PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see in "English 102"?

Tyler
09-09-2009, 3:14 PM
I would like to hear some input from my fellow Triumph and BSA owners on some tune & service and maintenance topics you would like to see covered in a video format.

What do you want to do to your bike but aren't comfortable enough to do yet?

Is there anything that you find difficult to understand from a shop manual you would like to see done step by step?

All input is appreciated!
Thanks
Tyler

KT
09-09-2009, 7:44 PM
I havent got a chance to get 101 yet and your working on 102 damn ...Been throwing to much money at the bikes ....So disregard if I suggestion something you covered in 101 ...

Personally I'd like to see someone cover the odd areas of things that can be done some of the dissappearing knowledge ...

Like putting a unit top end on a pre unit triumph .......

.video breakdown of stuffing a 5 speed tranny into a pre unit tranny case....
Off the radar stuff ...
things that need considered when making a SU carb fit ....Mod stuff .....

Belt drive tips when installing in unit.... pre unit ...

I see alot of people struggle with the different ignition options available to them like do I go mag, boyer,sparx,podtronics,tympanium , all that good stuff

Maybe some tuning tips on the performance side like plug gap increase when you run this ign or that ign....Timing tricks .....Ok I'll stop LOL

travasesino
09-09-2009, 8:52 PM
head "reversals" - how to put your carbs in fron & exhaust out back!.

i've yet to have anybody even be able to viable explain to me how it works............................... so i think that would be cool as hell to see.

TroopThrowback
09-10-2009, 12:32 AM
+1 on what KT said. The next installment could cover how to identify parts that need replaced, as well as some performance tuning tips. I like the idea of 9 bolt head on pre-unit motor. I'll do some more thinking...

thickmick
09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Tuning tips would be at the top of my list. May someone could research what some of the old MX/Flat track racers did to make their bikes faster.

RustyBill
09-10-2009, 6:15 PM
I'd like to see some speed and performance tips/tricks, worn parts identification, identification of common weak areas with popular brit bikes and how to address them.

TRUMPNUT
09-10-2009, 10:14 PM
head "reversals" - how to put your carbs in fron & exhaust out back!.

i've yet to have anybody even be able to viable explain to me how it works............................... so i think that would be cool as hell to see.

There are two ways to do it . The easy way which most people do is just reverse the head and retime the cams but you have to make sure you get the correct year cams so the profile for the in. and ex. are the same .
The right way is to buy reverse head cams .

On 9 bolt heads you have to drill a new hole for the 9th bolt .

As for 9 bolt top end to preunits . they bolt on you just have to change it from the cylinders up because the bolt pattern is wider on a 9 bolt head so you can't just tap the 9th hole . On 67 and later cylinders you have to plug the ex. cam follower oil feed .

Tyler you guys should do one on repairing your bike . Not just maintance but like how to time you points in the dark on the side of the road using a cigerette box . You know that kinda stuff !

GreaserMike
09-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Tyler you guys should do one on repairing your bike . Not just maintance but like how to time you points in the dark on the side of the road using a cigerette box . You know that kinda stuff !

I totally agree.

People might benefit from is some form of troubleshooting manual. While the 650 Rebuild and English 101DVD's give a clear walk through of how the bikes work, how they come apart and go back together, they do not cover problem solving.

Granted, this wouldn't really be applicable to people that have been wrenching for some amount of time. When I approach an issue with one of my bikes I run through the same sort of mental checklist that you, Wes or Nick (Trumpnut) goes through. "Do I have spark? Do I have fuel? My points are fucked. My clutch cable snapped, now what? etc..." The challenge is illustrating this to riders that would otherwise be standing on the side of the road reaching for a cell to call for a tow. Again, this wouldn't be some kind of hand-holding but a guide for people that are nervous about messing with anything mechanical when a problem arises.

TRUMPNUT
09-11-2009, 9:33 AM
I have not seen the first two DVD's but from what I hear it seems to be all motor . So why not chassis overhual .
Like how to relace rims , properly set up duel leading shoe brakes , installing a chain , installing a front end , All the basics people take for granted but when done right the bike handles and stops well .

Also How to wire the bike and test the electrical parts . That is a biggie for newcomer to Brits and most of the guys broke down on the side of the road have problems with the wirering . Every EDR I ended up helping rewire a bike in mex. to get some one home .

