PDA

View Full Version : Build Tips and Tricks? Unit 650

milehigh
11-17-2010, 8:37 PM
Due to me being slightly dumb andimpatient, I ended up buying my project piece by piece. From what I can tell from the parts manual, I finally have everything I need. Im just hoping to grab some tips from all you guys who have done this a zillion times, :confused:. Really tips, tricks, wisdom, drunken rambling, dosn't matter. Just hopin to get it togather right the first time.

milehigh
11-17-2010, 8:52 PM
Forgot to say that Im just talking about assembling the motor/tranny. First triumph, not first build.

LinkBelt
11-18-2010, 6:18 PM
use red loctight on everything.

guschambers
11-19-2010, 2:08 PM
hope for the best, expect the worst.

get a shitload of weird british tools,valve sping compressor, wrist pin tool, clutch puller, camwheel puller, crank pinion puller, etc...

always wipe and stay off the pipe.

milehigh
11-19-2010, 3:32 PM
Appreciate it guys. Just dropped my cases and crank off at the machine shop. Hope to get into this real soon. Good sources on any of the tools? I know tons of people sell them, any opinions?

dracko
11-19-2010, 3:53 PM
Get either Hughie or Wes's engine rebuild video, download the shop manual from choppedtriumphs.com and theres a book called Building Budget Brits that is full of good shit.

search around this forum, there is a thread on tools. there are some tools you can easily make yourself or do without. The wrist pins you don't need the tool to change and crank pinion you should be able to use a generic puller.

you will need the camshaft tool and the clutch hub puller. Again, search around for best prices, google .

what year is your engine? '71 and up hardware is mostly SAE. but there could be some random whitworth mixed in somewhere too.

guschambers
11-19-2010, 6:06 PM
ya, get the videos for sure.

milehigh
11-19-2010, 7:01 PM
Thanks dudes. 71 motor goin in 70 frame, I'll get on ordering some tools and vids.

dracko
11-20-2010, 8:40 AM
71 motor goin in 70 frame Thats a real good combo. The removeable front motor mounts on the 70 frames are nice to have. In fact I think you can drop your motor in with the rocker boxes on with that frame...
What are you having done to your cases?

milehigh
11-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Theres the starting of a crack right at the front mount. Needed shimmed I suppose. Pretty stoked on the build so far. After two coffee cans of bondo I have a bare frame ready to mock up.

LinkBelt
11-20-2010, 1:00 PM
How about some pics to keep us interested. :cheersmate:

milehigh
11-20-2010, 1:40 PM
Ordered a camera last night, I'll take tons when it comes. Can I make this a build thread? Or will I get raped like on some other sites?

cooter
11-20-2010, 2:40 PM
raped why, its your bike you gotta ride it , build what you can an be proud:cheersmate:

shit man every extra trumpy on the roads a bonus

cntrhub
11-20-2010, 3:12 PM
Due to me being slightly dumb and impatient Whooooo wait, charlie. I'm at the head of the class wit hat one. Now, you need to carry the impatient way to build.
This is a slow learning process and we do not want to goof one move on the engine plant. Watt am I saying. We do not want to make any mistakes being all impatient about getting the build done. Let it take long. That is the build.

Build is not how you take some impatience but harness it down. You really are not going anywhere... Yet. So let it ride like fine wine has to sit in the barrel. I rather sip on a shot of 150yr old and wonder how long it had to sit there and it tastes like candy looking at the bikes on here.

I ended up buying my project piece by piece. From what I can tell from the parts manual, I finally have everything I need. Im just hoping to grab some tips from all you guys who have done this a zillion times, :confused:. Really tips, tricks, wisdom, drunken rambling, dosn't matter. Just hopin to get it togather right the first time. Make sure you shoot close shots so we can see if it needs to go in at all. Like if you have some question you can't seem to find in the manual, send it here.

How about we start off with cleaning the parts. I'm in the process of cleaning carb/carbon/case with a blend of slab city sally's goo is she was all hot about throwing those boobs over her shoulders and if you saw here setup slab style, she might have a trick way to clean parts if she douches that thing at all.

I'm thinking if you match me, I match you, meaning, part for part, you can see how to set even a washer up is one side being stamped. The clutch plates being stamped need to enter the basket correctly for proper N [neutral] foot stabbing, not hand wrist yanking finding N. zLots of tricks to know. The old 'been dare done datshit' is right up some alley- wink-wink -potato-potato.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/vinEgeardecarbon.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/Vinegarcutting.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/gettingthere.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/plainolvin.jpg

No gasoline to blow the garage up with. No water table to drink down the road. 5% Acid trip to the store and now use straight 50w racing oil with some vinegar. Add salt and pepper for taste. Crew Thongs, tomatoes, onions. Toss in a bowl a few times you get winter fever all over again.

TroopThrowback
11-21-2010, 7:02 PM
I certainly have no clue what the hell you're talking about. Sure sounds like a recipe for something exciting!

Do indeed take your time with the build. She will teach you many things if you let her. Do not force ANYTHING. Engineered and built with an attention to detail, rebuilding one of these demands patience and respect. And one more of these on the road is a good thing.

Throwbacks

milehigh
11-22-2010, 6:33 PM
Yeah. While Im waiting for some tools and Wes' DVDs in the mail, Im cleaning stuff and mostly making my kitchen(garage) surgically clean, read though the manual repeatedly. I'll take my time, and lots of pics. Thanks bros.

cntrhub
11-22-2010, 7:31 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/potatopotatoleak.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/5acidbath.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/potatosealed.jpg

Yes, act like a hospital. Even clean your sockets before assembly. All those 6 and 12 points went through the disassembly, now time for clean-clean-clean machine.

Degrease-Decarbon-Demand attention to detail.

milehigh
11-22-2010, 8:51 PM
Haha now I get the potatoes.

TroyFab
11-24-2010, 9:34 PM
Thanks dudes. 71 motor goin in 70 frame, I'll get on ordering some tools and vids.

I just finished up a 71 motor in a 70 frame. I upgraded to a plunger and got rid of the leaf spring mechanism in the tranny. I was told by many to do this.

Loffer
11-24-2010, 10:55 PM
+2 on the plunger. Did that in my 71 bonne motor also. Keeps it from popping out of gear. Most good Trumpy shops will do it for a couple hundred bucks. Good luck man.