flesh.]

haha!
well...Mike,my friend...others might be "biting" your style,but i for one am VERY far from it.
i am a dirtball.

GreaserMike
09-10-2009, 1:28 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Pig-pen_peanuts.PNG

The great one!

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 1:40 PM
i believe that just might have to be my next tattoo.
lol!

PsYcHoBiLLyRocKeR
09-10-2009, 6:25 PM
I do not know why or how so please don't ask, but the head steady helps with performance of the bike while cornering like in the twisties, there is a definite difference...my thoughts on this??? remember how when you were a kid you'd take a bicycle wheel and hold either end of the spindle, then give the wheel a good spin, remember what it would do? Well i wonder if the crank spinning would cause a similar effect then add in the engine torqueing forward and back depend on acceleration or deceleration, is it possible that that might throw the bike off its center of gravity and the head steady stabilizes all that

adamnphx
09-10-2009, 8:09 PM
all i know is i didnt want to ride my bike it vibrated so fuckin bad. go 10 miles and cant even hold the bars my hands were so numb. ass numb as well. not to mention all the shit that broke and fell off. i also just got done installing oversize thread exhaust spigots due to them vibrating right out of the head. then i added a top mount and fuck if it didnt get rid of at least 90% of the vibes. so my answer is they are very important.

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
i think the lot of you are just negative people.

;)

GreaserMike
09-10-2009, 11:51 PM
i think the lot of you are just negative people.

;)

I think you're just a lazy bastard who refuses to weld one tab onto his frame regardless of how much it would reduce vibration and prevent oil leaks. Sixty people will tell you how important the head stay is but you'll winge on, hoping one person in the universe will agree with you. SHEESH!!!! Why'd ya ask in the first place?

Is that negative enough for ya?

:::shakes fist in air::: CHICOOOOO!!!!!

You know I love ya buddy....you still owe me a beer for that shit tire.

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 11:55 PM
I think you're just a lazy bastard who refuses to weld one tab onto his frame regardless of how much it would reduce vibration and prevent oil leaks.

Is that negative enough for ya?

:::shakes fist in air::: CHICOOOOO!!!!!

hey Mike,go fuck yourself my friend. muaaaawaaahahahaha!

love you.
;)
xoxo
Chico.

ps.. if you saw the frame in question...you would understand.
email me.
chi_cod@hotmail.com.

oh great triumph builder.
once again,more sarcasm.
;)

cHiCoD
09-10-2009, 11:56 PM
oh...and psss.
GO TO BED!!!!!!!

it's 3 IN THE MORNING YOUR TIME!!!!!

JESUS!!!!

LOL!

by the way...it's actually "2" tabs,not one.

GreaserMike
09-11-2009, 12:01 AM
It's 2 my time but 7PM In New Zealand where my GF is visiting her parents.

But thank you for the concern.

cHiCoD
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
It's 2 my time but 7PM In New Zealand where my GF is visiting her parents.

But thank you for the concern.

i worry about you.

i think you need to get more sleep.

in fact,my drunk dirty ass needs to go to bed.
thanks for all the "help" and can't wait to meet up with you this winter.

yep,thats right,i'll be out there this winter.
pissing on Marco's flower bed and throwing up in Andy's office.

oh, the joys of vacation!
lol!

G'nite.

Gepetto
09-11-2009, 2:10 AM
When I first built my bike it didn't have them and wondered how different it would feel with them, So after several months riding with out them, I decided to make some for it. Not sure I like it but it changes the feel of the bike. Hard to explain, just different. Also for all of you guys that swear you HAVE to have them because the factory put them there, the factory changed the set up through the years for some reason. So I'm not sure that there is a carved in stone awnser to the question if the factory kept changing it's mind. Just a thought

sickboi55
09-11-2009, 2:12 AM
hey fucker, i wasnt gonna run them on mine, but rethought that the first time i rode it the first time i put it together. i made mine out of 1 section of 1/8 flat stock. goes over one head bolt then to a bung on the tube under the top tube. i may actually run another one to the other rocker box.

cHiCoD
09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
hey fucker, i wasnt gonna run them on mine, but rethought that the first time i rode it the first time i put it together. i made mine out of 1 section of 1/8 flat stock. goes over one head bolt then to a bung on the tube under the top tube. i may actually run another one to the other rocker box.

YOU,need to run them.
just look at your avatar photo.
hahahaha!!!!!!!!

j/k

Gepetto:

you are correct about it changing alot with the years and company.

