PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a lot about axles?

MG
10-21-2010, 11:13 PM
I am just wondering is an axle just an axle or are some tougher than others? I thought about making my own but not sure what they make them out of or if they need to be heat treated. I am building a rigid and need a 11/16" axle for a star hub wheel but the stock ones ( the only 11/16" I can find) are to short so I need to make one or shave down a 3/4". Any help would be great. Should I really look into what I am buying or just any axle will do?

BullyGuns
10-22-2010, 4:35 AM
If you can do it, then do it. I think being able to say that you made the friggin axle would be too cool.

That said, there's a guy on ebay selling axles out of hardened steel, any length, any diameter for a reasonable price. For me, in a time vs. money debate, time almost always wins. I don't want to spend a week on finding and waiting for something to ship then the required time in the garage, etc. if I can just git'er done. If you're a machinist and you can do it on lunch break, different story.

Good luck.

C

53rigid
10-22-2010, 9:30 AM
If you can do it, then do it. I think being able to say that you made the friggin axle would be too cool.

That said, there's a guy on ebay selling axles out of hardened steel, any length, any diameter for a reasonable price. For me, in a time vs. money debate, time almost always wins. I don't want to spend a week on finding and waiting for something to ship then the required time in the garage, etc. if I can just git'er done. If you're a machinist and you can do it on lunch break, different story.

Good luck.

C

+1 on the e-bay guy.I bought one from him for around 40 bucks. You measure he cuts and threads. He also sells some cool pike nuts for the ends.... Type in Chopper axle and he will appear in the e-bay search....