Tyler
09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
yeah you guys mention a lot we already plan on covering. Troubleshooting, Carb tuning and Wiring / Electrical are some main topics to be covered..

B
09-11-2009, 6:04 PM
i was thinking rebuilding/lowering forks. and basically everything trumpnut said haha

Kristopher
09-12-2009, 2:55 PM
A whole video on on wiring would help me a ton. You could fill up a whole 4 hour video on building custom wiring harnesses and I'd still not know half as much as I'd like too.

L7Josh
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
lacing and truing wheels

billdozer
09-12-2009, 11:44 PM
I finally got a chance to sit down and watch about half of this latest one today. I have to say "bravo" Wes. You, Tyler and your crew really raised the bar since the last one and should be proud.

Since I haven't made it through the whole thing yet I won't comment much on what should go into the next one except to say I think graphics would help. ie: when showing how to adjust valves, if a guy hasn't done it before, it's pretty hard to see what you are doing. Some of the manual drawings or custom done stuff (I can help) might help illustrate how you hold the lock-nut and spin the adjuster, etc. Same thing with the trans drain plug/stand pipe deal. I knew exactly what you were talking about and had to pause it and draw a scribble to explain it to my son who was watching it with me. I know it's high production shit, but shows like mythbusters and how-it-works have some pretty simple drawings that really explain stuff better than any words or even live video can. The old cartoon illustrations of wiring diagrams are way easier for me to digest than real schematics, so maybe they don't have to be that tight.

How 'bout some troubleshooting tips? There is an old book called "How to keep your Volkswagen alive, for the complete idiot" that had some great, real-world tips on how to start the troubleshooting process. The whole "Let's eliminate each thing, spark, fuel, compression, then get more detailed from there sort of deal".

Keep up the good work!

TRUMPNUT
09-13-2009, 10:21 AM

How 'bout some troubleshooting tips? There is an old book called "How to keep your Volkswagen alive, for the complete idiot" that had some great, real-world tips on how to start the troubleshooting process. The whole "Let's eliminate each thing, spark, fuel, compression, then get more detailed from there sort of deal".

Keep up the good work!I have been wrighting that book forever but I suck at wrighting .

TroopThrowback
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I finally got a chance to sit down and watch about half of this latest one today. I have to say "bravo" Wes. You, Tyler and your crew really raised the bar since the last one and should be proud.

Since I haven't made it through the whole thing yet I won't comment much on what should go into the next one except to say I think graphics would help. ie: when showing how to adjust valves, if a guy hasn't done it before, it's pretty hard to see what you are doing. Some of the manual drawings or custom done stuff (I can help) might help illustrate how you hold the lock-nut and spin the adjuster, etc. Same thing with the trans drain plug/stand pipe deal. I knew exactly what you were talking about and had to pause it and draw a scribble to explain it to my son who was watching it with me. I know it's high production shit, but shows like mythbusters and how-it-works have some pretty simple drawings that really explain stuff better than any words or even live video can. The old cartoon illustrations of wiring diagrams are way easier for me to digest than real schematics, so maybe they don't have to be that tight.

Keep up the good work!

EXACTLY! The graphics would be a huge boon to conveying the principles.

Also, how to set your points ignition up. How do we keep skipping over the points as an ignition timing device. It came from the factory, is super simple to set up and use, and doesn't require a battery or an expensive, gargantuan magneto.

billdozer
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I have been wrighting that book forever but I suck at wrighting .

You are wright.

Nick, I know you talked about doing a little tool-bag sized book like this a long time ago, I still think it's a neat idea.

BobT
09-14-2009, 5:46 PM
i would like to see wheel lacing and truing. fork lowering. electrics and the multiple ways you can wire your bike. the first two are great

fouraceswes
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Excellent stuff gents, hopefully we can get to a lot of it. Trouble with readside stuff is that I even still reach for the cell phone!!! I got too many friends with trucks.

GreaserMike
09-15-2009, 8:28 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f171/greaser_mike/wesandkanye.jpg

Kanye West hates Wes White (part 2)

KT
09-15-2009, 2:41 PM
Thats some funny shit right there LOL

KT
09-27-2009, 8:34 PM
ok I grabbed 101 so now I can have a opinion heheh I think there was alot of useful advice alot I had heard already from others ...but ...I still learned something actually a couple things it always helps to see someone else do something to see faults in your ways or to refine your own ways ...Wes provided a laid back common sense way of things that I found easy to follow ...