KT
09-11-2009, 12:42 PM
honestly in my experiance with owning a 73 750 and know owning a 650 ...I will say I like the
650s 4 bolt system above the 750s one bar from box to box and then to the frame .... seems alot better suport and you can get chrome stays too ...or do them in a secondary color like frame black stays red or whatever .....

billdozer
09-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Chico, I hated the way the stock ones looked like a piece of an old swingset but quite a few people who's opinion I trust said they are a must. So I made some out of a couple old box end wrenches, they held up as long as I owned the bike. Maybe there is an attractive solution to the problem out there somewhere...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/1443828218_2e60a9c95c_o.jpg

cHiCoD
09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Bill,that is a beautiful idea.

i think i'm gonna have to make some tabs for the frame and put them on.

and your right,the stock ones look.....well......not so much.

busfreak
09-12-2009, 8:41 PM
Bill thanks for the picture, because until I saw the picture I had no idea what the hell anyone was talking about. A pic is worth a thousand words.

ClassicCycles
09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Chico, I'm with you man, I rode my bike (pre-unit rigid) for close to 5 years, no head stays. Rode the hell out of it too, rode to Vegas at 65-70, smooth as hell too! Then I rebuilt the motor and balanced the crank... Now it vibrates like a son of a bitch. So I put a top motor mount on it, one that ties all 4 head bolts together and that fixed everything. Just rode to Ventura, bike felt great on the freeway again. So I don't know the answer, some bikes seem to need them, some don't... Heavier cranks seem to be better than light ones. Food for thought..

p.s. I think "J" would like that picture Mike!

Andy

cHiCoD
09-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Andy,
did you ride up with J to Ventura?
sounds like it was a blast.

ps. i called awhile ago about a points cover,but i was "covered" by a friend here.

we'll see what happens when it all goes together,about the head stay deal.
fingers crossed.

63truimph
09-14-2009, 7:13 PM
my whole front end would shake and wobble. I tried everything, balance front wheel, new bearings, even new spacers but nothing would stop the wobble......then I thought well ok maybe those guys have something i'll try a head stay.....wholy crap it was like night and day. from here on out i'll swear by them

cHiCoD
09-14-2009, 7:38 PM
i'm not going to run them,because everyone says they are a nesessity.
lol!
j/k

i'm gonna try it without them first.
if i have a problem,then i'll deal with it.

KT
09-14-2009, 7:53 PM
i'm not going to run them,because everyone says they are a nesessity.
lol!
j/k

i'm gonna try it without them first.
if i have a problem,then i'll deal with it.

HAHAH ya know man ...My brother was helping me first time I put the head on my 70 ..Well he put the rockers on backwards oiler was on the left side of the engine....I seen it was talkin shit to him oh wtf gotta take it apart now and redo it etc etc good brotherly love ....He simply looks at me and says ....run it .... I go and look through all my books ...check part numbers on rockers same part number nothing different form side to side...Went looked at a rocker and how it drained and all that check oil hole in rocker spindle see it was offset or something ....nope....

I asked people no one had a technical reason other than ..."you just dont"...SO i tried it ya know what nothing happened it didnt blow up or fly apart worked fine ...Seeing I had all the head sealing problem ...I eventually put them back the ""right"" way ...But I proved a point somewhat ....Not everything is impossible .....were there is a will there is a way bet that =) or just enough laziness to manage a work aound LOL

cHiCoD
09-14-2009, 8:22 PM
lol!
it's not laziness.
it's what i'm working with.
if you saw what it was,you'd understand.

BUT,i'm keeping it off the forums until a later date.
so my questions don't make sense,nobody knows what the hell i'm talking about,nobody can understand because of my vaugness.
just the way i like it.
LOL!

rk378
09-14-2009, 8:36 PM
i am adding head stays this winter a little too much vibs for me

KT
09-14-2009, 8:52 PM
lol!
it's not laziness.
it's what i'm working with.
if you saw what it was,you'd understand.

BUT,i'm keeping it off the forums until a later date.
so my questions don't make sense,nobody knows what the hell i'm talking about,nobody can understand because of my vaugness.
just the way i like it.
LOL!

NICE! got this tern from my 14 yr old son so forgive me if it's lame ..But I think after that explaination your name needs to be "NiNjAcHiCoD"

cHiCoD
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
NICE! got this tern from my 14 yr old son so forgive me if it's lame ..But I think after that explaination your name needs to be "NiNjAcHiCoD"

hahahahaha!

yeah man. half the time i confuse myself and forget what the hell i was talking about.
then i have to start all over.
i call it, "dunno style"
lol!

travasesino
09-14-2009, 10:25 PM
i have them on 2 of my bikes & not on 1. the 1 without vibrates like hell all the time - but hey, it's a chopper! the 2 with..... wait til i get up past 70 then vibrate like hell - but hey, they're triumphs!

if i wanted a cadillac, i'd buy a bagger.

/t

cHiCoD
09-14-2009, 10:29 PM
^^^LOL!
well,if my bike vibrates like crazy when it's done and makes my ass go numb,i'll name it "The Stranger".

travasesino
09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
LMFAO

seriously - i can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!