PDA

View Full Version : First Trump build. '71 Tiger

Blacktopbandit
11-08-2010, 6:21 PM
Well here we go. I've been lurking and asking a few questions here and there on this site and a few others and have decided to share what i learned. First off thanks to those who have replied to my questions.

I picked up this 1971 Triumph Tiger for a fair price in my opinion, with the intention of making a daily rider and cool machine to look at and wrench on. I grabbed it mid season and rode it as is until a couple of weeks ago when the weather started to change.

The first thing was to find a frame and hard tail section so i didn't have to cut the OIF it came with so if need be i can put it back together as stock. A friends father in-law, and motorcycle enthusiast himself knew of another gray beard who had heaps of old Triumph parts and scored me a '68 frame and BCS bolt on hard tail for next to nothing. The front loop has been raked so I'm not too sure about it for what I'm going for. I found another front loop off a T120R to use in case.

Blacktopbandit
11-08-2010, 6:25 PM
This is the frame that was raked. I'll figure out the exact rake later. Well turns out my picture files are too large so i have to figure out how to shrink them.

LinkBelt
11-08-2010, 6:35 PM
Go with the raked frame. Chopped Trumps Rule!!!!!!!:killerjob:

Blacktopbandit
11-08-2010, 6:46 PM
Once i got the front end on i think i like it too. Have a 21" front rim waiting to lace up to the stock hub to throw up front and a 16" drop center for the rear.

So the first day i got stuck into it. Removed all the tank, seat, electrics.

Blacktopbandit
11-08-2010, 7:00 PM
I've pulled every thing off it now and its just sitting on my lift as you see in the previous pic's waiting for my next days off to get stuck in.

Parts i have that are ready to go on once its all ready to be mocked up..

Rebuild carb (all new gaskets and o-rings)
Engine gasket kit
Cocktail shaker exhausts
Chrome headers
3 gas tanks to choose from
Joe Hunt Magneto
Foot pegs , kicker and shift knob rubbers
Oil bag

LinkBelt
11-08-2010, 7:04 PM
I think mine has a bit more rake to it but it is very much alike cept mine is a pre unit frame with a unit motor. Check it out if you want thread title is first build and feel free to leave feedback. Can't want to see yours come along.

CMA406
11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
if you wanna sell the stock front loop you got lemme know

Blacktopbandit
11-09-2010, 4:41 AM
if you wanna sell the stock front loop you got lemme know

Will do mate, but i think which ever frame i don't use will be the starting point for the next Build. If i do decide to sell I'll let you know.

Blacktopbandit
11-09-2010, 6:36 PM
Not much progress today. Pulled a bit of the motor apart now that its off the floor and in my home made stand. Don't think the alternator looks healthy. Can anyone advise if this is an issue and if and how i can stop this from happening in the future? thanks

Blacktopbandit
11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Down to waiting on the last of the parts to arrive before i begin mocking everything up. So i have bought a little Lincoln Electric MIG to learn to weld. Never done it and never tried it but sick of sitting and watching my mate weld up my stuff so i dove in. This is what its all about right? Building your own machine to be proud of.

CMA406
11-24-2010, 7:52 AM
Down to waiting on the last of the parts to arrive before i begin mocking everything up. So i have bought a little Lincoln Electric MIG to learn to weld. Never done it and never tried it but sick of sitting and watching my mate weld up my stuff so i dove in. This is what its all about right? Building your own machine to be proud of.

exactly, and great choice of machine. i have a hobart MIG (made by miller), and the thing has paid for itself probably 3 times over. My advice would be run gas not flux core, get some books from the library, and practice your ass off before doing anything on a bike. In fact, a great first project to weld is a cart for your welder, that way youll always remeber how shitty of a welder you used to be:D at least for me thats how it worked. MIG welding is not rocket science, and IMO an absolutley neccessary tool for any one building a bike in thier garage. But there are lots of expert fabricators on here that know 100 times wwhat i ido....The david bird DVD from lowbrow on MIG is also an option...

Blacktopbandit
11-24-2010, 8:39 AM
That's what i was thinking. Have you seen the DVD from Lowbrow? I have their 101,102 and engine rebuild dvd's and they have been a huge help. I can only imagine that the MIG one will be equally as informative. Off to metal supermarket to get my cart material.

CMA406
12-05-2010, 3:38 AM
yea the mig dvd from lowbrow is good, i would reccomend it, a tad elementary, but overall very useful.

and hey, im serious about that extra front loop ya got! im on the prowl....

Blacktopbandit
12-05-2010, 6:58 AM
Cheers, i'll check it out. I know what you mean about the front loop. It took me forever to find one. Have the other mocked up as a roller now as well. Just waiting for a motor and i have project #3. Thinking LSR bike. Give's me another excuse for a road trip south of the border for motorcycle events. There are a few floating around up here on kijiji but people are asking way too much for them. i'll let you know if i see another floating around and snag it for you. Shippings a bitch but i'm sure something can be arranged.

Blacktopbandit
02-28-2011, 5:55 PM
Well its been a while and i really haven't done much since last posting. I have the cases split and everything looks good. One thing i did find weird was that it didnt have the Tach drive thimble, rotary breather valve or spring. Has anyone heard of them not being installed on certain years?

Blacktopbandit
03-01-2011, 5:21 PM
Hit up Wes from four aces and he gave me the answer. phew!

so every thing is apart and looks good. Need a few things but nothing major.

Blacktopbandit
04-29-2011, 6:22 PM
Still waiting on stuff to get the motor back together. Got my stuff back from the painter and am even more stoked to get this thing back together and on the road. Bits and pieces getting chromed and haven't decided which front end to use.

crush1776
06-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Aamazing paintwork, who did it?

Blacktopbandit
06-03-2011, 1:57 PM
Aamazing paintwork, who did it?
Thanks man. It was done by a cat called Derek over at Paint Werx up here in the great white north eh! Shelburne, Ontario, Canada. I can PM his details if your interested.

LinkBelt
06-04-2011, 6:27 PM
Yes sir Bandit that paint is awesomely beautiful. can't wait to see the final result of your build Bro.

Blacktopbandit
06-05-2011, 8:13 AM
Yes sir Bandit that paint is awesomely beautiful. can't wait to see the final result of your build Bro.

Me also Link. Progress is slow. Engine is still in a million different pieces waiting to go back together. At this rate I'm just hoping to get to ride it before the season ends.

Joneo
06-05-2011, 8:46 AM
about the alternator with the repair ,mine looks like that also ,,yet it works fine,,i used epoxy to seal wire ends and splices together no problems 5 years