PDA

View Full Version : T100C Electrical Issue: Good Batt. No Lights, Won't Start.

Bret
10-30-2010, 1:57 AM
I was riding my '68 T100C tonight and all was good. Stopped by to see a friend and when I went to start it it would turn over. Usually it starts on kick 1 or 2. BTW the headlight was strong. After trying several times I thought I might have flooded it so I let it sit. Tried again - nothing. Turned it on and I had no lights. I popped the seat and since it was dark I blindly jiggled the battery wires. Turned it on again and I had lights and was able to kick it over.

We rode to a restaurant a couple of miles away and when I got there I popped the seat again to have a better look in the light. I saw that the red/black wire coming off the rectifier had broken at the connector. Lucky for me one of the guys we had dinner with was an electrician so we able to replace the connector and get it back on. When I tried turning it on there was nothing again. Dead. No lights nothing.

We tested the battery and it's good. We checked the rectifier and it seems good. I know nothing about electrical but I want to learn. I looked at my Clymer book but it seemed too intimidating. Can anyone point me in a direction on where/how to start troubleshooting? BTW it's a 12V system with a Boyer Ignition. I'll post pics soon. Thanks in advance.

Bret
10-30-2010, 1:52 PM
Big thanks to Jakespade on the JJ. ! He came over and we basically went through the connections at the rectifier, and fuses, scraped and cleaned them up and that did the trick. Lights up and starts fine.

CMA406
10-30-2010, 2:23 PM
yea ma dirty old shitty connections play a big role in electrical problems. Whenever i do wiring i make 100% sure to be clean and titdy as hell when making connections.

Bret
10-30-2010, 6:12 PM
Yeah I picked me up some of that "diabetic grease" to put on my 'lectrical connections to prevent it from happening again.