I learned alot watching the pre unit mag setup and degree wheel chapter great great great!!!

Great dvd for those wanting to work on these old thumpers or own one ....

Now for my funny story ...My wife and some friends watched it with me and we developed a game around Wes ...Everytime he said the word nut you had to drink ...Think there is one part were you take drinks for like 3 minutes straight LOL .....

and then whenever Wes says Handy Dandy the first one to yell out notebook gets to make everyone else drink LOL ...Hell man DVD was worth the money just for the fun we had heheheh

But straight up if your new to triumphs or have been around them alot I think this DVD is useful in many ways and levels of mechanic abilities out there....

Oh yea 102 make it more techy get into the harder stuff less maintence you guys got that nailed with 101....All in all cool deal guys keep it coming =)

billdozer
09-28-2009, 12:09 AM
"and then whenever Wes says Handy Dandy the first one to yell out notebook gets to make everyone else drink LOL ...Hell man DVD was worth the money just for the fun we had heheheh ..."

Man, I was going to do a contest to see who count the "Handy Dandys" in there just for fun but I lost count somewhere around hour two and gave up. Good shit to turn it into a coed drinking game. Fun for the whole family!

TroopThrowback
09-30-2009, 9:16 PM
Here's one: Maybe use some of the British tools all over the place instead of all those crescent wrenches! For some reason that bugged me...

Tyler
10-01-2009, 2:13 PM
Haha, that drinking game sounds fun. Hey Sinner6T, yeah I have heard that before, and mentioned it to Wes, keep a lookout for less crescent wrench action in E102. Used correctly there is no problem with it, but Wes has all the right tools may as well use em!
Cheers
Tyler

TroopThrowback
10-07-2009, 6:36 PM
Haha, that drinking game sounds fun. Hey Sinner6T, yeah I have heard that before, and mentioned it to Wes, keep a lookout for less crescent wrench action in E102. Used correctly there is no problem with it, but Wes has all the right tools may as well use em!
Cheers
Tyler

Exactly! Now, of course, we know that the amount of surface engagement is much better on a box end wrench than the two surfaces of a crescent. Some commented that all those tools on the walls were just props! Prove them wrong.

TroopThrowback
10-14-2009, 1:57 PM
Okay, I loaned the video to my pops for about a month (he didn't get around to watching it yet) and just started watching it again. The first Unit motor Wes is working on for the valve adjustments has the rockers on backwards, with the oil feed on the drive side. What's up there?

Tyler
10-15-2009, 8:50 AM
Haha, I don't know, that was just a motor pulled off the floor to use for valve adjustments. Either the rockers were put on swapped around (function wise it doesn't matter) or there was a reason for it at some point that I am not akin to. Maybe now we will get guys swapping their rocker boxes and oil feed on the drive side will be the next cool thing hah

GreaserMike
10-15-2009, 8:53 AM
Haha, I don't know, that was just a motor pulled off the floor to use for valve adjustments. Either the rockers were put on swapped around (function wise it doesn't matter) or there was a reason for it at some point that I am not akin to. Maybe now we will get guys swapping their rocker boxes and oil feed on the drive side will be the next cool thing hah

A few of the after market fuel tanks have a petcock that hits the oil feed pipe when its on the timing side. (I'm so OCD that I cut the bung out of the aluminum tank in my bike and relocated it rather than reverse the boxes) Then again, some ppl just like to put the boxes on backwards which is fine as long as the valve adjustment is correct.

TroopThrowback
10-15-2009, 1:04 PM
Live and learn, right? I figured it didn't matter, but I never knew there might be an actual reason (besides not having the proper manual or a crazy photonegative copy of one). It would be funny to find out who doesn't read their manual when putting it together and only watches the video, cause this could become an accidental trend!

KT
10-15-2009, 3:28 PM
If you look at my 70 it was first ran with the rockers backwards I never noticed it at first switched it back when I had to lap the head to get it to seal ...I did alot of research on this topic though ..cause I didnt want to tear it apart .....But found out there is no techincal reason to it other than that's how Triumph did it from the factory....rockers are the same oil feed hole in spindles are the same there is nothing that henders running them backwards ....other than people telling you your boxes are on backwards all the time...

I actually thought about putting mine back on backwards just to be different and it is something easy to do ....